IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Exploring Mt Sharp north of the dunes - Part 2: Beyond Big Sky, Site 50-51, sol 1148-1171, October 29, 2015-November 23, 2015
Phil Stooke
post Oct 30 2015, 12:46 AM
Post #1

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

A drive on sol 1148 - looks like we are near the southern bend of Cut Bank Valley. This perspective view of a hazcam image is the only visual cue I have so far of its location. It looks along the west-running branch of the valley and its southern side.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Oct 30 2015, 08:04 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6853

There will be a one-week suspension of MRO’s communication relay duty. Curiosity will use a different orbiter for relaying its data to Earth while MRO is out of service. Full details: Rewrite of Onboard Memory Planned for NASA Mars Orbiter

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post Oct 30 2015, 10:22 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 353

The Navcam L panoramic view on Sol 1148.

Jan van Driel

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 30 2015, 01:22 PM
Post #4

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Great pan, thanks! Here is a circular reprojection of it - you can see how we are looking along the valley now. The path ahead looks a bit smoother.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
nogal
post Oct 30 2015, 04:18 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4824

This is such a dificult terrain to be driving on (just see the 3D route map in Emily's blog) I can't resist adding a short map here.
Using Jan's excelent pan, Phil's reprojection, and after a lot of visual comparisons, here is where I think MSL is. A bit SSE of the location indicated by Phil.
Fernando

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Herobrine
post Oct 30 2015, 08:33 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 7408

NAVCAM travel animation for Sol 1148 is 45 frames.
Here's a small preview of the left NAVCAM's view:
Attached Image
And here is the full-size (512x256) stereo pair animation for Parallel and Cross-Eye viewing. File sizes are 7 MiB each.

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Oct 31 2015, 01:30 AM
Post #7

Mission Update from Ryan Anderson: Sols 1148-1152: Driving and Contact Science. LINK
Apologies for the lack of an update on Wednesday this week! Lauren and I were both in a training class, and Ken was traveling so none of us were able to post here. That means that today’s post covers five sols of planning!
The sol 1148 plan started off with a Mastcam observation of the target McLeod and a 10x1 mosaic to patch a gap in the mosaic from sol 1144. After that, we drove for 32 meters, followed by standard post-drive imaging. On Sol 1149, ChemCam did a bunch of calibration observations and Navcam and Mastcam did some standard atmospheric observations.
The drive on Sol 1148 put us in range of some interesting rocks, and the Sol 1150-1152 plan is focusing on analyzing our new surroundings. On Sol 1150, Mastcam has an 8x4 mosaic of some interesting layered rocks, followed by ChemCam and Mastcam observations of the targets “Dunkirk” and “Duperow”. After the remote sensing is done, there are three APXS observations of the targets “Exshaw”, “Ellis Canyon”, and “Ennis”.
On Sol 1151, Mastcam has an 18x2 mosaic of the “Carlile” area and a 9x2 mosaic of the “East Glacier” target. This is followed by ChemCam observations of Ennis and Exshaw and the accompanying Mastcam documentation images. In the afternoon on Sol 1151, there will be a short drive to the southeast which should provide data to allow a longer drive in the next plan. Finally, on Sol 1152, the plan is to do Navcam, Mastcam, and ChemCam atmospheric observations, plus some ChemCam focus tests.

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Oct 31 2015, 12:48 PM
Post #8

Sol 1148 L-MastCam 'drive direction mosaic'

Flickr Original Size 5874 x 1516 pixels LINK
Imgur mirror LINK

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Oct 31 2015, 07:04 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 7273

I stitched together the mosaic of McLeod from Sol 1148. One interesting feature in this outcrop are small white clasts. They almost look like rounded versions of the feldspar lathes that Curiosity has seen in other rocks.

I had to downsize my version to keep it at a manageable size (the original stitch was something like 60mb), so a lot of smaller detail got lost. Here's a link to one of the full-res subframes that illustrates those "pebbles" nicely.

And a couple of NavCam postcards. Been a while since I've found a good set of NavCam images that I thought would make good postcards.

Sol 1144

Sol 1148

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Nov 1 2015, 08:42 AM
Post #10

Lovely Lamination's: Sol 1148 L-MastCam. Roughly assembled with MS ICE, stretched contrast and sharpened to highlight the laminations...

Flickr Original Size 3912 x 2560 pixels LINK
Imgur mirror LINK

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 1 2015, 09:40 PM
Post #11

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

QUOTE (jccwrt @ Oct 31 2015, 11:04 AM) *
I stitched together the mosaic of McLeod from Sol 1148. One interesting feature in this outcrop are small white clasts. They almost look like rounded versions of the feldspar lathes that Curiosity has seen in other rocks.
Those white things are interesting. They're just at the limit of what you can see in the JPEG compression so I'm not sure about a "rounded" shape (though I guess at least I agree with you that they're not lath-shaped, more equant). They are very white! Well spotted.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Nov 1 2015, 11:06 PM
Post #12

I think this MAHLI shot from Sol 1150 was taken of the same unit, although not in the same location. Some of those clasts even look like they've got an oolitc texture!

Attached Image

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 1 2015, 11:09 PM
Post #13

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Some of them seem to have darker colored centers?

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Nov 1 2015, 11:28 PM
Post #14

Yeah. At first glance they look a lot like ooids to me (and you probably know this Emily, but for the non-geologists out there) it's where a clast rolls around on the seafloor or lakebed and collects a nice smooth mineral coating, sort of like a jawbreaker. On Earth that mineral is almost always calcium carbonate, which seems a bit weird for Gale Crater and is making me feel like I'm shooting from the hip with this interpretation.

Oolitic limestones are pretty common where I live, so I'm inclined to see them everywhere. laugh.gif Most of the time they're packed together, but sometimes in lime mudstones (which these obviously aren't) you'll occasionally see a stray ooid or two. In this case I think reworking would be more likely for them to end up in this kind of rock. So if they are ooids, that kind of begs the question about the environment they formed in.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Nov 2 2015, 05:20 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 152

Lovely view on 1151. Anaglyph:
Attached Image

And cross-eyed:
Attached Image

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:36 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.