IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Saturn map including ring shadows, Has anyone ever tried to assemble one?
FordPrefect
post Jun 13 2006, 02:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 738

Hello to all!

Long time forum lurker, first time poster. Being enthusiastic about spaceflight and space in general since my childhood, though having a long break in my twenties, now I am again deep in this fascinating subject. Three years ago I discovered Orbiter - a free spaceflight simulator by Dr. Martin Schweiger and after that I was hooked again.
And I am so thankful for all the gorgeous free information we can find on the internet regarding this hobby, and this forum looks to me a nice place with plenty of very knowledgable space exploration experts - its just excellent to come in here and gaze at you folks' work and analysis!

Sorry if this post is somehow off-topic, but I don't know where else this post would fit better. So Moderators, if you feel this has to be moved to another subforum feel free to do so.

Now my inquiry: Has anyone or NASA, Ciclops or anyone else ever tried to compile a Saturn map including the current ring shadows all in hi-resolution? I ask for this because I was thinking about creating a texture map, that would make look Saturn much more realistic in the Orbiter simulation. There are already hi-res ring textures available, so the only thing missing for Saturn would be such a texture. Perhaps there is a method to create this articificially with photoshop, but I guess projection of the shadows on a flat map seems quite challenging - at least to me. I would simply love to have a full planet texture including the current shadows on Saturns northern hemisphere along with the fascinating blue hue... rolleyes.gif

Any help or feedback is appreciated. Thanks to all!

Cheers
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 13 2006, 03:07 PM
Post #2

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Well - with 3ds Max (the package I use at work ) one could mock up all this and then ask 3ds max to 'bake' the textures using lighting, and thus generate a Saturn map that included the ring shadows....but I wouldn't know where to start in getting realistic shadow projection.

Doug

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jun 13 2006, 03:13 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 523

Producing a texture map with the shadows already overlaid is a bad idea for two reasons:
1. You can't make the planet rotate without the shadows following.
2. You're limited to only that specific sun angle, it's not very flexible that way because the shadow will always come down at the same angle, regardless of the current season.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FordPrefect
post Jun 13 2006, 03:26 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (ugordan @ Jun 13 2006, 05:13 PM) *
Producing a texture map with the shadows already overlaid is a bad idea for two reasons:
1. You can't make the planet rotate without the shadows following.
2. You're limited to only that specific sun angle, it's not very flexible that way because the shadow will always come down at the same angle, regardless of the current season.

Yes, I am aware of those problems. For the first I already have the solution to create a cloud texture, which rotates the planet in the Orbiter simulation, you can adjust the rotation speed so the texture would stay fixed relative to the sun.
Your second point of course is absolutely valid. There is no solution for that.
Well, I would need the texture just during simulation of Cassinis several Saturn moon flybys in its scientific duty time...

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jun 14 2006, 08:03 PM
Post #5

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

There is an additional reason that making a Saturn map that includes the ring shadows is a bad idea: It makes more sense to simply render the shadows using a transparency map of the rings. This also (as previosuly noted) gives you far more flexibility.

And actually I'm working on a 9000x4500 pixel texture map of Saturn as I write this...

+Quote Post
angel1801
post Jun 15 2006, 05:05 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 694

Some good news on this. From July 22, 2006, Cassini will undertake the 180 degree transfer sequence. This means that the spacecraft will get to view Saturn overhead from as high as 75 degrees tilt from the equator. This means lots of chances of high-resoultion moasics of the planet and the rings together.

--------------------
I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day, that I have set before thee life and death, the blessing and the curse; therefore choose life, that thou mayest live, thou and thy seed.

- Opening line from episode 13 of "Cosmos"

+Quote Post
Rob Pinnegar
post Jun 15 2006, 02:12 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 426

It'll be interesting to see those high-inclination shots. Some of them will be the first ones to show Saturn as a globe in space without the rings -- in fact, seen from the right angle, even the rings' shadow might not be very visible, 'tho I'm speculating here.

A 75-degree inclination should be enough to get the C Ring out of the way. It might not do the same for the D Ring, but the D Ring is pretty much invisible anyways, when seen from "straight up" or "straight down".

+Quote Post
FordPrefect
post Jun 15 2006, 09:43 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Jun 14 2006, 10:03 PM) *
There is an additional reason that making a Saturn map that includes the ring shadows is a bad idea: It makes more sense to simply render the shadows using a transparency map of the rings. This also (as previosuly noted) gives you far more flexibility.

And actually I'm working on a 9000x4500 pixel texture map of Saturn as I write this...

Thanks Bjorn for your feedback. The only reason I am trying to make a map including the ring shadows is a limitation within the Orbiter simulation. Until now it is unfortunately impossible to render the shadows through a trancparency map onto the planets "surface" in real time wink.gif

Your map you're working on sounds pretty interesting, can't wait to see the result!

Cheers

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:47 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.