IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

21 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL Post Landing - Commissioning Period & Early Observations, Commissioning Activity Period 1B - Sols 9 through 16
elakdawalla
post Aug 14 2012, 06:24 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Now that Curiosity has her driving and science software installed and is ready to proceed, I figured it was time for a new thread. Please keep sol 0-8 discussion in the previous thread (including discussion of the full-frame MARDIs, as they come down), and post new stuff here.

Things to look forward to: a Mastcam pan of the top of the mountain to be uplinked in the next sol or two; testing of the steering actuators on sol 13; first drive on sol 15. This period, which Grotzinger told me would take "no fewer than 6 sols," will be followed by an "Intermission," during which the science team may choose to drive to a new site (not very far away) for Commissioning Activity Period 2, when they'll commission the arm and its instruments.

Also, an admin note: we allowed a lot of chit-chat in the landing thread because we were all so excited about the successful landing smile.gif But as we move forward, I'd like to ask people to be mindful of forum rule 2.2. The strength of this forum is in its high signal-to-noise ratio; avoid posting things that just say "wow, awesome" or "I agree." Please keep chit-chat to the chit-chat forum.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
xflare
post Aug 14 2012, 06:56 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 84

Will that Mountain Pan be with Mastcam 34 or 100 or both?

+Quote Post
Errol Coder
post Aug 14 2012, 07:25 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6382

Do we know the extent of the pan? A narrow field of view capturing the peak and nearby foot hills, or a full sweep capturing edge to edge?

--------------------

+Quote Post
craigmcg
post Aug 14 2012, 07:26 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 336

As we look forward what will the bottlenecks to reaching the primary science target be? It seems there are a few:

- available power
- ability to get data back from the rover (limited number of overflights), one set of commands per day
- limited ability to operate autonomously
- "distractions" from other science targets
- wheel speed

Any others? Which one is the biggest limitation?

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Aug 14 2012, 07:31 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1200

Anomalies. From my initial analysis it seems that the area is pretty benign both in terms of slopes and in terms of obstacles, therefore we will be able to drive "blind" most of the time and use autonav to extend the drives beyond what we can see. We don't have a good sense on how far we can drive per Sol yet.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Aug 16 2012, 01:09 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 13

Wow, some images just came in from ChemCam and NAVCAM that were taken just 4 hours ago on sol 10 (that's to-sol). Curiosity and its relays firing on all cylinders.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dshaffer
post Aug 16 2012, 04:25 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 29

QUOTE (jmknapp @ Aug 16 2012, 08:09 AM) *
Wow, some images just came in from ChemCam and NAVCAM that were taken just 4 hours ago on sol 10 (that's to-sol). Curiosity and its relays firing on all cylinders.

How do you get to the Sol 10 page from this basic link - it doesn't indicate any images beyond Sol 3?

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/

+Quote Post
craigmcg
post Aug 16 2012, 04:31 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 336

There is a link where you can view images by sol vs. by camera in the upper RH corner.

+Quote Post
Errol Coder
post Aug 16 2012, 04:58 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 6382

What are we looking at with the new ChemCam-RMI images? There seems to be circles passing before it? These some sort of filters or similar tech that it will end up using, or taken with the cap on?

--------------------

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Aug 16 2012, 05:08 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 13

A boatload of images coming in right now--some beautiful mastcam shots from sol 3 (sure is a hazy place though) and about 90 MARDI shots of the ground under Curiosity right around the time of the landing.

Here's a link to my browser app right now, but bear in mind the list scrolls down as new images come in:

curiositymsl.com

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 16 2012, 05:56 PM
Post #11

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Errol Coder @ Aug 16 2012, 09:58 AM) *
What are we looking at with the new ChemCam-RMI images?

Its calibration target.

http://www.msl-chemcam.com/index.php?menu=...sup&art=207

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 16 2012, 06:35 PM
Post #12

Administrator

Member No.: 454

The Navcam images taken at the same time provide context. The Chemcam is located above the left Navcam, so look at the center of the left Navcam images and you'll see the Chemcam cal target.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Aug 17 2012, 12:12 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 615

I know that this is obscure in terms of imagery, but here's the ChemCam Sol10 calibration target images (inset with flight spare). cool.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post
stewjack
post Aug 17 2012, 04:05 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 379

About an hour and a half to today's (Friday) Curiosity Rover Teleconference
I hope this information is correct. I am posting early just in case someone wants to correct me!

NASA To Host Curiosity Rover Teleconference Aug. 17

10:30 a.m. PDT (1:30 p.m. EDT, 1730 UTC), Friday, Aug. 17

Apparently it will NOT be on NASATV - it WILL be streamed on the Curiosity Cam Ustream channel
http://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl

Mission controllers at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., are checking out Curiosity's subsystems
and 10 instruments. Curiosity is in the opening days of a two-year mission to investigate whether conditions have been
favorable for microbial life and preserving clues in the rocks about possible past life.

Mission team members are "living" on Mars time. A Martian day is approximately 40 minutes longer than an Earth day,
meaning team members start their shift 40 minutes later each day. The scheduling of this teleconference and other Curiosity
media events is determined by their availability.

Visuals will be available at the start of the teleconference at: http://go.nasa.gov/curiositytelecon.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 17 2012, 04:56 PM
Post #15

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

The audio itself will be right here ; http://www.nasa.gov/news/media/newsaudio/index.html

+Quote Post

21 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:45 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.