4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Italian magazine claims Phoenix contaminated Mars with terrestrial bacteria
Juramike
post Sep 12 2008, 04:52 PM
Post #46

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

"those bacteria (if any) will freeze [maybe to death] once Heimdall crater will be covered in ice and Phoenix Lander entombed like a farao in a few feet of carbon dioxide." wink.gif

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Sep 22 2008, 04:37 PM
Post #47

Group: Members
Member No.: 4338

The bacteria spores may survive a few million years until the next high obliquity period. At that point, conditions should become more favorable, and the bacteria may start to reproduce rapidly. So Mars may have been contaminated, but in slow motion for now...

+Quote Post
post Sep 22 2008, 06:09 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 667

QUOTE (marsophile @ Sep 22 2008, 09:37 AM) *
The bacteria spores may survive a few million years until the next high obliquity period. At that point, conditions should become more favorable, and the bacteria may start to reproduce rapidly.

... at which time, those revived bacteria might find their way to one of the thousands of human garbage dumps on Mars where they can meet up with long-lost relatives in the cozy confines of, say, a disposable diaper or half-eaten meal from a nearby fast-food place.

+Quote Post
Shaka
post Sep 22 2008, 09:17 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 618

cool.gif Get a load of the Kim Stanley Robinson-from-Hell! A regular "cock-eyed, rose-glasses optimist" ain't you!
A few million years of human evolution and we'll still have pooey Pampers and Big Macs!
I may throw up.

--------------------
My Grandpa goes to Mars every day and all I get are these lousy T-shirts!

+Quote Post
Guest_jumpjack_*
post Oct 2 2008, 07:26 AM
Post #50

Guests

QUOTE (gallen_53 @ Sep 3 2008, 07:31 PM) *
Your little critter must endure the following obstacles on the Martian surface :

1) low temperature
2) no liquid water because the atmospheric pressure is too low
3) strong oxidants like perchlorates
4) ionizing radiation, e.g. secondary cosmic rays and short wavelength ultraviolet

You can probably find some weird extremophile that could survive each of the above obstacles
but is there anything recognized as "life" that can survive all four?

I suspect not.

If life exists on Mars it would have to be deep under the surface (deep dark life metabolizing hydrogen).
I might add that a similiar argument could be invoked for life on Venus, i.e. it's deep under the surface.
However I doubt that we'll have the technology to detect Venusian life anytime soon.

I wonder if such a kind of life form could actually exist among the thin dust layer and the ice plate below: maybe the 10cm thick dust/sand layer could protect mircobes from ionizing radiation, and missing contact with air could prevent ice from sublimating upon temperature raising?
Maybe this can't happen near poles, but maybe at the equator a very thin melt ice layer could exist among dust layer and ice layer?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:15 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.