Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Feb 5 2007, 04:13 PM
Post #2

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

That is a nice set. Since it is distant, a bit small, but nice. When PDS versions of these are available in a year or so, it would make for a great super-resolution image. Voyager 1 got a very similar shot during its approach.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Exploitcorporati...
post Feb 12 2007, 11:25 AM
Post #3

SewingMachine

Group: Members
Member No.: 510

This might be best evaluated by Ted Stryk and Phil Stooke. For Phil, I was wondering if the area marked with the pink ellipses in these two perspectives was identified as a candidate impact basin from Voyager imagery, and if not, if it looks like a very degraded basin to you. For both Ted and Phil: could it just be artifacts from the sharpening process?

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
...if you don't like my melody, i'll sing it in a major key, i'll sing it very happily. heavens! everybody's all aboard? let's take it back to that minor chord...

Exploitcorporations on Flickr (in progress) : https://www.flickr.com/photos/135024395@N07/

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Feb 12 2007, 11:35 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 523

I'm no Phil or Ted (PoT), but the feature is also visible in Ted's super-res view as well as subtly outlined in your 2005 view. My money is it's a real feature. Curiously elliptical, though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Feb 12 2007, 11:37 AM
Post #5

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

The right-hand side looks like one, but I think that it may be part of a larger, rounder structure - I am not convinced of the left-hand side. Whatever it is, it must be old!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Exploitcorporati...
post Feb 12 2007, 11:40 AM
Post #6

SewingMachine

Member No.: 510

Okay, I'm just glad I'm not seeing deceased religious figures in the proverbial spaghetti. The right-hand side is more convincing to me as well. I think the left-hand "margin" I outlined is more likely a coincidental string of relatively fresh craters.

--------------------
...if you don't like my melody, i'll sing it in a major key, i'll sing it very happily. heavens! everybody's all aboard? let's take it back to that minor chord...

Exploitcorporations on Flickr (in progress) : https://www.flickr.com/photos/135024395@N07/

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Feb 12 2007, 11:46 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 523

Yes, the left-hand side appears to be a string of craters. See also this image which is lage enough to show this.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 12 2007, 02:53 PM
Post #8

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

The feature was not identified as a basin before. It is faintly visible in the best Voyager images of the area, but only as an albedo marking. I would want to see it near the terminator before concluding that it was really a basin, or whether it's really elliptical. Only half of it is clearly seen, and it might be more circular, but affected by some overlapping feature.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:14 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.