Reply to this topicStart new topic
Huge comet outburst reported, 17P/Holmes
djellison
post Nov 15 2007, 10:40 AM
Post #136

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Visible as a fuzzy blob to the naked eye last night ( beautifully clear skies here in Leciester - Mars was just spectacular)

Binos - just like a little diffuse cloud - no central brightness at all - just a little cloud.

Doug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Nov 15 2007, 06:11 PM
Post #137

Guests

http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/faculty/jewitt/holmes.html

Finally shows a tail in large telescopes:
http://www.spaceweather.com/comets/holmes/...el-j%E4ger1.jpg

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Nov 15 2007, 06:31 PM
Post #138

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

Finally shows a tail in large telescopes:
http://www.spaceweather.com/comets/holmes/...el-j%E4ger1.jpg

That is quite an old picture, I think that tail disconnected last week didn't it?

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Nov 15 2007, 06:49 PM
Post #139

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Nov 15 2007, 07:31 PM) *
That is quite an old picture, I think that tail disconnected last week didn't it?

Yes, it was taken on 4th November.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ynyralmaen
post Nov 15 2007, 07:18 PM
Post #140

Member No.: 438

HST images of Holmes have been released... bit more featureless than I was expecting.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Nov 15 2007, 09:34 PM
Post #141

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

The detail visible toward the center, especially in the November 4 image, is incredible.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nix
post Nov 15 2007, 10:56 PM
Post #142

Chief Assistant

Member No.: 136

I just took some shots, it's been cloudy for weeks but now I got it smile.gif

Nico

--------------------
photographer, space imagery enthusiast, proud father and partner, and geek.

http://500px.com/sacred-photons &

+Quote Post
MichaelT
post Nov 16 2007, 10:24 AM
Post #143

Member No.: 211

I was also successful last night. Even though there were many clouds around. When I returned home around 22:30 (21:30 UT) I noticed that it started to clear up a bit. Luckily I still had all my telescope equipment in my car. I put on some warm clothes and headed for the countryside, out of the city (near Hanover, Germany). I had just set up everything, polar aligned the scope and taken one 3 min exposure when the clouds moved in again mad.gif.
There did not seem to be another chance for photos, so I put everything back into the car and headed back. I had just driven 10 km when it started to clear up, again...
So I went back. This time it stayed mostly clear for a longer period and I was able to take some more pictures (about 23:45 UT).
The first image is a composite of 5 x 3 min and 2 x 1 min exposures at ISO 1600 with a Canon 40D and through a Takahashi FS 60C refractor (focal length = 355 mm, f/5.9).
The greenish halo and the tail visible so nicely until about a week ago are completely gone.
Attached Image

The second image is from 4 November. It is a composite of several 2 min exposures (ISO 1600) with an AP 155 EDT (not mine, unfortunately smile.gif ). Different Larson-Sekanina-filters were applied to the final image (the resulting images were than stacked) to enhance the subtle brightness variations in the coma. You can very well see three jets emanating from the center as well as some nice structures in the outer portions of the coma. The direction of the sun is to the lower left.
Attached Image

Michael

+Quote Post
climber
post Nov 16 2007, 05:53 PM
Post #144

Member No.: 682

Hi Michael !

Very interesting shots!
You can even use the 2nd one as an art object! Who could guess it's a comet!
So many details visibles.
Thanks for sharing

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 17 2007, 12:09 AM
Post #145

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Was trying to figure out how to take nice wide field DSLR images of this thing without any means of tracking. In the end I decided to do multiple 8s exposures at ISO 1600, then stack them up hopefully eliminating some of the noise because the subject will move.

This is the result from just 4 frames.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Stu
post Nov 17 2007, 12:33 AM
Post #146

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Very nice pic that Doug. smile.gif

We had a great view of the comet at my astronomy society's special "Skywatch" tonight (last night now, I guess!) up here in Kendal, held next to the old ruined castle that overlooks the town. Around 30 people made the long hike up the hill to join us at the castle to see the comet, the Moon and Mars through our telescopes and binoculars, and they all seemed to enjoy themselves. The comet was still visible to the naked eye, but thrpugh binocs and 'scope it is definitely dimmer tho larger. Its "central bar" is more pronounced now in my 4.5", and it's still lovely to look at.

One of the best things about tonight was that quite a few kids came up, including a couple of the girls I talked to when I gave a talk to Kendal Brownies last Monday, to help them all get their "Stargazer" badge... one of them, 9yr old astronaut-in-waiting said that the comet looked like "a spooky ghost..."! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 20 2007, 01:10 PM
Post #147

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Nice article (with a very nice set of pics) about Holmes on the S&T website. Seems that its orbital history has been evolving due to Jupiter's influence, might have set up the circumstances for this outburst.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/11372856.html

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 8 9 10
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:03 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.