IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
UnmannedSpaceflight.com and The Planetary Society, "A match made in the heavens"
Poolio
post Oct 6 2010, 11:56 AM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 4469

Sounds great! If ever there were a match made in heaven, this is it.

Will membership dues and donations to TPS help cover the cost of UMSF, or will it still be required to fund UMSF separately? Not trying to save a few bucks here, just wondering... After all, these two websites account for the bulk of my internet time every day.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Lunik9_*
post Oct 6 2010, 03:40 PM
Post #32

Guests

TPS has a nice logo... it's a match made in outer space smile.gif
Seriously will http://planetary.org/amateur/index.html also include a gallery with magazine covers & newspaper articles provided by UMSF forum members?

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 6 2010, 06:47 PM
Post #33

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Stephen, there is a written agreement that outlines the boundaries between the Society and UnmannedSpaceflight.com. It's true that bosses change, and that admins and mods may come and go, but the admin team is the same as it was the day before yesterday and none of us anticipates it changing much any time soon. I'll be honest, nobody else who is employed by the Society even reads this forum, but everyone there is delighted to see the beautiful images that I pull out of it to show them.

Nick, I've confirmed that we are participating in the CFC this year, but I haven't heard back on my double-check of the specific code yet.

Lunik9, there probably wouldn't be a separate gallery for such images, but certainly it could be noted in image captions (and with a tag) if an image has been published somewhere.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Oct 6 2010, 09:20 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 1241

Emily,
...by any chance did he transfer the title, 'dictator for life of unmannedspaceflight.com' ?

Oh well! Doug is extremely lucky, you are very lucky, and we all are just lucky to be here!

Good Luck to us all (!!) ... PDP8e

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Oct 6 2010, 09:35 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 542

I have expressed here before my belief that the origin and evolution of UnmannedSpaceflight.com is a piece of history in it's own right deserving of preservation as a "world heritage site". Future historians of science, of public participation in science, and of the role of the internet therein will find it an invaluable case study. I hope that one of the things the Planetary Society will now do is to archive a copy of the whole contents of the forum up to this point, entirely independent from the server on which it runs.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 7 2010, 12:22 AM
Post #36

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Thanks, Emily. Please let me know when you get the code; want to verify that my donation's going to the correct place! wink.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Pertinax
post Oct 7 2010, 12:49 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 181

I'm a bit slow to post here and as such my apologies sad.gif !

That said, CONGRATULATIONS to you Doug and I can't wait to hear more of your role at JPL. I'll admit that I'm even more excited about that bit of news than the pleasant news that UMSF has comfortable and hopefully safe home with the PS. (One more inch closer in being drug kicking and screaming toward twitter.) Thank you Emily for your efforts biggrin.gif !

While not a prolific poster, I love UMSF!

Cheers!

-- Pertinax

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Oct 7 2010, 02:24 PM
Post #38

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

sniff...and to think that yesterday this baby was giving its first steps...sniff smile.gif
What a ride my friends, w-h-a-t a r-i-d-e ! ! !

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
hendric
post Oct 7 2010, 04:29 PM
Post #39

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

Great news!

Re: Ngunn's proposal

How about we just archive the site and place it on the DVDs along with all the names TPS collects for planetary missions? Would be a great way to archive the site for the future!

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 8 2010, 04:57 AM
Post #40

Administrator

Member No.: 454

QUOTE (nprev @ Oct 5 2010, 04:13 PM) *
Also, do you happen to know if TPS is on the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) this year? I looked for it in the pamphlet but didn't see it; entered the code from last year anyhow, hoping for the best...

The code is 53736 -- hope that's what you entered! smile.gif

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 8 2010, 05:09 AM
Post #41

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

We have a winner!!! biggrin.gif Yep, that was it, same as last year. Thanks, Emily!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
NW71
post Oct 8 2010, 06:18 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 5179

I'm sure there has been far more work behind the scenes to make this happen than people are modestly coming clean about so many congratulations to all.

To Emily and all the other administrators - you can feel a real warm glow of pride with this news at a job well done.

Doug - many congratulations on your 'new' job. It must be a dream come true.

Now if JPL just needed an accountant/statistician... laugh.gif

Neil

+Quote Post
ups
post Oct 9 2010, 01:33 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 138

Doug, your little project here has become quite successful over the years -- congratulations.

+Quote Post
lyford
post Oct 9 2010, 02:25 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 124

Man I go off the grid for a few weeks and what happens?!?!? ohmy.gif

HOORAY and HUZZAH! This is great news all around... smile.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Oct 9 2010, 03:08 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 4489

i guess it is about time to re register at the planetary Society
it has been about 20 years since i was getting the" planetary report " in the mail

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:51 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.