Reply to this topicStart new topic
Moon Images By SMART-1
Bob Shaw
post Apr 6 2006, 09:56 PM
Post #71

Group: Members
Member No.: 239

Rodolfo:

I don't think there's any evidence for current deflection of debris or interference with radiation etc - what we see is a snapshot in time.

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Apr 9 2006, 04:42 AM
Post #72

Member No.: 385

QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Apr 6 2006, 04:56 PM) *
I don't think there's any evidence for current deflection of debris or interference with radiation etc - what we see is a snapshot in time.

I have enclosed an article from: http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/re...irl.html?742006

So, it was suggested that the Reiner Gamma swirls correspond to magnetised materials in the crust or iron-rich ejecta materials able to deflect the solar wind (constant flow of charged particles coming from the Sun). This would prevent surface materials to undergo maturation processes, and so produce an optical anomaly.

So, the Reiner Gamma Formation could be an interesting site for future human exploration because of the radiation deflected from the surface. Further testing of this hypothesis requires access to the physical properties of the surface to constrain the mechanisms of formation of the lunar swirls. This is an ongoing task for the AMIE camera, aimed at studying regolith photometric properties.

However, this case is still an hypothesis, it might be of others factors such as :

Then, the magnetic anomaly would not be the result of an antipodal crustal field generated in the formation process of large impact basins. It would rather arise from local effects during the interaction between the lunar surface and cometary physical environment, with the possibility that the solar wind is locally deflected and contributes to the unusual optical properties.

Phil, do you think that these sites are worth to be explored by any surface robot? What kind of scientific instrument is needed to confirm that hypothesis? An magnetometer?

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 9 2006, 04:52 AM
Post #73

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Magnetic mapping from orbit is never at very high resolution. It would be scientifically useful to run surface traverses across Reiner Gamma with a magnetometer - on a robotic or crewed rover.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
MizarKey
post Apr 27 2006, 07:01 AM
Post #74

Member No.: 45

Latest image posted...http://esamultimedia.esa.int/images/smart_...um_comp_new.jpg

That brings the total images from SMART-1 of the moon on the official site to 16. Woo hoo.

Is there a better site with more SMART-1 images than the official site? I googled for about 1/2 hour but didn't find another site with more images.

Any ideas on the total number of images taken by SMART-1?

--------------------
Eric P / MizarKey

+Quote Post
dilo
post Apr 27 2006, 08:44 AM
Post #75

Member No.: 150

Not to mention the poor images quality...

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Apr 27 2006, 08:02 PM
Post #76

QUOTE (MizarKey @ Apr 27 2006, 08:01 AM) *
Any ideas on the total number of images taken by SMART-1?

I have the impression it's many tens of thousands.

Pathetic, eh?

Bob Shaw

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rakhir
post May 3 2006, 08:58 PM
Post #77

Member No.: 495

New image.

SMART-1’s view of Crater Hopmann: on the shoulder of a giant

http://www.esa.int/esaSC/SEM1PPOFGLE_index_0.html

+Quote Post
Steffen
post May 15 2006, 12:26 PM
Post #78

Member No.: 616

Great mission which doesn't get much attantion in my opinion!
http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/SMART-1/SEM1PPOFGLE_0.html

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post May 15 2006, 01:31 PM
Post #79

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Steffen @ May 15 2006, 12:26 PM) *
Great mission which doesn't get much attantion in my opinion!
http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/SMART-1/SEM1PPOFGLE_0.html

It is due to the lack of press releases compared to other missions. It may be doing great science, but we have no way to knowwhat it is finding. I predict that when global multispectral mosaics are compiled and released, there will be much more discussion.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post May 15 2006, 01:39 PM
Post #80

QUOTE (tedstryk @ May 15 2006, 02:31 PM) *
It is due to the lack of press releases compared to other missions. It may be doing great science, but we have no way to knowwhat it is finding. I predict that when global multispectral mosaics are compiled and released, there will be much more discussion.

Yes, but they'll release them in 2038 at this rate!

Bob Shaw

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post May 15 2006, 01:41 PM
Post #81

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ May 15 2006, 02:39 PM) *
Yes, but they'll release them in 2038 at this rate!

Look on the bright side: by that time, they'll be able to do wonders in data processing of the acquired imagery! tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Jun 1 2006, 07:20 PM
Post #82

Member No.: 430

These two images, taken by the advanced Moon Imaging Experiment (AMIE) on board
ESA’s SMART-1 spacecraft, show the difference between lunar highlands and a mare
area from close by.

Full story:

http://www.esa.int/esaSC/SEMGBM9ATME_index_0.html

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Jun 2 2006, 03:00 AM
Post #83

Member No.: 321

QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Mar 9 2006, 01:22 PM) *
Oh! All Praise Blessed ESA!

We, your humble taxpayers, thank you for the signal boon of yet another four glorious images, miraculously transformed into a never-before-imagined mosaic of stunning and unmatched quality!

We are not worthy!

We are not worthy!

Bob Shaw

You forgot to add that the subject of this rare imagery is the faraway and hitherto unknown orb called Moon.

+Quote Post
AndyG
post Jun 2 2006, 08:32 AM
Post #84

Member No.: 279

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Jun 1 2006, 08:20 PM) *
These two images, taken by the advanced Moon Imaging Experiment (AMIE) on board
ESA’s SMART-1 spacecraft, show the difference between lunar highlands and a mare
area from close by.

That's an official release? That the Moon actually has (get this!!) dark and light areas?

Perhaps, in a week or so, when the Moon is a bit fuller, we could all go outside one night and confirm this remarkable ESA fact?

Hopefully SMART-1 will be followed by EXTREMELYINTELLIGENTINDEED-2.

Andy G

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jun 2 2006, 09:10 AM
Post #85

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (AndyG @ Jun 2 2006, 09:32 AM) *
That's an official release? That the Moon actually has (get this!!) dark and light areas?

Perhaps, in a week or so, when the Moon is a bit fuller, we could all go outside one night and confirm this remarkable ESA fact?

I fail to see where in the press release it is they claim credit for "discovering" the dark and light areas so what's all the fuss about?

Seems to me that it's fashionable now to bash SMART-1 press release frequency so everybody feels to need to jump on this wagon.
I have a better candidate -- why don't we attack, for example, the VIMS instrument' s team aboard Cassini instead? I don't see all too many releases from an instrument that supposedly has better visibility through Titan's haze than ISS, but that doesn't seem to bother anyone. Not fashionable enough, I guess...

--------------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:22 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.