6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Juno perijove 8, September 1, 2017
scalbers
post Sep 24 2017, 12:00 AM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 184

Nice to see these realistically processed views. One fine point is that with such high resolution we might be able to resolve a region along the limb where a high clear portion of the atmosphere would produce a thin blue layer due to Rayleigh scattering. Is the limb fully shown in these images?

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Oct 1 2017, 12:43 PM
Post #62

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

The limb is not fully shown. The images are processed by creating a simple cylindrical map and then using the map to render an image. This 'truncates' the limb near the 1 bar level. That said, I suspect the resolution at the limb isn't higher in the JunoCam images than in many of the Voyager images since the resolution at the limb is much lower than at the nadir (I haven't computed the exact resolution at the limb though).

I have experimented a bit with creating JunoCam color composites showing the limb but the results aren't very interesting. The best processed Voyager image I know of showing the limb is this one from Voyager 1 and there is also a Voyager 2 mosaic. These are also probably the highest resolution color images showing blue sky at the limb that can be processed from the Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 data.

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Oct 6 2017, 07:51 PM
Post #63

IMG to PNG GOD

Image PJ8_110, approximately true color/contrast:

Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image

And with enhanced color and contrast. The effects of the solar illumination have been removed:

Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

Lots of cloud shadows are visible, especially in the 'central' image (the one where Jupiter's limb isn't visible). Possible vertical relief can also be seen at various locations.

And the relevant metadata:

IMAGE_TIME = 2017-09-01T21:37:50.343
MISSION_PHASE_NAME = PERIJOVE 8
PRODUCT_ID = JNCE_2017244_08C00110_V01
SPACECRAFT_ALTITUDE = 9838.0
SPACECRAFT_NAME = JUNO
SUB_SPACECRAFT_LATITUDE = 41.77
SUB_SPACECRAFT_LONGITUDE = 310.6919
TITLE = POI: AB Territory
Resolution at nadir: ~6.6 km/pixel

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Oct 7 2017, 08:28 PM
Post #64

IMG to PNG GOD

The central image in the above post has some of the best examples of direct imaging of (probable) cloud elevation differences that I have seen in images of Jupiter. Here is an enlarged crop from the image with some annotations:

Attached Image

The sun illuminates the clouds from the west (left) in this image. Keeping this in mind it's looking very much like we are seeing 'topography' at various locations, in particular around the vortex left of center:

A: Clearly defined 'valleys'.
B: More subtle 'valleys' than in A.
C: Elevated and elongated high altitude 'walls' of clouds that are apparently roughly parallel to the wind direction around the vortex.
D: Elevated clouds that have a more irregular shape than the clouds in C.

There are also some some subtle indications that narrower and subtle 'valleys' and 'ridges' may spiral into the vortex toward its center.

It is possible that these features are due to clouds of different color/brightness and not due to altitude differences. However, looking at the image, altitude differences look to me like the obvious (and more likely) explanation.

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Oct 16 2017, 09:52 PM
Post #65

IMG to PNG GOD

Image PJ8_124, true color/contrast version and an enhanced version:

Attached Image
Attached Image

In the enhanced version the effects of global illumination have been removed. This reveals various details in the dimly lit areas near the terminator and near the south pole.

And an orthographic view showing the south pole:

Attached Image

A latitude/longitude grid is included. This reveals the location of Jupiter's south pole. It's remarkable how different Jupiter's polar areas are from Saturn's. They look much more irregular and chaotic, the belt/zone structure breaks down and in particular there is no vortex centered on Jupiter's pole as in Saturn's case.

Another interesting feature is the relatively narrow, curved band of haze (?) not far from the pole.

A subset of the metadata associated with the original data:

IMAGE_TIME = 2017-09-01T22:34:02.788
PRODUCT_ID = JNCE_2017244_08C00124_V01
SPACECRAFT_ALTITUDE = 60546.9 km
SPACECRAFT_NAME = JUNO
SUB_SPACECRAFT_LATITUDE = -71.5392
SUB_SPACECRAFT_LONGITUDE = 355.0833
TITLE = POI: South Polar region
Resolution at nadir: ~40 km/pixel

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Oct 18 2017, 06:20 PM
Post #66

Member No.: 6780

John Rogers (BAA) posted his detailed and interesting PJ08 report.

Note, that global maps will be increasingly difficult to obtain for the next perijoves, and likely impossible at some point.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 19 2017, 03:15 AM
Post #67

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Jupiter's south pole is a "vortex crystal" with a stable pentagonal arrangement of cyclones: https://twitter.com/jtuttlekeane/status/920409321246199814

Work by Fachreddin Tabataba-Vakili. You can see part of the pentagon clearly in Bjorn's polar projection.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Oct 19 2017, 09:43 AM
Post #68

I doubt, that these things are cleared for public release as of yet.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Oct 19 2017, 02:44 PM
Post #69

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Gerald @ Oct 19 2017, 01:43 AM) *
I doubt, that these things are cleared for public release as of yet.

If you don't want to release something, then don't stand up at a public conference and present it.

There's a DPS abstract online for this, although it has some coy language: "These observations reveal a turbulent environment with an unexpected structure of cyclonic polar vortices."

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Oct 19 2017, 03:57 PM
Post #70

After some more investigation, I think, that we are on the safe side of the grey area, as long as we don't comment publicly on the contents of the tweets.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Oct 19 2017, 04:04 PM
Post #71

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Gerald @ Oct 19 2017, 07:57 AM) *
After some more investigation, I think, that we are on the safe side of the grey area...

You mean "you are". My name's not on the abstract. sad.gif

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Oct 19 2017, 04:16 PM
Post #72

You are in Candy's team. Without your camera neither Candy's nor my name would be on the abstract, if it could have been written at all.

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Oct 23 2017, 11:18 PM
Post #73

IMG to PNG GOD

Yet another collection of images, this is from PJ8_111 (approximately true color/contrast):

Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image

And a version with enhanced contrast and color. The effects of global illumination have been removed:

Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

The subspacecraft latitude is ~36 degrees north. Areas around this latitude are particularly photogenic in the JunoCam imagery with lots of cloud shadows, small vortices, various colors, vertical relief etc. For example, there are also these images from PJ6 where the subpscecraft latitude is similar (there are several more versions processed from this particular data set in the PJ6 thread).

Finally a subset of the metadata:

IMAGE_TIME = 2017-09-01T21:40:20.749
PRODUCT_ID = JNCE_2017244_08C00111_V01
SPACECRAFT_ALTITUDE = 7545.3 km
SPACECRAFT_NAME = JUNO
SUB_SPACECRAFT_LATITUDE = 35.6148
SUB_SPACECRAFT_LONGITUDE = 312.671
TITLE = POI: Turbulent sector of the NNTB
Resolution at nadir: ~5.1 km/pixel

+Quote Post
Brian Swift
post Nov 5 2017, 09:15 PM
Post #74

Member No.: 8250

My PJ08 approach movie. PJ08 Approach Movie Has a number of shadows (or maybe sensor artifacts, I haven't investigated yet).
PJ08 departure movie. PJ08 Departure Movie
Coloration along edges due to imperfections in my camera model.

+Quote Post
Sean
post Dec 18 2017, 05:15 AM
Post #75

Member No.: 7837

PJ08_108 update [G.Eichstadt]

Detail

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:03 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.