2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Hemel Hempstead Plume Search, Man made objects visible from space
dvandorn
post Dec 15 2005, 08:21 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

I have a cousin who lives in England. After the explosion and fire, my mother forwarded to me some e-mails he had sent his own parents.

It seems that, every morning, my cousin would take a morning jog to the end of the local road and back -- and the end of the local road was the outer boundary of the fuel farm. From jogging it hundreds of times, he knows it's exactly 1.4 miles from his back door.

They had a little greenhouse attached to their main house. The frame still stands, but most of the glass shattered out. Many of the windows in the back of the house (facing the explosion) were also shattered, and one door frame was bent a bit.

Other than that, my cousin and his wife are fine. But it surely brought the thing home to me when I read his descriptions.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 12 2007, 07:31 PM
Post #17

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Today a fire broke out at the Olympic site in East London...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7090725.stm

I said to my colleage Josh "Oo - 1230, Terra and Aqua might get a picture - when are their passes...AHH...Aqua will get it at 1300 ish"

By 1530 - bingo - the image was on the Modis website at 500m/pixel and the fire was indeed visible!!!

The 250m image just popped up as well

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/realtim...131000.250m.jpg
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 12 2007, 07:57 PM
Post #18

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Wow...that's a big one! Heard about it on the news, unreal that we have publicly available overhead imagery so quickly... ohmy.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Nov 13 2007, 11:41 AM
Post #19

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

What happened...did some poor soul not make sure their cigarette was out?

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 13 2007, 11:43 AM
Post #20

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I think the ego of the guy who kicked off our Olympic bid, Seb Coe, exploded.

Doug

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 13 2007, 12:17 PM
Post #21

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Oooo...burn!!! tongue.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:45 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.