Reply to this topicStart new topic
First HiRISE Images Coming Soon!, test images to be taken week of March 20
ljk4-1
post Apr 8 2006, 02:58 AM
Post #211

Group: Members
Member No.: 430

QUOTE (BillyMER @ Apr 7 2006, 10:49 PM) *
wow my thoughts exactly 'jk4-1 I was begining to think I was the only one...... I guess right now people are just interested in seeing the pics rather then comparing them if they can. I've been wondering how all these craters compare in size to Victoria and endurance. Are some of the craters we are seeing so well now ever been seen before ? What size would the rovers be,could they be clearly seen. I'm looking for a basis of camparison and not finding any.

No, you are not alone, BillyMER.

It kind of reminds me of a Mars Pathfinder/Sojourner press conference I saw
on CSPAN in 1997. A group of MP/S scientists and engineers were being asked
about what the probe was finding out about Mars and in particular what the
surface was made of. The responses were all aimed at university geology
student levels and higher until finally one gently confused and frustrated
reporter asked if the eminent folks before them could convey their findings
in terrestrial terms: What would the Martian ground around MP be like if
you had to compare it to ground on Earth?

One geologist answered with "Kind of like beach sand." That's when you
could hear the press folk go "Aha!" both literally and figuratively, and the
MP team started explaining things in less abstract terms, and the whole
atmosphere of the conference went so much better after that right to the end.

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Apr 8 2006, 04:05 AM
Post #212

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Apr 7 2006, 07:29 PM) *
Are there some images from other recent Mars orbiters we can compare
them to the ones shown by MRO?

These look pretty much like MOC images. They're about the same resolution and they show pretty much the same thing -- Mars has a lot of sand dunes and craters smile.gif

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Apr 8 2006, 04:11 AM
Post #213

Yep - that's why I was asking to see other images from other orbiters
to know just how more detailed the MRO images are. Or do I need to
wait for the really detailed ones?

And do you know if the MRO team plans to image not just the old and
new USA landers and rovers, both intact and crashed, but also the
Beagle 2 and the three Soviet Mars landers, also both intact and crashed?

--------------------
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

+Quote Post
Circum
post Apr 8 2006, 04:35 AM
Post #214

Member No.: 517

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Apr 8 2006, 12:05 AM) *
These look pretty much like MOC images.

mcaplinger, I'm very glad to have you here posting, and I'm glad to have MOC there imaging -- we should be so lucky as to have MRO healthy and useful as many years from now as MGS has provided (and counting!) -- and I confess I don't really know nor do I have a good feel for the exact image size comparisons, but in glancing at what the test images have shown so far, I am minded of the old saying: "Quantity has a quality all its own."

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Apr 8 2006, 04:48 AM
Post #215

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Circum @ Apr 7 2006, 09:35 PM) *
I confess I don't really know nor do I have a good feel for the exact image size comparisons...

Doug did all the hard work on this; look back at
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...indpost&p=49703

I'm not sure if there's some overlap with one of these craters, but that'd be instructive. I'd say the MOC image is better than the HiRISE one in Doug's overlap, but MOC probably had better illumination. Clearly from the mapping orbit, HiRISE will outperform MOC.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Circum
post Apr 8 2006, 05:20 AM
Post #216

Member No.: 517

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Apr 8 2006, 12:48 AM) *
Doug did all the hard work on this; look back at
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...indpost&p=49703

Ahh, yes, thanks, I had seen that composite image of Doug's but wasn't clear in my head what was overlapping what; although connecting it with his earlier message it becomes obvious from the 'MOC' in the listed URL.

Two conclusions spring to mind: 1) If one is interested in large-area coverage, it takes a *lot* of thin strips -- and no doubt a lot of work to target them -- with MOC, and, 2) Once the science orbit is achieved though, the areal coverage disparity obviously won't be as large.

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Apr 8 2006, 10:32 AM
Post #217

Member No.: 174

Mars 2 (high speed impact),
Mars 3 (landed, maybe hard), and
Mars 6 (low speed impact -- went silent at MER-like retrofire or impact)

are not located well enough to find except by accident. Landing coordinates are given to 1 degree or certainly no better than 0.1 degree accuracy, and the coordinate system used is undoubtably not well tied to the current one.

I'd love to find'm, but the area to be imaged at full HIRES resolution and the uncertainty of uniquely identifying them till we have 0.1 meter resolution rather than HIRES resolution makes it probably not worth the effort.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Phil.

+Quote Post
Guest_BillyMER_*
post Apr 8 2006, 11:28 AM
Post #218

Guests

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Apr 7 2006, 11:11 PM) *
Yep - that's why I was asking to see other images from other orbiters
to know just how more detailed the MRO images are. Or do I need to
wait for the really detailed ones?

And do you know if the MRO team plans to image not just the old and
new USA landers and rovers, both intact and crashed, but also the
Beagle 2 and the three Soviet Mars landers, also both intact and crashed?

all i can figure is that no body here has the info (photos) on how well these areas have been photographed by other orbiters in the past or they would post comparisons. The only comparison I can think of in my mind is how blurry the sand dunes appear on all the route maps for oppy and how clear the dunes appear in these new MRO photos.

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Apr 8 2006, 03:24 PM
Post #219

Member No.: 239

The MRO test images were 'sold' as being significantly lower resolution than the expected final quality from the mapping orbit. The images which came down are of most interest as synoptic snapshots of a large area at good, but not highest, resolution, and as such are valuable in their own right (for once, we're not seeing small swathes but big areas at the same time, lit the same way, from the same camera and at resolutions which are still 'good'). They are not so detailed as the best MGS images - yet. And the quantity of data is immense!

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 8 2006, 07:40 PM
Post #220

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

edstrick: "Correct me if I'm wrong, Phil."

No need. You're dead right.

I assume all known sites will be imaged to help provide geological context and (for Viking 2) still try to nail down the location. Right now we have three candidate objects within about 1 km of each other. HiRISE might resolve the issue.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Apr 9 2006, 03:45 PM
Post #221

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Apr 8 2006, 03:40 PM) *
I assume all known sites will be imaged to help provide geological context and (for Viking 2) still try to nail down the location. Right now we have three candidate objects within about 1 km of each other. HiRISE might resolve the issue.

Phil

According to this, Viking 2 was found, with some help by a fellow with a name
very similar to yours:

http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2005/05/05/

Is there some new information out now?

And I know it will not be easy, but I do hope MRO will search for the three Soviet
landers, as we will then learn what finally happened to them. Mars 3 will probably
be the only intact one, but that is why we should search, because we don't know.

And they were the first probes on Mars, regardless of the fact that they didn't come
off nearly as well as the two Vikings - those show-offs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Apr 9 2006, 11:18 PM
Post #222

Guests

The most interesting thing I've found on those early photos was pointed out by Emily at http://planetary.org/news/2006/0407_Color_...tails_from.html , next-to-last photo -- a very, very small multiply branching channel, no more than a few hundred meters long and just a few meters wide, that absolutely MUST have been carved by flowing surface water from the rim of Argyre Crater. Now, what the hell does that signify? Something important, surely? Snowmelt off the slope of Argyre during Mars' most recent obliquity climate cycle a few tens of thousands of years ago, maybe?

+Quote Post
lyford
post Apr 10 2006, 01:04 AM
Post #223

Member No.: 124

Hope this isn't too past it's "freshness date" but Phil Plait has a good little bit comparing the resolution to a Google Earth image:
Bad Astronomy Blog

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 10 2006, 02:10 AM
Post #224

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

ljk4-1 asks about Viking 2.

Yes, I have a candidate point, Mike Malin has a candidate point, and Tim Parker (JPL) has a third candidate point. Each one is a tiny lump. Either two of them are boulders and one is Viking 2, or all three are boulders! We will need MRO to distinguish these possibilities.

I have tried using the best cPROTO MOC image to map the pattern of boulders around the candidate lander. This is at the limit of resolution. Unfortunately, Malin's lander position looks like it matches boulders better than the other two... but on the other hand, I can make Tim's point and mine match distant topography, but I can't make Malin's point match the distant topography. So it's not conclusive.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Apr 10 2006, 02:30 AM
Post #225

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Apr 9 2006, 06:10 PM) *
ljk4-1 asks about Viking 2.

Yes, I have a candidate point, Mike Malin has a candidate point, and Tim Parker (JPL) has a third candidate point.

Well if you win, we'll have to pour a bottle of wine on me.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 13 14 15
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:29 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.