Reply to this topicStart new topic
STS 122, Colombus to the ISS
hendric
post Dec 12 2007, 08:16 PM
Post #31

Director of Galilean Photography

Group: Members
Member No.: 93

Well, no wonder they are having problems with fuel level sensors in the external tank. That giant spider is sucking out all the fuel! I for one welcome our new arachnid overlords! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 13 2007, 02:07 PM
Post #32

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

(You suck-up! tongue.gif )

Just an obervation, but an external tank would make one hell of a can of Raid...

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 31 2007, 02:13 PM
Post #33

Merciless Robot

Looks like this is gonna stretch on a bit; they've decided to replace a tank boundary connector.

Definitely an AC-capacitance system. Open shielding in these systems causes an off-scale high indication, which is completely anethemic to the intent of these sensors, since there would be no cutoff signal for the engines if the tank ran dry. (An open center conductor would cause an off-scale low indication, which would cause premature engine cutoff--also not good.)

This is quite literally Monday-morning quarterbacking, but I have to wonder why they chose capacitive sensors for a discrete signal function. C-5 aircraft, which entered production in 1966, have tank low-level sensors as well, but they use thermistors--if the fuel's gone, they heat up & change their resistance, turning on a warning light. Guess that this might have been deemed too risky for LH2, but still...

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
kspace
post Jan 12 2008, 03:52 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 3963

Launch date set for Feb. 7th

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/main/index.html

Jan. 11

NASA Friday announced Feb. 7 as the target launch date for shuttle Atlantis' STS-122 mission to the International Space Station and mid-March for the launch of Endeavour on STS-123. Liftoff of Atlantis from NASA's Kennedy Space Center, Fla., will be at 2:47 p.m. EST.

A decision by the Russian Federal Space Agency to move up its Progress launch from Feb. 7 to Feb. 5 enables both STS-122 and STS-123 to launch before the next Russian Soyuz mission in early April. This allows astronauts assigned to the space station's Expedition 16 crew to complete the tasks they have trained for, including support of the launch and docking of Jules Verne, the first European Space Agency Automated Transfer Vehicle. Targeting Feb. 7 also allows time to complete modifications to the engine cutoff sensor system that postponed two shuttle launch attempts in December.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jan 12 2008, 05:14 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 15

Yes, and the solution to the ECO sensor problem? Solder the pin connectors! This is apparently a fix that people came up with for a very similar problem in Centaur upper stages nearly 40 years ago. It took this amount of time and effort for someone to check another program's Lessons Learned Book... *sigh*...

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 12 2008, 05:32 PM
Post #36

Merciless Robot

I hear ya, but can't get too mad at them for it. Fuel quantity sucks!!!

There are a few avionics systems that are always very peculiar (in terms of design) to specific aerospace vehicles: G&C, and fuel quantity sensing systems are usually the biggies. This fact tends to channelize thinking when troubleshooting, since drawing analogies to equivalent systems on other platforms often isn't practical, at least down into minutae like connector designs. I just hope that it works.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doc
post Feb 7 2008, 11:14 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 3978

With the launch of STS-122 approaching, I thought it right to ressurect this thread.

Weather is not looking too good but other than that, no technical faults to talk about.(30% chance for launch).

Latest radar of the area-->
http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=mlb...111&loop=no

--------------------
We talk of nothing but Curiosity here
Follow me on twitter or Google +

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Feb 7 2008, 12:06 PM
Post #38

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Jan 12 2008, 06:14 PM) *
Yes, and the solution to the ECO sensor problem? Solder the pin connectors! This is apparently a fix that people came up with for a very similar problem in Centaur upper stages nearly 40 years ago. It took this amount of time and effort for someone to check another program's Lessons Learned Book... *sigh*...

-the other Doug

And what might happen if the solder cracks ?.....

+Quote Post
Doc
post Feb 7 2008, 01:27 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 3978

QUOTE (MahFL @ Feb 7 2008, 03:06 PM) *
And what might happen if the solder cracks ?.....

May the Almighty forbid that!

--------------------
We talk of nothing but Curiosity here
Follow me on twitter or Google +

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 7 2008, 01:30 PM
Post #40

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I think that's an issue that was sorted years ago. There is soldering on so many components of LV's - that I'm sure specific ways, means and methods for avoiding that problem have been addressed for decades.

Doug

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 7 2008, 03:27 PM
Post #41

Merciless Robot

I'm sure that they're using something radically different in composition then conventional solder. For example, high-temp connections such as jet engine thermocouples use silver solder; presumably there is a cryogenically-resistant equivalent, but don't know what it might be.

--------------------

+Quote Post
paxdan
post Feb 7 2008, 07:29 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 221

I'm gonna be in the chat room if anyone is about for the launch

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 7 2008, 07:50 PM
Post #43

Founder

And away she goes smile.gif
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 7 2008, 07:56 PM
Post #44

Founder

STUNNING ET sep shots - a whole swathe of back lit plasmarey, RCS-exhaustey lovely stuff.

It's been a long time, but Columbus is in space.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
K-P
post Feb 7 2008, 08:13 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 3919

Oh man... Sometimes I feel REALLY stupid... unsure.gif

I tried to get NASA TV working via internet as usual when watching shuttle launches and there were some problems this time to see broadcast. I was like grrr....... Is it now just watching text-updates on spaceflightnow.com smile.gif NO WAY! Still trying to resolve problem, no... no broadcast on my screen, T- 2minutes... shiteshiteshite....! Whattodoo?!?!? Then I got it. TELEVISION! (remember that old grey non-interactive box?). Quickly CNN. "T- 10seconds, 9,8..." phew! Oh man... I felt SOO stupid. biggrin.gif

Nice launch anyway, and finally we Europeans have our own little module in space. And then we separate it as independent station and then we fly our own Hermes-shuttle there and... .... ...then I woke up and changed dry underwear.

blink.gif

No, really, great, this has been a long time coming, let's say half of my short but prosperous and impressive life.

Over and out.

--------------------
Spamming the Solar System with greetings since 1997!
(New Horizons, Huygens, Opportunity/Spirit, Deep Impact, Dawn, Phoenix, Selene... to name a few) :)

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 10:46 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.