2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mars Penetrator Probes, Brilliant Balance Masses & Other Ideas
JRehling
post Jan 14 2021, 05:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 321

Ah, mole, we never had a chance to see the data you would have collected.

I hope we see a re-fly of a heat flow measurement experiment soon. I like the idea of multiple penetrators dropping from one entry vehicle, using momentum to enter the soil, and enough safety in numbers that one or more failures still lets us get one success.

This seems like something that could ride along with some future stationary lander, regardless of the lander's other functions.

https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc1996/pdf/1452.pdf
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HSchirmer
post Jan 19 2021, 02:03 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 7619

QUOTE (JRehling @ Jan 14 2021, 05:40 PM) *
...I like the idea of multiple penetrators dropping from one entry vehicle, using momentum to enter the soil, and enough safety in numbers that one or more failures still lets us get one success.
This seems like something that could ride along with some future stationary lander, regardless of the lander's other functions.
https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc1996/pdf/1452.pdf
The brains of existing Textron BLU-108 cluster bomb "skeet" submunitions detect 2 color infra-red signatures , scan with lidar then steer themselves to likely targets. Reprogram them to aim for the wavelengths of hydrated minerals, do their lidar scan and upload a high resolution DEM model to the rover.
One "skeet" weights 7.5 pounds and samples about 16 acres. The 4 pack dispenser weights 64 pounds and covers around 64 acres.
Another recent advance are electronics that survive being fired out of 155mm howitzer and allow computer controlled artillery shells so a "lawn dart" penetrator could be an option.
http://midkiff.cz/obj/firma_produkt_priloha_120_soubor.pdf

+Quote Post
Steve G
post Feb 4 2021, 02:16 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 624

Can someone explain to me how these balance masses work? Just before entry, they eject two of the cruise balance masses as 70 kgs each. That's a 140 kgs (308 lbs) of weight. To put that in perspective, Mariner 4 was 260 kgs. During EDL, they drop more of these. Curiosity did the same thing, but it just seems like a heck of a lot of weight to be tossing away that could be added to the landed weight. Is there no way around using these?

+Quote Post
vjkane
post Feb 4 2021, 02:52 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 351

QUOTE (Steve G @ Feb 4 2021, 06:16 AM) *
Can someone explain to me how these balance masses work? Just before entry, they eject two of the cruise balance masses as 70 kgs each. That's a 140 kgs (308 lbs) of weight. To put that in perspective, Mariner 4 was 260 kgs. During EDL, they drop more of these. Curiosity did the same thing, but it just seems like a heck of a lot of weight to be tossing away that could be added to the landed weight. Is there no way around using these?

During cruise, the capsule needs to be balanced so that it can spin for stability. During entry, the capsule needs to be unbalanced so that the capsule can use the unbalance to steer itself during entry. I'm sure that others here can give more detailed explanations.

There was a program to examine if there could be small science payloads that could be substituted for the dead weights that were used for Curiosity. Idea apparently didn't go anywhere. Not sure if it was for technical/risk reasons or lack of inspiring ideas for science payloads.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Feb 4 2021, 05:34 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (vjkane @ Feb 4 2021, 06:52 AM) *
There was a program to examine if there could be small science payloads that could be substituted for the dead weights that were used for Curiosity.

There are the cruise ballast masses (2*75 kg) dropped before entry and then 6*25 kg of ejectable mass that goes before chute deploy. It was the latter that were the subject of the contest: https://www.nasa.gov/content/nasa-announces...mass-challenge/

There was a proposal for a system that would pump ballast mass around but that ended up being heavier and more complicated than just dumping the mass. You need the mass offset during entry to fly the descent.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Feb 4 2021, 06:20 PM
Post #6

It is tantalizing to realize that we're sending dead ballast almost all the way to Mars, but I'm sure that part of the challenge of making those into something actively useful is that they get ejected at a pretty unfortunate time in the sequence. If someone could figure out a way to turn one into a penetrator with heat probe, their next dinner is on me. smile.gif

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Feb 4 2021, 07:17 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (JRehling @ Feb 4 2021, 10:20 AM) *
I'm sure that part of the challenge of making those into something actively useful is that they get ejected at a pretty unfortunate time in the sequence.

The cruise balance masses would have to go through entry, but the smaller ones get ejected at more reasonable speeds and altitudes.

Having said that, one would have to make something that has the same mass and form factor as the balance mass, requires no power or data interfaces of any kind during cruise, survives the landing, communicates on its own, and does something useful. Perhaps doable, but certainly very challenging.

The winning challenge entry looks like it was completely passive, but I don't know the details.

Paradoxically, one of the biggest problems is probably making them heavy enough.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Art Martin
post Feb 4 2021, 07:29 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 2455

QUOTE (JRehling @ Feb 4 2021, 11:20 AM) *
It is tantalizing to realize that we're sending dead ballast almost all the way to Mars, but I'm sure that part of the challenge of making those into something actively useful is that they get ejected at a pretty unfortunate time in the sequence. If someone could figure out a way to turn one into a penetrator with heat probe, their next dinner is on me. smile.gif

My guess is creating the penetrator with a heat probe inside it is not as much the issue as ensuring that there's a way to transmit whatever data it found though electronics and power circuits capable of surviving the trauma of the penetration. The thing would basically look like an arrow where the pointed head would naturally seek down (essentially a lawn dart). Have we done such a task on Earth before? I suppose if we could pinpoint the spot it hit, the rover could find it and get signals from it at close range so the power levels could be substantially reduced.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Feb 4 2021, 07:46 PM
Post #9

Mods: penetrator discussions have taken over several threads recently (off-topic; I'm as guilty as anyone) so perhaps a dedicated Mars penetrator thread could be created and this traffic moved.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 4 2021, 11:59 PM
Post #10

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

The impact sites of the various MSL balance masses were imaged by HiRISE after the landing. Big dark splats. Presumably the new ones will be as well. There might be a bit of science from that, extending the range of impact effects of objects of known mass and velocity.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Feb 5 2021, 02:52 AM
Post #11

Suddenly synergistic with the ballast thread, it's too bad that Insight wasn't located somewhere close to a subsequent landing site. Being heavy and thumping the ground is definitely a challenge that inert ballast can accomplish.

+Quote Post
Steve G
post Feb 5 2021, 01:05 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 624

Did Viking or MERs use mass balancing?

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 5 2021, 03:08 PM
Post #13

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Neither used guided entry and thus didn’t need the offset CoG. Ditto MPF, MPL, PHX and InSight.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Feb 5 2021, 03:57 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (djellison @ Feb 5 2021, 07:08 AM) *
Neither used guided entry and thus didn’t need the offset CoG. Ditto MPF, MPL, PHX and InSight.

Actually, while Viking was unguided, it was lifting (constant lift up), not ballistic. I'm not sure how/if they managed balance for parachute deploy. Viking entered from orbit, not directly, and in the cruise phase was 3-axis stabilized, not spin-stabilized, so the less-critical cruise balance could have been managed with fixed offsets on the orbiter.

It's worth noting that avoiding the use of balance masses doesn't directly translate to more landed mass. The more landed mass, the more fuel, heavier structure, etc -- there are many ripple effects.

Similarly, penetrators IMHO are one of those things that sounds easy enough to do but turns out being harder than expected.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hendric
post Feb 5 2021, 06:05 PM
Post #15

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

MPL had the two failed DS-2 probes, but to be fair they were pretty small, only 2.4 kg apiece, and lacked the budget to do extensive validation before launch.

It does seem like a great missed chance for NASA to setup some contests by setting form-factor, interface, and mass/density constraints (one in which you must 'use up' all your mass would be very weird!) and letting university or private teams compete. The final winning designs would have to be reimplemented by NASA in order to meet planetary protection requirements, etc but would benefit from the innovation such a contest could provide.

Obviously there would need to be minimum density requirements, but giving teams a goal of 50 - 75% of the density of tungsten would still leave quite a bit of room for electronics.

I don't think the impact per se would be difficult to survive, the military has bunker-busting and runway-destroying munitions designed to penetrate feet of concrete.

But having to do so with a reliable battery that can also survive 18 months (since it would need integration well before launch) and a trip in deep space in a presumably non-heated portion of the craft, that will be tough. Haha, what about a clockwork spring that powers up the system as it is ejected from the cruise stage, or requires the impact to break the holding pin? That would be amazing! No need to worry about electrolytes freezing or plates cracking from G-forces. The void space could be filled with dense oil to keep the density high. Other teams could explore things like fuel cells or liquid electrolyte based systems.

If I had infinite time, monkeys, and access to a large tower, I would try some testing with a RaspPi and see how much it could survive with various configurations, such as being held in air, surrounded by mineral oil, expanding foam, epoxy, etc. That alone would be a fun project!

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:54 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.