IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

UMSF@10, We've come a long, long way together...
Astro0
post Feb 8 2014, 10:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

Our first banner. One of UMSF's early banners.

On the 8th of February 2004, a much younger Doug Ellison set up and made the very first posts on a new forum called Unmanned Spaceflight.com.

Here are those very first posts: Welcome | First Image

Ten years and many, many more images and posts later, hundreds of members and guests regularly visit and contribute to these pages to share their enthusiasm for space exploration.

Thanks Doug for getting us all started on this journey. smile.gif

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Nix
post Feb 11 2014, 11:44 AM
Post #2

Chief Assistant

Group: Admin
Member No.: 136

Whenever I look back at the beginning of the MER mission and the first years @ UMSF, I smile.

It was the first time in my life I really felt part of something.

That something was like a dream come true. I did not have the luck to be raised in a family where
education was stressed to be of vital importance, and by the time I realised this for myself, it had
become hard to catch up on anything, especially maths.

This frustrated me to hell. I was forced to start working at the age of 13 and in my spare time I read
Ciel et Espace, Astronomy and Sky & Telescope. I tried to catch up on math, at my own pace.

It was as if was two persons in one, a moaning & frustrated working class young man, and a kid that
kept 'dreaming' about graduating in astronomy.

In the years I worked I managed to educate myself a bit for the problems that
had arised at school I could not seem to make up for.
I bought myself a big telescope, learned photography, and combined the two for some basic astrophotography.

At the age of twenty, I bought myself a big fat computer my mother had kept promising me for over 5
years, and a high-class internet account. I learned everything I needed to learn about computers to work
with image data in general.

Then came Pathfinder and very soon I found myself downloading, archiving and processing colors and mosaics.
I remember the extreme joy of local contrast enhancement to isolate giant dust-devils in some of Pathfinder's
horizon-images...

I could not share the images though since I lacked knowledge on html so I started learning about that.
But then I started working more, as it was needed, and then came children...
I began to accept I had become a 'viewer' and I could still enjoy astronomy and Mars in general and just be
happy being a hobby photographer and 'armchair'-amateur-astronomer.

But then, finally, one night, I watched Spirit's descent being broadcasted. As I write this I still shiver just
as back then... as I enjoy watching the people behind any mission today when a milestone is reached.
I started making time to download and processing 'pretty pictures' again, and I stumbled upon the 'MER'
forum.

Doug introduced me to PTgui, and then the fun began! I started sharing mosaics and panoramas and
this time I was not alone, there were others and I wasn't any longer the 'lone' geek playing around with
Photoshop. I explored other software, started reading technical articles, and cooperated with other
'Spaced out maniacs'. I got to meet Steven Squyres himself and Emily Lakdawalla thanks to Doug,
and got splendid source material for my panoramas thanks to 'slinted', who wrote software to create true
color calibrated data, and who sparked my interest for coding and automating some tasks.

After some years, my kids started needing more and more attention, and to keep this part as short as
possible, since 'nature' or 'god' or whatever you call it was the only reason for this; my wife got cancer.
I found myself frustrated again not having time to pursue my involvement on the forum, and tried to
stay optimistic. I missed out on a lot of things in the last months of her life, including the big change in
Doug's life, and many more exciting events and stories here on UMSF and elsewhere.
In my darkest hour, a few years back, I even wrote Doug to 'take me off the list', as I felt awkward
not having time nor the right set of mind to be of any value here.... but he would not accept. I'm forever
very thankful for that!
Last year I started to feel better again, my 'purple pills' started working ( laugh.gif ) and, all joking aside now,
I'm slowly succeeding to get back at 'living' again... I started promoting my photography work and I hope
for this 10th anniversary, to dig up some stuff from Spirit and Opportunity too, in these coming months.

I'm not telling this because I feel pitty for myself though, instead, I've learned to be proud of myself for
the things I've managed to achieve despite my childhood and happenstance, and to encourage others,
that whatever happens, you can learn from it and often, even use it to your advantage, if one accepts
'time', and effort.

My biggest achievement I cherish, is to witness the wisdom and knowledge I seem to pass on to my kids.
They have dreams just like I had; one of my daughters says she wants to visit the ISS one day. I will help
her with that, or for any dream they will have in the future, just by keep repeating that life is all about
learning, and practising what we've learned in a wise manner, with the future in mind, yet making sure to
enjoy each split-second of life today. Cause split-seconds are all we can call present, all the rest is past, or
unknown. I hope they have more luck than me, but it's still up to them of course...
This guy sums it up, really, in a letter to his daughters; http://blogs.esa.int/luca-parmitano/

Thanks to all of you, for your understanding, your involvement and dedication, to one of the coolest
hangouts on the net!

And thank you, the MER team and Spirit & Opportunity, to be there, and share.

Nico

--------------------
photographer, space imagery enthusiast, proud father and partner, and geek.

http://500px.com/sacred-photons &
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Astro0   UMSF@10   Feb 8 2014, 10:52 PM
- - Astro0   The byline in our Unmanned Spaceflight.com banner ...   Feb 8 2014, 10:59 PM
- - Astro0   Two more wallpapers for good measure By the w...   Feb 8 2014, 11:43 PM
- - djellison   Who would have thought that the scrappy forum I th...   Feb 9 2014, 01:36 AM
- - climber   This forum is very special to me. It started on th...   Feb 9 2014, 02:30 AM
- - MizarKey   I came here after doing a search on the rovers. I...   Feb 9 2014, 02:44 AM
- - elakdawalla   Gilles, you're in good company, it's my bi...   Feb 9 2014, 04:32 AM
|- - dilo   Happy birthday to Gilles, Emily and, obviously, UM...   Feb 9 2014, 07:05 AM
|- - climber   QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Feb 9 2014, 05:32 AM...   Feb 9 2014, 09:44 PM
- - Explorer1   I first got here from a link on Phil Plait's o...   Feb 9 2014, 08:09 AM
- - remcook   I was a bored space enthusiast/student with too mu...   Feb 9 2014, 09:25 AM
|- - ustrax   Heck, it's being at home! Thank you, Doug,...   Feb 9 2014, 10:11 AM
- - Fran Ontanaya   I joined when I saw on the news Oppy had been rovi...   Feb 9 2014, 12:55 PM
- - nprev   I was searching for information about unmanned spa...   Feb 9 2014, 03:39 PM
|- - eoincampbell   Many Happy Returns & Thanks to everyone at UMS...   Feb 9 2014, 05:46 PM
- - stevesliva   I was an occasional visitor to the yellow forum-- ...   Feb 9 2014, 06:36 PM
|- - ustrax   "special cookie"...just noticed that I k...   Feb 9 2014, 10:00 PM
- - tdemko   Wrote this on UMSF's 5th birthday: UMSF@...   Feb 9 2014, 07:34 PM
- - nprev   It's well-earned. Me, I'm going for ...   Feb 9 2014, 10:36 PM
- - Juramike   For me personally (and a lot of people around me, ...   Feb 9 2014, 11:15 PM
- - nprev   <bleeping bleep!!!> Yes. You a...   Feb 10 2014, 01:07 AM
- - jamescanvin   The earliest snapshot in the internet archive is f...   Feb 10 2014, 10:00 AM
|- - dvandorn   QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Feb 10 2014, 04:00 A...   Feb 10 2014, 01:51 PM
|- - Bjorn Jonsson   QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Feb 10 2014, 10:00 A...   Feb 10 2014, 10:47 PM
- - jamescanvin   QUOTE (Astro0 @ Feb 8 2014, 10:52 PM) ...   Feb 10 2014, 10:38 AM
|- - Astro0   QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Feb 10 2014, 09:38 P...   Feb 10 2014, 09:53 PM
- - neo56   I was 20, a young space enthusiast who had just en...   Feb 10 2014, 01:28 PM
- - craigmcg   When did the MER Forums start up? I still think o...   Feb 10 2014, 02:58 PM
- - djellison   10 years ago. That's what we're celebrati...   Feb 10 2014, 03:40 PM
- - ElkGroveDan   It would be nice if Alex were to resurface and say...   Feb 10 2014, 04:54 PM
- - RoverDriver   Well, I joined the band quite late as you can see....   Feb 10 2014, 05:45 PM
- - MahFL   Bombastic indeed !   Feb 10 2014, 05:55 PM
- - djellison   For those wondering where the UMSF logo came from ...   Feb 10 2014, 10:03 PM
- - nprev   If I'm not mistaken, UMSF has also been the co...   Feb 10 2014, 10:52 PM
- - Nix   Whenever I look back at the beginning of the MER m...   Feb 11 2014, 11:44 AM
- - RoverDriver   Thank you for sharing. I wonder how many other si...   Feb 11 2014, 04:26 PM
- - Ant103   Looks like I missed all the fun while I was doing ...   Feb 12 2014, 11:17 AM
- - machi   As I see, in comparison with other members, I...   Feb 12 2014, 02:12 PM
- - brellis   Very hearty thank you to Doug, Emily, Stu et al fo...   Feb 12 2014, 04:15 PM
- - Nix   @Paolo; I guess there's quite some stories tie...   Feb 12 2014, 06:55 PM
|- - dilo   After nearly (10 years / 2.5 kposts) of activity, ...   Jul 30 2014, 04:46 AM
|- - PaulH51   I for one will miss your contributions to this For...   Jul 30 2014, 08:19 AM
- - algorithm   Dilo, your contributions will be greatly missed. T...   Jul 30 2014, 07:48 PM
- - RoverDriver   This is sad, when the actions of a few force old t...   Jul 30 2014, 10:19 PM
- - jasedm   Agreed! Stalwart, linchpin, statistician extra...   Jul 30 2014, 10:40 PM
- - brellis   dilo - your stat posts have relieved my unceasing ...   Jul 31 2014, 12:57 AM
|- - tedstryk   You and your contributions to this forum will cert...   Jul 31 2014, 01:28 AM
- - Explorer1   All good things come to an end (and who will repla...   Jul 31 2014, 01:51 AM
- - Phil Stooke   Sorry to lose your very useful contributions. P...   Jul 31 2014, 02:21 AM
- - James Sorenson   Dilo, I will surly miss your excellent contributio...   Jul 31 2014, 03:48 AM
- - tfisher   Dilo : a quick de-lurk to say thanks for your cont...   Aug 1 2014, 04:51 AM
- - climber   Ciao Marco, see you around   Aug 1 2014, 04:55 AM
- - climber   I realize I've been here for exactely 10 years...   Aug 4 2016, 03:19 PM
- - Michael Capobianco   From the first message in this topic: "On t...   Feb 8 2024, 10:41 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:19 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.