ljk4-1
post Dec 12 2005, 08:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 430

Robotic 'spiders' could be the key to building large-scale structures in space,
according to ESA's Advanced Concepts Team. The tiny mechanical spiders would
inch their way across large nets of fabric in space performing small tasks or
lining up to create an antenna or some other structure.

Full story:

http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMHVXVLWFE_index_0.html

Exploring Caves with Hopping Microbots

Astrobiology Magazine Dec. 8, 2005

NASA-funded researchers are
developing "hopping microbots"
capable of exploring hazardous
terrain, including underground caves
and one day, to search for life
below the surface of...

http://www.kurzweilai.net/email/newsRedire...sID=5103&m=7610

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Dec 23 2005, 12:06 PM
Post #2

Guests

On the excellent " The Planets " DVD set of BBC, Steve Squyres describe a robotic mission to the moon Europa... this is illustrated by a great animation showing a landing on Europa, melt down through the icy crust and underwater movement of a futuristic robotic probe ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Dec 23 2005, 02:24 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Dec 23 2005, 07:06 AM)
On the excellent " The Planets " DVD set of BBC, Steve Squyres describe a robotic mission to the moon Europa... this is illustrated by a great animation showing a landing on Europa, melt down through the icy crust and underwater movement of a futuristic robotic probe  ohmy.gif

On the PBS special Life Beyond Earth, produced by Timothy Ferris, they had a segment depicting a lander on Europa and its ice-burrowing cryobot, which you can see a still of here:

http://www.pbs.org/lifebeyondearth/alone/europa.html

--------------------
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Jan 11 2006, 02:28 PM
Post #4

Robonauts

Boston Globe January 9, 2006

The new robot designs for space
exploration are part of a broader
shift toward a vision of robots that
are partners, not simply
remote-controlled probes.

At the Computer Science and Artificial
Intelligence Laboratory at MIT,
robots are developing the skills
they'll need to be useful to people.

The Mertz robot recognizes faces and
distinguishes...

http://www.kurzweilai.net/email/newsRedire...sID=5198&m=7610

--------------------

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Jan 16 2006, 04:39 PM
Post #5

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Robot

http://www.astrobio.net/news/article1834.html

Will robots one day rule the world? For decades this notion has both fascinated
and terrified humans, our hungry imagination fed by Hollywood blockbusters and
sci-fi novels. Now a new generation of robots promises a breakthrough in the
world of Artificial Intelligence as they become capable of cognitive thought
processes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_exobioquest_*
post Jan 16 2006, 06:24 PM
Post #6

Guests

There are three futures of robotics:
1. Robots will eventually take over and kill us off.
2. Robots will forever be our slaves.
3. Humans will become robots.

After a technological singularity anyone of these could happen.

I personally think the 3rd is most likely.
First, A artificial intelligence could be many times smarter then a person, yet still not sentient! Let me explain: urgers are needed for consciousness and sentience, if you have no desires you will just sit there like dumb sh!t and do absolutely nothing unless commanded to, basically like our present computers do. Us humans are full of urges but all of them we were designed with or designed with a propensity for (either by evolution or some deity what ever you want to believe). A well made AI will be designed with one urge: follow human orders!, it will do nothing else no matter how smart it is, so why would it rebel against its masters that it loves so much? No matter how stupid us humans are it will still do as we command, like a mother loving a retarded child.

Second, if technology was available that could make you immortal, to allow you to feel and think things a million times better then your present body and mind could ever imagine, would you take up the offer? I sure as hell would, and those that reject the technology, specifically militantly will have little chance of victory against robotic armies controlled by cyborgs with far greater strategic and tactical planning abilities then any talking hairless monkey has. The rich and the powerful will likely be the first to have access to such technology, and since they already rule the world as is, they likely will not lose control of it simply because they upgraded their minds and bodies.

Now imagine space travel without human form. Human space travel requires huge logistic to support organic bodies that need food, water and air. A robot will need only a source of electricity and a minimal of elements (for repairs and replication). Imagine sending robots to another star system at sub-light speeds, highly intelligent robots that are either non-sentient or carry the emulated minds of humans, they can spend hundred or even thousand of years cruising with ease. Time is nothing when you’re immortal and have a controllable sense of boredom. They will set up a base at their target star system on anything, even something as small and inhabitable as an asteroid, set up communications and then you can upload your mind there at the speed of light. No massive colony ships, no need for faster then light travel, no need for livable conditions. If some futurists are right unmanned space travel will be the only and best means of accessing space by the end of this century.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- ljk4-1   Future Robot Space Explorers   Dec 12 2005, 08:29 PM
- - ljk4-1   A novel astronaut training system, innovative plan...   Dec 23 2005, 02:15 AM
- - lyford   Interesting Variable Geometry "Walkers" ...   Dec 23 2005, 05:27 AM
- - PhilCo126   On the excellent " The Planets " DVD set...   Dec 23 2005, 12:06 PM
|- - ljk4-1   QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Dec 23 2005, 07:06 AM)On t...   Dec 23 2005, 02:24 PM
|- - ljk4-1   Robonauts Boston Globe January 9, 2006 *********...   Jan 11 2006, 02:28 PM
|- - ljk4-1   Crouching Tiger, Hidden Robot http://www.astrobio...   Jan 16 2006, 04:39 PM
|- - exobioquest   There are three futures of robotics: 1. Robots wil...   Jan 16 2006, 06:24 PM
|- - ljk4-1   Spacecraft, heal thyself Building spacecraft is a...   Jan 20 2006, 03:00 PM
|- - ljk4-1   CRAYFISH HELP NASA EXPLORE COSMOS (Space & Ast...   Jan 26 2006, 05:24 PM
|- - ljk4-1   Physics, abstract physics/0602003 From: Sergi Val...   Feb 2 2006, 09:35 PM
|- - ljk4-1   Thinking out of the box: how to challenge conventi...   Feb 13 2006, 04:57 PM
- - ljk4-1   Robotic 'pack mule' displays stunning refl...   Mar 10 2006, 03:55 AM
|- - ljk4-1   Next on NOVA: "The Great Robot Race" ht...   Mar 28 2006, 03:46 PM
- - lyford   Um, yikes? Engineers Unveil Futuristic Unmanned ...   Apr 30 2006, 05:52 PM
|- - Tom Tamlyn   QUOTE (lyford @ Apr 30 2006, 01:52 PM) I ...   Apr 30 2006, 08:12 PM
- - ljk4-1   ENERGY TECH - Researchers Focus On Spacecraft Pow...   May 2 2006, 03:32 PM
|- - The Messenger   QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ May 2 2006, 09:32 AM...   May 2 2006, 06:00 PM
|- - helvick   QUOTE (The Messenger @ May 2 2006, 06:00 ...   May 2 2006, 06:54 PM
- - tasp   {I have no special training in radar} However, I ...   May 2 2006, 04:00 PM
- - djellison   Or better, the craft called 'earth'. Radar...   May 2 2006, 04:09 PM
- - dvandorn   Hmmm... well, if you used a common transmission fo...   May 2 2006, 07:59 PM
- - helvick   QUOTE (dvandorn @ May 2 2006, 07:59 PM) H...   May 2 2006, 09:29 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:58 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.