DDAVIS
post May 4 2006, 06:07 PM
Post #47

Group: Members
Member No.: 10

QUOTE (remcook @ May 4 2006, 04:23 PM) *
great job! this is so cool smile.gif

yay to more public releases

Where can I find NASAVIEW for Mac OSX? it's not in the usual JPL location.

Don
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 4 2006, 06:19 PM
Post #48

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Here - http://pds.jpl.nasa.gov/tools/software_download.cfm - I think.

Doug

+Quote Post
jaywee
post May 5 2006, 07:52 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 363

Doug,
I just can't stress enough how magnificent the DD animations you made are. I wonder if ESA knows what they have smile.gif (Have you shown them to Jim Bell?)

Anyway, as I said before - the archive is now available at http://pds-geosciences.wustl.edu/geodata/m...approjected-v1/ it's biggest advantage is easy accessibility of the thumbnail jpg images.

Oddly, eventhough the ESA page says it covers 1-1863, it ends at 1295. Have you found data from newer orbits in the PSA interface?

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 5 2006, 08:35 PM
Post #50

Founder

Yup - via the psa you can get to 1800andsomething

The browse JPG's are utterly perfect - they're exactly what was needed, and being able to just grab an orbits data instead of using the lengthy convoluted pain-in-the-backside PSA system is a big big BIG bonus - if you can catch up to 1863, it would be great.

Doug

+Quote Post
slinted
post Jul 20 2006, 08:41 PM
Post #51

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21

I got a reply from the HRSC data processing manager, Dr. Thomas Roatsch, about some of the map-projected PDS/PSA tag issues, which seemed appropriate to share here.

As to the duplicate RADIANCE_OFFSET and RADIANCE_SCALING_FACTOR tags, the second ones are correct to the map projected images. For anyone particularly interested in the reflectance data, there is a necessary tag which is missing (REFLECTANCE_OFFSET). Dr. Roatsch has suggested to the PDS/PSA that they deliver a new version soon to fix both of these problems.

When considering the radiance information recoverable by applying the offset and scaling factors, a third tag becomes important as well. The radiance values are in units of Watts/m^2/sr, and is not spectral radiance (Watts/m^2/sr/nm). This means that the calibrated radiance values in the images are a summation across the whole bandwidth of the filter+ccd. This is important because bandwidths of the HRSC color filters differ significantly. The red filter is 48 nm wide, green is 88 nm wide, and blue is 76 nm wide. In other words, if one didn't take this into consideration, the green filter would appear almost twice as 'bright' as the red filter, since its radiance is considered across a spectrum twice as wide.

So, to recover spectral radiance from the HRSC map-projected images, one must apply the offset and scaling factors, then divide that value by the bandwidth of the filter.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 20 2006, 08:56 PM
Post #52

Founder

Nice and simple then wink.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
Malmer
post Jul 22 2006, 08:15 AM
Post #53

Member No.: 468

Dont forget to throw salt thrice over your left shoulder on a full moon night...

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 25 2006, 01:52 PM
Post #54

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Here's a recent Phobos image from Mars Express.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Jul 25 2006, 04:13 PM
Post #55

Guests

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 25 2006, 03:52 AM) *
Here's a recent Phobos image from Mars Express.

I'm still looking for a good, perhaps even iconic, Phobos image for my avatar. The search continues... biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 25 2006, 04:31 PM
Post #56

Founder

smile.gif My fav Phobos image...but I guess you're looking for something a bit better than that wink.gif

D

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Jul 27 2006, 02:46 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 530

Gotta have Stickney.

http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/profil...ject=Mar_Phobos

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 27 2006, 02:19 PM
Post #58

Here's the most recent Deimos image in the PSA. It's a composite of two SR frames.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 27 2006, 02:33 PM
Post #59

Founder

Here's one for you Phil,

Deimos has, to me at least, looked to be a much smoother almost 'softer' looking body than Phobos. Is that a symptom of the common images we see being of lower resolution, or an actual property difference between the two.

Doug

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 27 2006, 03:20 PM
Post #60

It's not a resolution effect. The best Viking images of Deimos have higher resolution that the best Viking images of Phobos. Deimos is smoother because it's almost completely covered by a thick debris layer. Peter Thomas (Cornell) has argued, and I agree, that the debris is ejecta from a crater with a diameter almost as large as Deimos's longest dimension, which is visible to us as the south polar "saddle" of Deimos. Most debris from a crater like that is ejected at very low velocity (forming the heaped-up rim of a lunar crater, plus lots of that never gets outside the crater at all) and coated Deimos at once. The rest was probably re-accreted from Mars orbit. Phobos lacks a "giant" crater of the same relative scale.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:13 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.