10 Pages V  « < 8 9 10  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Phoenix - spring images, HiRISE views of Phoenix after the long, long winter
fredk
post Apr 18 2010, 02:44 PM
Post #136

Group: Members
Member No.: 152

One point that hasn't been mentioned is that even if you register the ground around Phoenix perfectly between the "before" and "after" frames, then Phoenix itself won't be registered if the viewing angle is different between the two images. That's because the top of the body and arrays is something like a metre above the ground. If there's a difference in viewing angle of order 30 degrees that would produce a significant shift in deck and arrays. This might explain why it looks like Phoenix shifted/collapsed. This could be corrected for given those viewing angles.

In terms of the shadows, it's possible that topography or albedo are confusing the issue.

My impression is that both arrays are still up, and just coated in dust so they match the appearance of the ground. If one had tipped, the illumination angle on that array would be very different from the ground and it should look considerably brighter or dimmer than the ground.

I'm also curious whether the small frosty patches just north of Phoenix could coincide with the major digs, like Dodo/Goldilocks or Snow White? Could the ice exposed in those digs encourage frost/ice around them? My guess is the visible patches are too far from the body, but I haven't done any measurements.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Apr 18 2010, 04:18 PM
Post #137

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

Good point. Now, if someone could identify the IDs of those two images the information about the "viewing angle" can be easily found on their respective webpages.

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Apr 18 2010, 04:30 PM
Post #138

Member No.: 4270

What kind of difference in angle would be required to make an apparent shift of more than the diameter of the lander?

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
fredk
post Apr 18 2010, 04:42 PM
Post #139

Member No.: 152

To me it looks like the shift is only roughly half a solar array diameter. That would be easy to achieve.

+Quote Post
Deimos
post Apr 18 2010, 08:24 PM
Post #140

Martian Photographer

Member No.: 183

QUOTE (fredk @ Apr 18 2010, 02:44 PM) *
I'm also curious whether the small frosty patches just north of Phoenix could coincide with the major digs...

The patches seem to be about where the lander + 2 arrays shadow would have been in mid-afternoon 1-2 months before the picture. They don't line up with the digs, and seem to far away.

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Apr 19 2010, 07:41 AM
Post #141

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (fredk @ Apr 18 2010, 10:44 AM) *
In terms of the shadows, it's possible that topography or albedo are confusing the issue.

...My impression is that both arrays are still up, and just coated in dust so they match the appearance of the ground. If one had tipped, the illumination angle on that array would be very different from the ground and it should look considerably brighter or dimmer than the ground....
I'm pretty confused as to what I'm looking at. Still, it seems quite an accomplishment of circumstances to eliminate any trace of a shadow from the array on the right side. What if it is not tipped, but laying flat on the surface?

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Apr 19 2010, 07:44 AM
Post #142

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (Deimos @ Apr 18 2010, 04:24 PM) *
The patches seem to be about where the lander + 2 arrays shadow would have been...
I also think those are patches of ice that were in Phoenix's shadow.
After I first thought they were reflections of a Phoenix blown to smithereens! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Paolo
post May 14 2010, 08:00 AM
Post #143

Member No.: 1004

Final Attempts to Hear from Mars Phoenix form 17 to 21 May

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 8 9 10
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:26 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.