IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

28 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL - Astronomical Observations, Phobos/Deimos, planetary/celestial observations and more
fredk
post Aug 21 2013, 04:34 AM
Post #76

Group: Members
Member No.: 152

QUOTE (Deimos @ Aug 21 2013, 03:09 AM) *
MER never imaged the ground while imaging a transit.

Thanks for the info, Deimos. I see now that what I was thinking of was that we fantasized about this years ago with MER - see Doug's post and my reply. We talked about how cool it would've been to do this from the top of Husband Hill. Maybe we'll get another chance from Oppy or MSL showing the shadow racing across the landscape from a high vantage point...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Aug 21 2013, 06:27 AM
Post #77

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (fredk @ Aug 21 2013, 02:49 AM) *
Yeah, this image was simultaneous with the RLB sequence. Very cool indeed! Was this never done with MER?

No with MER, but yes with Viking Lander 1.
Here is the image taken ("rescan" mode) on its mission Sol 423 : the darkening of the Phobos shadow flying above its Chryse Planitia site can be seen easily also. Cheers ! smile.gif
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 21 2013, 10:40 AM
Post #78

Member No.: 6780

In the meanwhile, six of the Sol 363 MR eclipse images are there. Here a 10x time-lapsed gif:
Attached Image

(based on NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS)

Well, the Sol 368 eclipse will be much cooler, as Emily pointed out.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Aug 21 2013, 03:05 PM
Post #79

QUOTE (Gerald @ Aug 21 2013, 10:40 AM) *
Well, the Sol 368 eclipse will be much cooler

The sol 369 transit looks not bad too - in fact, it looks very close to central:
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...0784Q1_DXXX.jpg

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 21 2013, 04:36 PM
Post #80

Bullseye! smile.gif

+Quote Post
fredk
post Aug 21 2013, 10:25 PM
Post #81

Here's what I dreamed of doing 7 years ago - I've subtracted the average of the 8 post-transit RLB hazcam frames from each transit frame, then added 128 and did a small symmetrical stretch. So neutral grey means the same as after the transit, dark grey means darker, and light grey lighter than after transit:
Attached Image

As the transit ends, everything goes to neutral grey, with the last bit of shadow fading off into the east. The sky looks brighter during the transit (first two frames) than after, which can't be true of course. So what's probably happening is that different exposures, or more likely just different auto-stretching, are being applied. We'll have to wait for PDS (or a press release) to see how much the sky darkened during the transit...

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Aug 22 2013, 12:38 AM
Post #82

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Gerald @ Aug 21 2013, 09:36 AM) *
Bullseye! smile.gif

All we had to do was get the sun in the field of view at the right time, Phobos did the rest. smile.gif

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 22 2013, 02:03 AM
Post #83

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Point a camera with a 5-degree FOV at a moving speck crossing a moving spot from a rover that was only briefly paused in the middle of DRIVING ACROSS ANOTHER FREAKING PLANET??? Pshaw, that's nothing smile.gif

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Aug 22 2013, 02:28 AM
Post #84

Member No.: 6853

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Aug 22 2013, 10:03 AM) *
Point a camera with a 5-degree FOV at a moving speck crossing a moving spot from a rover that was only briefly paused in the middle of DRIVING ACROSS ANOTHER FREAKING PLANET??? Pshaw, that's nothing smile.gif

Hats off to the team smile.gif

+Quote Post
DeanM
post Aug 22 2013, 09:04 AM
Post #85

Member No.: 6530

Quoting Emily: "Point a camera with a 5-degree FOV at a moving speck crossing a moving spot from a rover that was only briefly paused.."

This can have been no easy feat!

Indeed, how is such precise 'pointing' achieved: gravity provides one vector but Mars (now) has no magnetic field to provide a second.

Dean

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 22 2013, 09:47 AM
Post #86

A gyro could do the job.

+Quote Post
Deimos
post Aug 22 2013, 02:16 PM
Post #87

Martian Photographer

Member No.: 183

QUOTE (DeanM @ Aug 22 2013, 09:04 AM) *
Indeed, how is such precise 'pointing' achieved: gravity provides one vector but Mars (now) has no magnetic field to provide a second.

Sun images show the Sun's position and (optionally) direction of motion in the rover's frame. These allow a full attitude solution or a yaw-only solution. Initial measurement units (gyro-based) update attitude between sun images. MER used a subset of Pancam Sun images. MSL uses Navcam Sun+sky images. The IMU propagates attitude forward, but error builds with drive-time. So the attitude, especially for Sun aims, is precise after a Sun update and before the next drive, and degrades until the next Sun update. The midnight planets page for sol C/369 shows such an update after the drive (and mid-drive imaging). Sol B/3387 shows an update for Opportunity. (In both cases, look for the Sun image/images after "driving...".)

+Quote Post
fredk
post Aug 22 2013, 02:50 PM
Post #88

QUOTE (Deimos @ Aug 22 2013, 02:16 PM) *
MSL uses Navcam Sun+sky images.

I didn't realize that - I had assumed MSL used mastcam. Why navcam? Surely it's harder to pinpoint the sun's position in a navcam frame, or in other words the uncertainty on the sun's position would be much larger in a navcam frame than a mastcam frame. That's both because of the lower resolution of navcam, but also because of the overexposure due to lack of solar filter. (I guess you could pinpoint the position from navcam pretty well in one direction, due to the CCD bleeding.)

QUOTE (EdTruthan @ Aug 22 2013, 04:21 AM) *
FredK: "Subtracted the average..." Brilliant idea... just freaking brilliant.
Thanks a lot Ed, but I have to say I was inspired by what we did several years ago with Spirit's dust devil images. I have no idea who started differencing the images to show DD's more easily.

+Quote Post
john_s
post Aug 22 2013, 03:26 PM
Post #89

Member No.: 117

QUOTE (fredk @ Aug 22 2013, 07:50 AM) *
Why navcam? Surely it's harder to pinpoint the sun's position in a navcam frame, or in other words the uncertainty on the sun's position would be much larger in a navcam frame than a mastcam frame.

I presume it's simply that Navcam has a much wider field of view, so you can find the sun even if the accumulated error in the rover's orientation is quite large.

John

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Aug 22 2013, 03:37 PM
Post #90

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (john_s @ Aug 22 2013, 08:26 AM) *
I presume it's simply that Navcam has a much wider field of view...

On MER they do sun-finding with Pancam, which has the same FOV as the 34mm Mastcam.

It was more a political/requirements-driven issue related to Mastcam being a non-JPL instrument. Mastcam could be used if needed but Navcam is completely sufficient.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post

28 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 03:27 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.