Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Dec 16 2009, 10:23 PM
Post #197

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Repetitive work is my friend smile.gif I spend what little kid-less time I have thinking about how to develop the workflow, then while kids are around and are almost entirely distracting me I can perform a repetitive task with almost no brain cells focused on the problem.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Dec 17 2009, 12:11 AM
Post #198

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

Good, because repetitive work is my enemy. I would have gotten bogged down in the idiosyncrasies of individual images and never finished.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 21 2009, 01:38 PM
Post #199

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

09_352 (Dec 18th) Low Flyover Mosaic - GREAT sequencing boys, I think there's possibly a better flatfield to be made out of this as well!
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 21 2009, 01:51 PM
Post #200

Founder

09_349 as well...
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 21 2009, 02:25 PM
Post #201

Founder

And a second set from Dec 15th
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Dec 21 2009, 02:31 PM
Post #202

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

QUOTE (djellison @ Dec 21 2009, 02:38 PM) *
I think there's possibly a better flatfield to be made out of this as well!

Definitely more varied material to work with than usual, will have to force myself to attempt improving the flatfield one of these days.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Dec 31 2009, 05:15 AM
Post #203

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

Composite of Valles Marineris and Argyre Planitia (and all the cool-o stuff in between) from December 23, 2009 MEX-VMC images:

Attached Image

Full resolution and detailed processing methods here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/4230483496/

-Mike

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jan 12 2010, 01:25 AM
Post #204

Mars Express, baby!

Image Capture at Mars: January 11, 2010 at 01:43 UTC
Image Arrival on Earth & Post to MEX-VMC Blog: January 11, 2010 04:11 UTC
Image processed and posted to Flickr: January 12, 2010 01:20:53 UTC

Attached Image

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jan 12 2010, 04:46 AM
Post #205

QUOTE (ormstont @ Dec 15 2009, 06:51 AM) *
We got an opportunity to do a low-altitude limb pass so caught quite a few shots of the planet limb and there appear to be some very interesting clouds on these images.

Nice impressive detail of the upper atmosphere clouds!

Attached Image

This is Image 57 with the limb masked out and Image 58 underneath it. Very little additional color balancing was done. Processing details here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jan 12 2010, 09:20 AM
Post #206

Member No.: 523

Very cool stuff, Mike!

--------------------

+Quote Post
H. Griebel
post Jan 26 2010, 04:10 PM
Post #207

Member No.: 5190

Dear VMC comunity,
My name is Hannes Griebel and I work on the Mars Express Flight Control team. I am a spacecraft engineer and mission planner. Your excellent work has inspired me to spend some free time of my own processing VMC images. So far my image composites are only uploaded to my facebook account, as I have no flickr account (yet).

To improve things, I have recently taken an image north of Alba Mons in an attempt to create a flat fielding correction of the brightness variation across VMC images.
The reason why I chose this region is because it has a comparatively high albedo and is relatively smooth and featureless. Plus, a close-range VMC observation was scheduled anyway for northwest of Alba M. on January 14th, so it required no extra effort to squeeze the shot in. The relevant images are the first 17 of the set acquired on that day.

A calibration base file was chosen, which I converted into a grayscale and removed noise through averaging.
The gray-scale was then used to flat-field the raw VMC images, even before running the latest vmc2rgb. This procedure yielded the best results. Flatfielding an image after vmc2rgb processing did not yield quite as nice results, but also showed an improvement.

Image 10-014_17.42.41_VMC_Img_No_5.png yielded the best results of all calibration shots. One disadvantage of the image is that due to the spacecraft's inertial pointing mode, a tiny bit of limb is visible in the upper right hand corner, but from all tested shots it delivered the best results. An attempt to stack all calibration exposures with RegiStax did not yield better results, but since there is a lot more that can be done here and my knowledge in the field is limited, I leave it to someone else to optimize the brightness correction flat field. I believe it can get a lot better!

Here is my preliminary calibration flat field:
Attached Image

Here is an "unmolested" VMC raw image (only saved as PNG so it can be shown here). It's no.27 from the set acquired on December 29th, 2010:
Attached Image

Here is the image after processing as described:
Attached Image

And this is the image after converting the so corrected RAW with vmc2rgb into a png:
Attached Image

I'd be delighted to hear your opinion on the calibration shot and whether it works for you as well. If someone manages to provide a better version, I'd be naturally very happy to see it, as I am no image processing expert and can only marvel at the outstanding work published in this forum. Also, the time I have to spare for such things is unfortunately very limited. So I am certain that someone can do a much better job.

Until then, feel free to use my calibration image provided here at your leasure. It is in no way connected to my professional work in interplanetary space flight.

Have fun and keep it up! Your work is brilliant and much appreciated here at ESOC.
Hannes.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jan 26 2010, 06:53 PM
Post #208

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Thank you Hannes!!!

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
H. Griebel
post Jan 26 2010, 10:19 PM
Post #209

Following up on my last, here is an image composition of the Tharsis region, made from two recent observations. Map projection is cylindrical and annotated.
The individual images were processed as described in my earlier post. The so obtained pngs were then treated to noise removal by averaging, contrast enhanced, saturation enhanced and unsharpened. The images were then map projected and assembled. This was done manually since I do not have a software to do that for me (hence the brightness variations across the composite).

Here is the result:
Attached Image

Have fun,
Hannes.

+Quote Post
H. Griebel
post Jan 26 2010, 10:26 PM
Post #210

Here comes the globe projection of the same composite.

Note that Tharsis has a very high albedo and a very "shiny" surface. Check out the specular reflection near Alba Mons.

The horizon by the way doe not match because the first series of pictures shows the terminator, which merges with the limb right in that frame.

Attached Image

The globe was obtained from Google Earth in Mars mode and shows MOLA images. The context map with ground tracks was obtained from a special ESA mission planning tool referred to as MAPPs and also shows a MOLA elevation map. MAPPs is not available to the general public. It is a specialized mission planning tool for Mars Express.

Cheers,
Hannes.

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:55 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.