Reply to this topicStart new topic
Voyager mosaics and images of Jupiter, A fresh look at some ancient stuff
djellison
post Nov 28 2010, 06:01 PM
Post #106

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Bingo. The problem wasn't that the antenna moved, the problem was that it GOT moved.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
EDG
post Nov 28 2010, 06:47 PM
Post #107

Group: Members
Member No.: 5483

True, I forgot about that part.

Sorry, I'm still bitter about Galileo - so much data lost (well, not even acquired in the first place). It served well as a teaser for what was there, and while it did send back some good images that did clear up a few things, it also raised more questions without any possibility of getting answers from the current dataset because it was so limited. IMO we really need another probe up there at Jupiter doing what Cassini is doing around Saturn (which is what Galileo would have done had it worked properly). Maybe it's not a failure, but personally I don't call it a success either.

And ye gods, that image compression thing drove me nuts, at least in the early stages of the mission (pre-C10 ish) - it was so frustrating to see the most interesting parts of the image often obliterated by the blocks.

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Nov 29 2010, 02:01 AM
Post #108

Member No.: 5458

I wouldn't call it a success either. However, from mistakes, people are able to learn how to do better in the future.

NASA does what it can with the limited money available. Yet, they've still helped pave the way for a global internet, microwave communications, digital cameras, new materials and alloys and all sorts of other things.

So then, what impact did Galileo have on the world? Not a lot, really. But in the realm of science, we learned that Io is fantastically volcanically active, Europa is extremely likely to have a liquid ocean somewhere underneath the ice, a confirmation and extension on what was believed about Jupiter's atmosphere (which is really important when looking at Jupiter class exoplanets), a lot of information regarding Jupiter's magnetosphere and the interactions it has with the moons, and many other bits of information that will help pave the way for future probes and research within our solar system and beyond.

In light of that, I can't say that I'm not a little worried about JUNO and the massive solar array that it requires. Jupiter is a gravity well for all sorts of rocks, small and large. Increasing the overall size of the space probe also increases the chance for a collision and having it happen to one of the immense solar panels would be devastating. Here's to wishing that mission all the best.

I am truly excited to be living in a time where we as humans are able to explore so much and yet understand that it is still so little in the vastness of the cosmos.

--------------------

+Quote Post
EDG
post Nov 29 2010, 05:52 AM
Post #109

Member No.: 5483

QUOTE (ZLD @ Nov 28 2010, 06:01 PM) *
In light of that, I can't say that I'm not a little worried about JUNO and the massive solar array that it requires. Jupiter is a gravity well for all sorts of rocks, small and large. Increasing the overall size of the space probe also increases the chance for a collision and having it happen to one of the immense solar panels would be devastating. Here's to wishing that mission all the best.

I've obviously missed something here, but why on earth would a Jupiter orbiter require a solar panel? RTGs would make much more sense, surely?

EDIT: Never mind, I found its page on wikipedia. Huh... well, it looks cool with the panels extended. Apparently it's because they can use solar panels out there, and RTGs are in short supply.

Though I'm somewhat horrified to see that there's no mention of imaging the satellites of Jupiter in the list of its objectives! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Nov 29 2010, 06:10 AM
Post #110

Member No.: 114

EDG You might like to look at this thread.. http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=2548 Your worries about moon imaging are talked about and how this mission really is not designed to observe Jupiter's moons. Something that I was not happy to see to.

But we will get some amazing images and internal science of Jupiter. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Nov 29 2010, 07:15 AM
Post #111

Member No.: 5458

Unfortunately JUNO likely will not be photographing too much of the moons of Jupiter in its primary mission. However, I'm still hopeful that some imaging will be done for the 4 or 5 inner satellites. I'm also hopeful for something in an extended mission though I'm not sure how much propellant JUNO would have left by then and how possible it would be to change the orbit to better reach the satellites. However, the camera isn't meant to last all that long. We'll have to wait and see (the most fun thing to do in UMSF of course!).

Best description of JUNO I saw was in the thread Decepticon mentioned:

gndonald
"this is the sort of 'basic science' mission that needs to be carried out so that we can plan properly for the next major mission without any more incidents like dropping the atmosphere probe into the wrong region as happened with the Galileo's mission."

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Dec 1 2010, 04:41 AM
Post #112

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Juno will not likely survive long beyond its primary mission, because its orbit will rapidly evolve to take it deeply into Jupiter's radiation belts. It is expected to be fried not long after the primary mission ends.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Dec 1 2010, 07:01 PM
Post #113

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

Exactly three months ago I posted a big Voyager 1 mosaic of the Great Red Spot (GRS):

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=163698

Today I'm posting a slightly improved version. The first improvement is that I'm now using a significantly improved formula for creating synthetic green. This makes the color more realistic (it was too reddish) and also more similar to the color of the Voyager 2 mosaic I posted recently (actually I used the Voyager 2 mosaic to determine the new formula). Secondly, the new version is geometrically more accurate. When working on the earlier version, during one of the processing steps a software bug somehow caused me to mess up planetocentric latitude and planetographic latitude without noticing it until recently (I'm not sure why I didn't notice it earlier). The effect was to make the resulting mosaic very similiar to the view Voyager 1 would have had from a bit higher above the equatorial plane than it really was so it wasn't particularly serious.

The new mosaic, at the top an enhanced, sharpened version and then a version that should have approximately natural color and contrast:

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Dec 2 2010, 02:38 AM
Post #114

Member No.: 1241

Bjorn,
Your work is stunning and humbling --- Thank you for my new background screen, you made my cleanup my desktop so I may see it !

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
aventor.com
post Dec 28 2010, 09:07 PM
Post #115

Member No.: 4047

Bjorn, hope you don't mind.
I run your last enhanced & sharpened jupiter image through ImageJ's FFT filter to remove some noticeable artifacts (it is lossy though), I attach a crop of the original and the final result for comparison.

There's plenty of tutorials on how to use imageJ's FFT filter for patterned noise removal so I won't get into details.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Dec 28 2010, 11:27 PM
Post #116

Member No.: 1102

Did you accidentally load the same image twice? I have stacked the images and jump back and forth and see no difference.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Dec 28 2010, 11:54 PM
Post #117

Member No.: 523

There's a difference in that the second image doesn't have the nearly-horizontal linear noise that's present for some reason.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Dec 29 2010, 12:20 AM
Post #118

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Bit like picking a greenfly wing off a huge bunch of roses, I'd say; I think Bjorn's pics are as close to perfect as it's possible to get.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Dec 29 2010, 01:01 AM
Post #119

Member No.: 4270

QUOTE (Floyd @ Dec 28 2010, 05:27 PM) *
I have stacked the images and jump back and forth and see no difference.

I had to look *really* closely but the differences are there, and affect ~pixel-sized the image noise

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
machi
post Dec 31 2010, 06:52 PM
Post #120

Member No.: 4057

QUOTE (ugordan @ Dec 29 2010, 12:54 AM) *
nearly-horizontal linear noise that's present for some reason.

It's prominent kind of noise in Voyager's images. It can be suppressed by calibration, but not completely.

Aventor:
Nice result, horizontal lines are gone and fine details remains.

--------------------

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:51 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.