Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Lichens Survive In Space On Esa Mission, Biopan Foton
ljk4-1
post Nov 13 2005, 12:22 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 430

Lichens survive in space aboard ESA's Foton M-2 mission launched into low-Earth orbit by a Russian Soyuz rocket, 31 May. After reaching orbit, the Biopan facility containing the lichens opened to expose them to the vacuum, radiation and wide temperature fluctuations of space for 14.6 days. It closed again for reentry and landing by parachute. The samples were examined at the ESA research facility in Noordwijk, the Netherlands.

The survival rate exceeded 90%, and photosynthesis was not impaired, according to the scientist in charge of the experiment, Leopoldo García Sancho of the Complutense University of Madrid. The results "would support the theory of panspermia," he said.

This links to images from the Biopan 4 and 5 missions:

http://www.astrobiology.nl/pictures/index.php

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Nov 13 2005, 04:42 AM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

Next time they should send up samples from the little patch of crab grass I've been fighting in my back lawn. Nothing can kill that stuff.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
gpurcell
post Nov 13 2005, 04:34 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 127

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Nov 13 2005, 04:42 AM)
Next time they should send up samples from the little patch of crab grass I've been fighting in my back lawn.  Nothing can kill that stuff.

Bamboo. You want to spread life through the universe, fly bamboo shoots on penetrators!

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Jan 4 2006, 06:51 PM
Post #4

What no bubbles? Results of the ARIEL experiment from Foton-M2 mission

The Foton-M2 space flight mission, deployed in Low-Earth Orbit between 31 May
and 16 June 2005, has produced some very interesting results in the area of
fluid physics. The ARIEL experiment, flown in ESA’s FluidPac instrument as part
of the Foton-M2 payload was investigating how the application of an electric
field to a liquid in weightlessness affects the boiling process.

More at:

http://www.esa.int/esaHS/SEM2JH0VRHE_research_0.html

--------------------
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Jan 4 2006, 10:24 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 239

QUOTE (gpurcell @ Nov 13 2005, 05:34 PM)
Bamboo.  You want to spread life through the universe, fly bamboo shoots on penetrators!

No. Make the penetrators *out* of bamboo shoots!

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Feb 7 2006, 02:13 PM
Post #6

EXO LIFE

Panspermia - A Radiating Experience

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Pansperm...Experience.html

Berlin, Germany (SPX) Feb 07, 2006 - In this interview with Astrobiology
Magazine, Gerda Horneck of the German Aerospace Center discusses the effects of
space radiation on life. She has spent her career studying the controversial
concept of Panspermia – that life could be transported between different planets
by meteorites. She has also looked at issues faced by human astronauts as they
venture into space and explore other worlds.

Extremophile Bacteria Do One Job In Daylight And Another At Night

http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Extremop...r_At_Night.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Feb 24 2006, 10:04 PM
Post #7

Texas State research sheds new light on panspermia

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=19104

"When the space shuttle Columbia broke apart during reentry Feb. 1, 2003, more
than 80 on-board science experiments were lost in the fiery descent. Texas State
University-San Marcos biologist Robert McLean, however, has salvaged some
unexpected science from the wreckage. A strain of slow-growing bacteria survived
the crash, a discovery which may have significant implications for the concept of
panspermia."

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Feb 24 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 239

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Feb 24 2006, 10:04 PM) *
Texas State research sheds new light on panspermia

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=19104

"When the space shuttle Columbia broke apart during reentry Feb. 1, 2003, more
than 80 on-board science experiments were lost in the fiery descent. Texas State
University-San Marcos biologist Robert McLean, however, has salvaged some
unexpected science from the wreckage. A strain of slow-growing bacteria survived
the crash, a discovery which may have significant implications for the concept of
panspermia."

Better than that - there was an experiment with worms aboard Columbia, and they, too, survived the destruction of the Orbiter. The canister inside which they were being held was recovered intact several months later - but none of the worms which had flown aboard Columbia were by then alive, having died of old age! Instead, the canister was inhabited by subsequent generations of the little blighters, all descended from the astro-worms...

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post May 12 2006, 02:59 PM
Post #9

Survival in Space: An Interview With Astrobiologist Charles Cockell (Part 2)

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.nl.html?pid=20573

"What I'm doing, in common with many other European scientists, is to select
various organisms that can survive extreme conditions, and to send them into
Earth orbit to see how they respond to the conditions of space. We're interested
in the survival of microbes in extreme space conditions from a planetary
protection point of view."

-- Contemplating Craters: An Interview With Astrobiologist Charles Cockell (Part 1)

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.nl.html?pid=20572

"One of the things I'm interested in as a microbiologist is the way in which
asteroid and comet impacts might create new opportunities for life. We've been
doing work in a number of craters, including the Haughton crater in the Canadian
High Arctic, and also the Chesapeake Bay impact crater, which is an 80-kilometer
diameter crater in the US. One of the things we find is that the massive energy of
impacts can shatter rocks and create habitats for microorganisms."

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:22 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.