Post #466

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

... and check out LPOD!

Phil

http://lpod.wikispaces.com/June+10%2C+2010+-+KAGUYA+SPECIAL

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
climber
post Jun 11 2009, 06:15 AM
Post #467

Member No.: 682

A picture from Anglo-Australian Telescope: http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n0906/10kaguya/

Edit: picture's the same as LPOD Phil's link. You'll get only some comments

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 11 2009, 07:16 AM
Post #468

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (SpaceListener @ Jun 10 2009, 10:20 PM) *
scheduled for 20:30 CEST today. Still not yet a bang!

Which was 19:30 UK time, or 18:30 GMT...which was BEFORE I posted 'bang'.

+Quote Post
SpaceListener
post Jun 11 2009, 02:14 PM
Post #469

Member No.: 3299

QUOTE (djellison @ Jun 11 2009, 01:16 AM) *
Which was 19:30 UK time, or 18:30 GMT...which was BEFORE I posted 'bang'.

Ops!, I misunderstood. CST (Central Standard Time -North America) -5 GMT is different than CEST +1 GMT)! Good point! wink.gif

On the other way, the impact localization was fast and it showed up that the impact zone might be on the crest of a crater. If it is true, the impact force would be strong and if it has grazed on the surface, the impact force wouldn't be lower. The IPOD pictures of Kaguya's impact had showed a very clear flash.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 11 2009, 06:59 PM
Post #470

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Here's an updated map of spacecraft locations, including Kaguya and an updated location for Chandrayaan 1's MIP.

Phil

Attached Image

(EDIT: Thanks to Timo Keski-Petaja for pointing out I erroneously labelled Mare Nectaris as Mare Nubium. I will correct and re-post.)

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
charborob
post Jun 11 2009, 07:53 PM
Post #471

Member No.: 3908

Many new low-altitude images of the lunar surface:
http://wms.selene.jaxa.jp/selene_viewer/index_j.html

+Quote Post
FordPrefect
post Jun 14 2009, 07:53 PM
Post #472

Member No.: 738

Just a remark: On the day after the impact, it was stated on the mission's homepage that the scientific data will be released to the public on 1st of November this year. It was mentioned right after the call for any observer who was able to capture the impact to send in the imagery for being put up on the website soon. For the life of me, I seem unable to dig out that particular article again. Anyways, I marked November 1st on my calendar. I can't wait to play around with the global elevation data...

+Quote Post
charborob
post Jun 14 2009, 09:15 PM
Post #473

Wait till Google get their hands on the data. Then we'll see "Moon" added to Google Earth. I can't wait for that!

+Quote Post
charborob
post Jun 19 2009, 01:26 PM
Post #474

Get a look at some of the last images taken by the HDTV on Kaguya! Very low altitude oblique views. Fantastic!
http://wms.selene.jaxa.jp/selene_viewer/jp...v/hdtv_077.html
Click on the images for full-size views. Click on the blue horizontal bar for a slide show.

Also some images by the TC:
http://wms.selene.jaxa.jp/selene_viewer/jp.../tc/tc_036.html

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jun 19 2009, 01:42 PM
Post #475

Member No.: 523

Are those the last observations before impact? The observation date and filenames seem to suggest so. If so, these could be near-realtime downlinks from the HDTV camera on the way to the ground.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpaceListener
post Jun 19 2009, 02:34 PM
Post #476

Indeed, I think that the previous post about the HDTV pictures corresponds to the last impact thru the lowering angle of ilumination inclination from the first to the last picture and the impact was at dark side of moon.

+Quote Post
John Moore
post Jun 20 2009, 12:28 PM
Post #477

Member No.: 4792

Nice craft views indeed, but what about Earth views in the next few days?

The general area in which Kaguya went down will soon be coming into (illuminated) view from our own perspective on Earth -- I wonder will we see any signs of an impact crater? As it was a very low oblique impact, ejecta patterns like we see with Messier A or Proclus...etc., may have formed. This is being very optimistic, I know, however, one never knows what might turn up -- perhaps, one of the powerful space-scopes will have a look, or, LRO might set the area down as a future target?

The illumination of the general area is expected to occur around the 23 June (New Moon on 22 June ~ 19.35) with just a sliver of a waxing crescent Moon coming through. The best time to observe would be after sunset, but then one only has an hour or so to observe anything, however, the following days 24, 25, 26 June might suit better before too much illunimation makes it impossible to detect anything at all.

John
www.moonposter.ie

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 20 2009, 10:16 PM
Post #478

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (John Moore @ Jun 20 2009, 01:28 PM) *
The general area in which Kaguya went down will soon be coming into (illuminated) view from our own perspective on Earth -- I wonder will we see any signs of an impact crater?

Not a chance. Hubble, for example, has a resolution on the moon of about 60m/pixel. A Kaguya like impact would make a crater perhaps half the size, with an ejecta perhaps of one pixel, maybe two. Certainly indistinguishable from normal Lunar gardening without a similar 'before' image to compare it to.

LRO will go hunting for it - I'm sure.

+Quote Post
SpaceListener
post Jun 21 2009, 01:13 AM
Post #479

After interpreting the infrared pictures of Kaguya's impact, it showed a more or less circle shape. Thus I seemed that Kaguya impacted frontally against a wall of a crater. If the picture shows a elongated shape or eclipse, I might deduct that Kaguya was landing and rotating until it stops after a long line.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jun 21 2009, 01:31 AM
Post #480

Member No.: 15

Also, please remember that cratering studies have proven that unless an impactor hits at an *extremely* shallow angle (like less than a degree or two), it still leaves a circular crater. Ejecta can be asymmetric, but the crater itself is almost always round. I know it's counter-intuitive, but it's a fact...

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post

34 Pages V  « < 30 31 32 33 34 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:21 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.