IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Help Looking for image data in PDS (or elsewhere)
stephenv2
post Mar 1 2012, 04:22 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1522

I'm sure all here know the famous composite pia06193 of Saturn. However, creating an animation with this has been impossible thus far.

I've been looking for some time without success for the data behind the rings, especially the blue clouds and ring shadows - and of course need R/G/B/ exposures for color. The best I've found is PIA06142 and the raw sources but Cassini is still too "low" here and I don't see much more in PDS unless I'm missing something.

Ideally, images from Cassini with the spacecraft "up higher" relative to the ring plane with the same sun/shadow config. I'm hoping this data exists otherwise I won't be able to do much with this at all.

Any help much appreciated.

--------------------
stephen van vuuren
filmmaker
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Mar 1 2012, 06:42 AM
Post #2

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Go to the imaging node, go to the atlas search
http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/search/search.html

Select "ISS" on the left and "SATURN" under the target. If I understand you correctly, you want the view to be above the ring plane so you need to select latitude from 0 to 90 under the Geometry tab. Not sure what you want for phase angle but you can limit that at the bottom of the QuickSearch tab. I tried a sample search on ISS, SATURN, latitude from 15 to 90, phase angle from 0 to 30 and got 279 images.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
stephenv2
post Mar 1 2012, 06:48 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Mar 1 2012, 01:42 AM) *
Go to the imaging node, go to the atlas search
http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/search/search.html

Select "ISS" on the left and "SATURN" under the target. If I understand you correctly, you want the view to be above the ring plane so you need to select latitude from 0 to 90 under the Geometry tab. Not sure what you want for phase angle but you can limit that at the bottom of the QuickSearch tab. I tried a sample search on ISS, SATURN, latitude from 15 to 90, phase angle from 0 to 30 and got 279 images.

Thanks! That makes perfect sense and I was not searching that way. I will look through those.

--------------------
stephen van vuuren
filmmaker

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Mar 1 2012, 09:10 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 523

I'm not sure what result the latitude method gives as I don't have time to experiment, but isn't that just the bounding box of the frame? That still doesn't preclude Cassini from being under the ring plane, looking "up". An additional restriction by "Sub Spacecraft Latitude" in the Geometry tab should ensure you get northern hemisphere shots AND ones where the rings don't get in the way.

--------------------

+Quote Post
stephenv2
post Mar 1 2012, 03:16 PM
Post #5

Hmmm, I was just noticing this. But I'm not sure I follow how values in the "Sub Space Latitude" work - is that the spacecraft's position relative or absolute to Saturn?

--------------------
stephen van vuuren
filmmaker

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Mar 1 2012, 04:52 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 523

Sub-spacecraft point (i.e. Lat/Long) is the point on Saturn directly underneath the spacecraft. If you want to be north of the ring plane, this will have values from 0-90. If the spacecraft is almost at the ring plane, that value should stick close to 0. etc.

--------------------

+Quote Post
stephenv2
post Mar 1 2012, 05:42 PM
Post #7

Thanks! That make perfect sense now.

--------------------
stephen van vuuren
filmmaker

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Mar 1 2012, 05:47 PM
Post #8

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Sorry, I did mean sub-spacecraft latitude. Thanks for clarifying, Gordan.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:58 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.