Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
MLA data, about the limited altitude data
Ittiz
post Mar 7 2014, 09:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5271

I'm a bit disappointed with the limited altitude data from the MLA. The northern hemisphere only. As some of you may know I create artistic renditions of the planets based on the data. I heard somewhere (maybe on here) that that will fill out the southern hemisphere using the same method (deriving the elevation data from photographs) that was used on the polar regions of the moon. Anyone have any idea when/if that's going to happen? As it is I will only be able to make an image from over the north. Rather limiting if you ask me.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 7 2014, 09:45 PM
Post #2

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Fear not, Ittiz, you will get a very nice global DEM. I am also eager to have it for a future map I want to make.

The orbit couldn't be circular for thermal management reasons, and the periapsis had to be over a pole (lowest point over coolest area to reduce heat radiation from the surface) so it had to see one pole better than the other and MLA could only map one hemisphere. But global stereo imaging will give an excellent dataset - actually higher resolution that the MLA would achieve. Stereo imaging is great for small features but can miss broad regional variations, so MLA corrects for that problem in the north, and analysis of limb images (plus occultations) will do it (less well) in the south.

You might like to see this LPSC abstract:

http://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2014/pdf/2243.pdf

No word on date of release but there 's still work to do on it. But the stereo data will be MUCH better than MLA.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Ittiz
post Mar 7 2014, 10:15 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5271

Wow good to hear Phil, I'm glad someone is working on it. The data in that paper looks pretty good so far. Although usually I need it in a somewhat raw form. Usually I download the raw img file and load it into a program at 16bit gray scale. Can't wait till they release the data smile.gif

+Quote Post
4th rock from th...
post Mar 7 2014, 11:24 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 347

Good news!

Looking forward to update my Mercury topography ( http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6070 ) for a well known free space simulator.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Mar 8 2014, 07:01 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 4489

the tiny hdem_2.img at 2ppd is not much ,nor is the 64ppd
if it is anything like the LRO-WAC stereo data it will be something nice

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:00 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.