IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
How much onboard memory do the rovers have?
briv1016
post Oct 12 2008, 12:24 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3982

With the Bonestell Pan being kept on the rover and transmitted later to maximize power, I'm a little confused about how much flash memory the rover(s) have. The rover site says, "Onboard memory includes 128 megabytes of random access memory, augmented by 256 megabytes of flash memory and smaller amounts of other non-volatile memory, which allows the system to retain data even without power."

But, according to the tracking site Spirit already has 1100Mb filled and that number is only going to go up as the panorama is completed. How much memory is really onboard?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
siravan
post Oct 12 2008, 02:49 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1472

QUOTE (briv1016 @ Oct 11 2008, 08:24 PM) *
But, according to the tracking site Spirit already has 1100Mb filled and that number is only going to go up as the panorama is completed. How much memory is really onboard?

I don't think there is any discrepancy here, since 1100 Mb is just over 137 megabytes and resides within the 256 megabytes flash memory.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 12 2008, 04:26 AM
Post #3

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (briv1016 @ Oct 12 2008, 01:24 AM) *
1100Mb

1100 megaBITS

Which is 137 megaBYTES

+Quote Post
briv1016
post Oct 12 2008, 04:42 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 3982

My bad, I confused bits and bytes. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Oct 29 2008, 06:36 PM
Post #5

Guests

I remember that both MERs use the VxWorks Real-Time Operating System ( VxWorks RTOS) but I don't know how large each MER's memory is. I believe 256 MB non-volatile Flash memory + 128 MB volatile RAM ?

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Oct 29 2008, 06:59 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 497

What part of post #1 is confusing?

If you do a google search for RAD6000 and read the BAE product brochure, you'll see that these boards also have 3MB of EEPROM.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:36 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.