IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

28 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL - Astronomical Observations, Phobos/Deimos, planetary/celestial observations and more
Gerald
post Apr 23 2014, 01:28 PM
Post #211

Group: Members
Member No.: 6780

Two Sol 606 images, this and this, of Saturn, cleaned (intersect subtracted), 4x magnified, registered, summed, some dark gray subtracted, cropped:
Attached Image

Edit:
A Sol 606 Phobos image cleaned by the intersection used above, magnified 2x, brightness stretched a bit:
Attached Image

(The hot pixel artifact / black dot occurs when using the Phobos image for cleaning, too.)

Edit: A pair of Sol 606 MR Deimos Jupiter images (this and this), cleaned by darkest, magnified x4, registered, averaged, no further brightness adjustments:
Attached Image

Longer exposure may have caused some motion blur.

(Edit: Corrected text, after Deimos' clarifying post about the order of aims, below.)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Deimos
post Apr 24 2014, 11:29 PM
Post #212

Martian Photographer

Member No.: 183

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2014-126

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Apr 25 2014, 01:24 AM
Post #213

Member No.: 15

Odd -- not only will the link not load, the main JPL website won't load, either. I'm getting good page loads pretty much everywhere else on the 'net, so I don't think it's my connection, here.

-the other Doug (with my shield, not yet upon it)

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Apr 25 2014, 01:45 AM
Post #214

Member No.: 5221

It's up now. Both of Dawn's destinations, plus a couple of outer planets to boot! With all this preparation, anticipations for October just keep growing...

+Quote Post
wildespace
post Apr 25 2014, 07:45 AM
Post #215

Member No.: 6842

My version of Phobos + Deimos image layering, using "difference" mode to exclude image noise:

Attached Image

Pixel-resized x4:

Attached Image

A bit unfortunate that Phobos intersected that hot pixel area the moment image was taken.

I am curious about the slightly greenish apeparance of Phobos in Mastcam images. Is it due to the atmospheric conditions, or the way camera operates?

--------------------

+Quote Post
fredk
post Apr 25 2014, 02:24 PM
Post #216

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (wildespace @ Apr 25 2014, 08:45 AM) *
I am curious about the slightly greenish apeparance of Phobos in Mastcam images.

Check out the discussion of the greenish cast of mastcam images in the MSL Images & Cameras thread.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Apr 25 2014, 05:08 PM
Post #217

QUOTE (wildespace @ Apr 25 2014, 08:45 AM) *
My version of Phobos + Deimos image layering, using "difference" mode to exclude image noise:

I'm not quite sure any more about the other object being Deimos, after the press release.
It's probably either Jupiter or Saturn, not quite sure which of the two.
Since there is a second object which easily survived the cleaning, registering, and stretching of the images, I'm pretty shure, that the two images (973, 974) actually match.
Here the combined and enhanced version of the cleaned images:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Apr 25 2014, 06:12 PM
Post #218

This Sol 606 Mastcam Left image cleaned, combined and enhanced, using this one:

The Phobos part is cropped of the cleaned first image.

Edit:
Similarly for Deimos, from this and this ML image:

+Quote Post
Deimos
post Apr 25 2014, 06:22 PM
Post #219

Martian Photographer

Member No.: 183

Looks like Jupiter to me. cool.gif The aims appear to be Phobos-->Jupiter-->Deimos and friends-->Saturn-->Regulus.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Apr 25 2014, 08:57 PM
Post #220

Thanks a lot! smile.gif

From knowing, this and this image aiming to Regulus, at least two more stars can be identified:
Attached Image

(The raw images have been cleaned, combined, denoised, and enhanced over a couple of steps.)

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Apr 25 2014, 10:39 PM
Post #221

An idea of the Sol 606/607 tau (by ML):
Attached Image

+Quote Post
fredk
post Apr 26 2014, 12:40 AM
Post #222

Member No.: 152

What do you mean by tau, Gerald? Are you saying that the glare around the sun or Phobos is an indication of tau? I'd've guessed that glare within the optical system was more important, at least for the low tau levels these days. If you compared with identical exposures at times of high tau maybe you'd see a difference in the glare?

Normally the brightness of the sun's disc is used as a measure of tau.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Apr 26 2014, 02:27 AM
Post #223

That's the direction I've been thinking. Part of the atmospheric opacity should be caused by scattering of light, not just by absorption. I'm presuming, that this could result in different halos or glares.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Apr 26 2014, 04:22 AM
Post #224

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (fredk @ Apr 25 2014, 05:40 PM) *
Are you saying that the glare around the sun or Phobos is an indication of tau? I'd've guessed that glare within the optical system was more important...

This recapitulates a discussion we've had within the imaging team. I tend to agree with Fred; we never characterized the Mastcams for stray light behavior at this kind of level.

I think you could do something with the sky brightness far enough away from the sun, and I believe that's part of the tau strategy. Phobos in the field, my guess is probably not.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
MarsInMyLifetime
post Apr 27 2014, 05:44 AM
Post #225

Member No.: 6108

Just a thought on another use for Gerald's image: Accumulation of dust on the front surface of the optics will be responsible for a significant part of this glare (isn't it actually flare?). If you can use the conventional measures of tau as a coefficient to factor out aerosol scattering contribution to the flare, the remaining component should be a relative indication of the dust accumulation.

--------------------
--
Don

+Quote Post

28 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:29 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.