12 Pages V  « < 10 11 12  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mro On Approach, TCM-3 not required
mhall
post Mar 10 2006, 07:27 PM
Post #166

Group: Members
Member No.: 28

I presume that MRO's velocity is increasing as it approaches Mars, the doppler graph showing departure from the ideal Newtonian orbit.

The frequency of the sawtooth envelope seems to be increasing; perhaps it's related to velocity. Or something.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
yaohua2000
post Mar 10 2006, 08:04 PM
Post #167

Member No.: 526

Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter was only 20000 kilometers away from Mars at 2006-03-10 20:03:03 UTC.

velocity = 3.499 km/s
range-rate = -3.340 km/s

+Quote Post
yaohua2000
post Mar 10 2006, 09:17 PM
Post #168

Member No.: 526

Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter was only 5000 kilometers away from Mars at 2006-03-10 21:16:56 UTC.

velocity = 4.872 km/s
range-rate = -2.694 km/s

+Quote Post
imipak
post Mar 10 2006, 09:47 PM
Post #169

Member No.: 617

*tumbleweed* bounces past as MRO reaches LoS & passes behind Mars with engines firing... my fingernails can't take this!

--------------------
--
Viva software libre!

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Mar 10 2006, 09:48 PM
Post #170

Member No.: 430

MRO took a distant image of Deimos!

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA02699

Original Caption Released with Image:

This image showing the position of the Martian moon Deimos against a background of stars is part of a successful technology demonstration completed by NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter before arrival at Mars.

The spacecraft's Optical Navigation Camera was used in February and March 2006 to demonstrate the use of pictures from a small camera for calculating precise location of a Mars-bound spacecraft by comparing the observed positions of Mars' two moons to their predicted positions relative to background stars. While this technique was not necessary for the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter's own navigation, the demonstration prepares the way for relying on it for navigating precise arrivals for future missions that land on Mars.

This example image from the Optical Navigation Camera was taken on March 6, 2006, at a distance of 1.08 million kilometers (671,000 miles) from Deimos. That moon, the smaller of Mars' two, has a diameter of 15 kilometers (9 miles), and orbits 23,459 kilometers (14,577 miles) above the planet's surface.

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
jaredGalen
post Mar 11 2006, 08:34 AM
Post #171

Member No.: 123

I was reading the online profile on the nasa site of Tracy Drain who appeared on the Live coverage yesterday a bit.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/MRO/news...f-20060307.html

I came across this line and was quite surprised. tongue.gif

"During the crucial hours of entering Mars orbit, Drain and the mission team will only be able to monitor events as they occur billions of miles away"

The content was up only in the past few days so I guess it was a bit rushed. Still amusing though.

--------------------
Turn the middle side topwise....TOPWISE!!

+Quote Post
jabe
post Apr 20 2008, 09:50 PM
Post #172

Member No.: 201

QUOTE (jmknapp @ Feb 15 2006, 01:19 PM) *
True--MRO's speed relative to Mars won't start to increase until Feb. 25, & even then only very slightly until the day of MOI (per the SPICE kernel data).

Here's a chart of the speed for the month of March:

hate reviewing a long dead thread..but... smile.gif
I'm looking for the graphic that was posted in the post. Anyone have something similar? I'd like to use it as part of a lesson on space flight in my class when discussing the "sphere of influence".any help would be appreciated smile.gif
cheers
jb

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 10 11 12
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:15 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.