5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Juno, perijove 14, July 16, 2018
Sean
post Jul 19 2018, 10:03 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 7837

There is still some manual placement required but the Juno Observer tool is invaluable for creating new compositions from multiple images, coverage allowing.

Here is a version of PJ14_21 from Gerald warped to a reprojected result from Matt's JO tool...

...and a comp without reprojection from Gerald's output...

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kevin Gill
post Jul 19 2018, 10:05 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 7220

A good perijove worth of data. Waiting eagerly for more to be posted :-)

Also, having some trouble with ISIS3 and reprojecting the data for the camera perspective view on the close-up angles. My pipeline uses junocam2isis, spiceinit, cam2map, automos, & map2cam to assemble the images. Works well for the approach and departure views, just not for this sort of view. I figured I'm asking a bit much of map2cam (which uses the middle-most exposure for the camera angle), but curious if I'm missing anything.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Sean
post Jul 19 2018, 11:42 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 7837

A composite of 4 re-projected images [18,19,20&21] to tease out this oval hiding in the margins... [Brealey/Doran]

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jul 20 2018, 12:00 AM
Post #34

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

Image PJ14_26 in approximately true color/contrast and then enhanced versions that have been processed with an unsharp mask with several different radius values - basically the radius increases with increasing distance from the horizon.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

The spacecraft was only ~3800 km above Jupiter's cloudtops when PJ14_26 was obtained.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jul 20 2018, 01:15 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Kevin Gill @ Jul 19 2018, 02:05 PM) *
A good perijove worth of data. Waiting eagerly for more to be posted :-)
... I figured I'm asking a bit much of map2cam

It's taking a long time for the DSN to downlink everything and there are some partial images stuck in the pipeline.

I'm not much of an ISIS3 expert but map2cam shouldn't be able to introduce errors, so I suspect that something is bad in the processing before that. Are you using the most recent beta version from June? I don't think it's visible from the public site but if you're serious about trying it, PM me and I'll send you the instructions.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Kevin Gill
post Jul 20 2018, 06:11 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 7220

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Jul 19 2018, 09:15 PM) *
It's taking a long time for the DSN to downlink everything and there are some partial images stuck in the pipeline.

I'm not much of an ISIS3 expert but map2cam shouldn't be able to introduce errors, so I suspect that something is bad in the processing before that. Are you using the most recent beta version from June? I don't think it's visible from the public site but if you're serious about trying it, PM me and I'll send you the instructions.

I would love to try out any updates to ISIS3. I'm using the current stable release from April.

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jul 20 2018, 09:01 PM
Post #37

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

The image from ISIS3 also suggests to me that the problem probably lies earlier in the processing (probably a bad/distorted map for some reason).

However, there was some discussion in a thread here maybe ~2 months ago where ISIS3 was mentioned as part of a discussion concerning optical distortion corrections, the optical axis etc. From the discussion I got the impression that at least until relatively recently ISIS3 probably wasn't handling JunoCam completely correctly - I might be wrong though since I haven't been using ISIS3 to process the JunoCam images (I have been using it mainly for the Cassini images and that's a completely different camera). But in this context it's interesting that I noticed in some of your processed PJ13 images that the images were truncated 'inside' the limb, i.e. a small part of Jupiter very near the limb was missing. At least this was true for images obtained at very close range, I didn't look at other images.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jul 21 2018, 04:35 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 6780

PJ14, part 3:

#28, #30:
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jul 21 2018, 04:37 AM
Post #39

#31, #32:
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jul 21 2018, 04:39 AM
Post #40

#33. #34. #35:
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jul 21 2018, 04:41 AM
Post #41

#36, #37, #38:
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jul 21 2018, 04:44 AM
Post #42

#39, #40.
#41, #42:
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jul 21 2018, 04:48 AM
Post #43

#43, #44,
#45, #46:
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jul 21 2018, 04:51 AM
Post #44

#47, #48,
#49, #50,
#51, #52:
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jul 21 2018, 05:00 AM
Post #45

#53, and #58:
Attached Image
Attached Image

Note, that several departure images are intentionally overexposed, in order to improve quality near the terminator, especially the polar region with the circumpolar cyclones.
One of the methane band images is unsharp, obviously due to motion blur, but on the other hand, it doesn't show the stray light issues with TDI enabled for long exposure time.

Here links to according draft versions, to enhanced reprojected PNG versions, and to a first run of map products.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:31 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.