http://www.space.com/news/070627_mars_storm.html
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
J.J.
post Jun 28 2007, 02:11 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 722

Well, Mars is near perihelion, prime time for big dust storms. Still, I think the odds are long against this finishing off the MERs or becoming a global phenomenon. If it does blow up, though, I once again lament the lack of a dedicated met station on either rover...oh well.

--------------------
Mayor: Er, Master Betty, what is the Evil Council's plan?

Master Betty: Nyah. Haha. It is EVIL, it is so EVIL. It is a bad, bad plan, which will hurt many... people... who are good. I think it's great that it's so bad.

-Kung Pow: Enter the Fist

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 28 2007, 02:28 PM
Post #3

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (J.J. @ Jun 28 2007, 03:11 PM) *
I once again lament the lack of a dedicated met station on either rover...oh well.

What would you have been be prepared to drop, instrument wise, to make room in terms of mass, volume, money and data.

Geologists don't carry anenometers smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
J.J.
post Jun 29 2007, 03:21 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 722

^
I realize the MERs were designed for geological study...but my interests on Mars are evenly split between met and geology. The Martian atmosphere is just amazing in its similarities and differences from Earth...

In any event, I'll get my chance with Phoenix and MSL. smile.gif

--------------------
Mayor: Er, Master Betty, what is the Evil Council's plan?

Master Betty: Nyah. Haha. It is EVIL, it is so EVIL. It is a bad, bad plan, which will hurt many... people... who are good. I think it's great that it's so bad.

-Kung Pow: Enter the Fist

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jun 29 2007, 03:50 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 15

My interest in Mars ranges through the entire gamut -- origin, early climate, geological processes, atmospheric evolution -- the whole nine yards. Heck, my interest in all of the bodies of the Solar System ranges through the same gamut (as appropriate -- I don't think atmospheric evolution and early climate issues are very applicable to, say, Mercury).

All of these processes are contributing factors to a very large system. Becuase of its complexity, this system *must* incorporate a large number of chaotic factors, but as in any complex system, order seems to rise from chaos and develop mechanisms which maintain and enhance order. It is this basic creative force (for want of a better term), working against entropy, that fascinates me the most. All of the disciplines we have discussed serve to investigate different aspects of this basic force -- the force that counter-balances entropy and serves to create order from chaos.

In a way, my interest in and exploration of the natural sciences is simply my way of exploring the face of the creative force of the Universe... smile.gif It comes as close to spirituality for me as anything else, and holds a similar place in my life as religion holds for many people. Which is why I take all of this so seriously... biggrin.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
DDAVIS
post Jul 3 2007, 12:51 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 10

I was colorizing one of the Victoria pans by Tesheiner, and I decided to add a contribution from one of my trips to the Black Rock Desert as a dust storm was arriving. It looked like a vast avalanche bearing down upon us, towering over the mountain ridges across 90 degrees of the horizon. If we knew the storm 'front' of a great dust storm was approachng a suitably positioned MER-B a panorama such as this might be obtained...

Attached Image

+Quote Post
lyford
post Jul 3 2007, 02:04 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 124

Wow -that's a beautifully ominous picture, Don. As dramatic an image as that would be, I think I will hope for clear skies and less dust on the panels....

Does your image have a title? May I respectfully suggest:

"How Now, Brown Tau?"

Mods: You have permission to shoot me at any time. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
mchan
post Jul 3 2007, 02:05 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 476

A couple of days at Burning Man were like that. Which I thought added positively to the whole experience.

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Jul 3 2007, 04:28 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 116

Well, if no one else is willing, I'll shoot lyford. Actually, that was pretty funny. Maybe we should keep him around. cool.gif

DDAVIS: That brought me to Mars, tonight. Thanks.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jul 3 2007, 06:32 AM
Post #10

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Oh come on, you can't just post images like that Don without some kind of warning! I was up at 7am today ( which isn't early for me; 5.30am usually but I had a bored cat doing Riverdance on my head all night keeping me awake...) and stumbled to the computer, logged on and automatically clicked on your image for a look, letting it download while I fumbled for the coffee... turned round still only 1/4 awake, and saw THAT!!!! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Yet again the imaging and creative talent on this board proves stunning. Thanks Don!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Jul 3 2007, 07:06 AM
Post #11

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

Wow.
And with Victoria just to the right of the image to have a sense of scale, that would be a BIG storm!

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Jul 3 2007, 06:28 AM) *
DDAVIS: That brought me to Mars, tonight. Thanks.

That brought me to Arrakis. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
slinted
post Jul 3 2007, 10:25 AM
Post #12

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21

Beautiful image DDavis!

Black Rock is the closest I've ever felt to being on Mars, 40+ C not withstanding. Dust devils galore, some very thick and hazy dust storms, and the playa under your feet all add up to a truly alien landscape. That image brought it all back (and home, when it comes to Opportunity's current situation).

+Quote Post
mchan
post Jul 4 2007, 01:59 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 476

Black Rock may be Mars-like at times. Then there are other times when a sudden downpour turns the playa dust into 6 inches (15 cm) of sticky, messy mud. But watching the clouds disperse and the stars and planets come out over late night ritual pyrotechnics is worth that.

+Quote Post
MarsIsImportant
post Jul 13 2007, 12:46 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 1503

Should this be merged with the other thread in the Opportunity forum?

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 13 2007, 07:23 AM
Post #15

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

This thread had happily died, and was more about storms in general. 'the storm' is a thread more relevant to the rovers. If they were merged, the posts here would loose their context.

Doug

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:12 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.