Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fredk
post Sep 27 2007, 02:08 AM
Post #137

Group: Members
Member No.: 152

QUOTE (dburt @ Sep 26 2007, 08:35 PM) *
Probably not directly comparable, because they seem to have formed in an eddy next to the cliff, but certainly not artifacts of the viewing angle (which was from the side, because unlike the Pancam, I can bend down).
As far as viewing angle, surely that was addressed at Overgaard with the stereo and MI imagery? And I mean quantitatively, not just "to my eyes that looks like..." or whatever.

I've heard little about the "festoons" since we were at Erebus - I recall that the claims were fairly strong at the time that these were ripples due to running water. Does anyone know if the proponents are as strong in their convictions today? I know there's still keen interest to find more such features, perhaps even by returning to Erebus or some such heavily eroded crater after Victoria.

+Quote Post
dburt
post Sep 27 2007, 04:13 AM
Post #138

Member No.: 1555

Fredk - As far as I know, the viewing angle was (and must always be) downwards for the Pancam, as for the MI if the camera is arranged perpendicular to a sloping surface that intersects bedding at an angle (in order to maintain focus across the image plane). The only exception would be if it were parked next to a vertical cliff. What the stereo and MI imagery were claimed to show, and what they seemed to show to this admittedly biased geologist (even on CR's anaglyph) disagreed, obviously. CR and I have "agreed to disagree" on this, and let's leave it at that - I don't want this discussion of exciting new Victoria observations to be diverted.

I will point out (soapbox alert!), however, that saying festoon proponents are "strong in their convictions" makes festoonology sound somewhat more like religion than science. As a scientist, I have no convictions (not even criminal ones smile.gif ). I only make testable hypotheses or tentative interpretations. I'm waiting for Oppy to show us features that look somewhat more like real current ripples, such as those I showed from the Grand Canyon. Here's a larger version of that photo, and I apologize for the quality (it was taken in full shade by this relatively inexperienced - a that time - photographer using an earlier generation digicam with a dirty - river splash - lens). The climbing and trough-cross-bedded nature of the ripples are very clearly visible, especially in the central shaded area, as is the fact that the current was moving from the right to the left (or coming from downstream, indicating a near-shore counter-current eddy). Near-shore eddies with reverse current flow are very common along the Colorado River, and the river boatmen utilize them to make easier landings possible.
Attached Image

If Oppy can show me something like that in Victoria, even I might become a believer in current flow (keeping in mind that surge currents apparently can produce similar features smile.gif ). In the meantime, might we at least agree that "festoons" are a rather slender thread on which to be hanging the entire interpretation of Meridiani surface water flow, especially if they aren't even unique to water flow?

-- HDP Don

+Quote Post
dilo
post Sep 27 2007, 03:21 PM
Post #139

Member No.: 150

A couple of projections from Sol1298 panorama (right NavCam, hand colorization):
vertical:
Attached Image

pseudo-polar:
Attached Image

In the latter, note the deep rover tracks on DB dunes, at 11 o'clock...

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
lyford
post Sep 27 2007, 05:19 PM
Post #140

Member No.: 124

mmmmm.... Victoria doughnut! smile.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
dburt
post Sep 28 2007, 12:41 AM
Post #141

Member No.: 1555

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Sep 26 2007, 03:31 AM) *
Oppy moved again tosol (1305). Here is what is in front of us at the new site...
The right side of this image is the same patch of ground as at the top-left of my sol 1302 image, near where CR was pointing to interesting stuff. smile.gif

Great panorama, as usual. What I couldn't help noticing in that image was the really ragged (toothed, ripped, torn, ashy-looking, whatever) edges to the right-side bed exposures, as mentioned in my previous reply to CR. Those looked very familiar. For example, compare this Sol 1305 raw image from Oppy:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...00P2374L7M1.JPG
with this Sol 773 image from Spirit, when it was first on top of Home Plate and about to leave:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...DAP2456L6M1.JPG
Rocks with similarly ragged bedding edges were imaged by Spirit on its way back to Home Plate from Low Hill beginning about 9 months later, and are also common in earlier Oppy images. Do these excessively ragged edges simply represent something unique about wind erosion on Mars, or might there might be another explanation? smile.gif Obviously, I think there might be, but with a sample size of only 2 sites, it's really difficult to generalize.

-- HDP Don

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Sep 29 2007, 03:20 AM
Post #142

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

More sols, more data, so longer movie.

Update: Here's a higher resolution QuickTime version.

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post Sep 30 2007, 02:09 PM
Post #143

Member No.: 353

The view looking to the South on Sol 1294.

Taken with the R1 Pancam.

jvandriel

Attached Image

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post Sep 30 2007, 02:11 PM
Post #144

and the view looking to the North on Sol 1294.

Taken with the R1 Pancam.

jvandriel

Attached Image

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post Sep 30 2007, 04:46 PM
Post #145

Here is the first real movie of the dive of Opportunity into Victoria Crater.

Seen through the eye of the Front Hazcam on Sol 1291.

jvandriel

Attached Image

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post Sep 30 2007, 04:48 PM
Post #146

and here seen through the eye of the Rear Hazcam on Sol 1291.

jvandriel

Attached Image

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Oct 2 2007, 01:19 PM
Post #147

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

Wow. Take a look at the latest MI images. Are those vugs?

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Oct 2 2007, 01:32 PM
Post #148

Guests

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Oct 2 2007, 02:19 PM) *
Wow. Take a look at the latest MI images. Are those vugs?

Thats what they look like........... or bird footprints huh.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 2 2007, 01:41 PM
Post #149

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

They do look quite vuggy don't they. Vuggy's a real word, right?

Doug

+Quote Post
SkyeLab
post Oct 2 2007, 02:26 PM
Post #150

Member No.: 101

Vuggy does appear to be a real word:

Well at least in Texas.... wink.gif

From here:

"Carbonate Classification by Vuggy Pore Space"

http://www.beg.utexas.edu/indassoc/rcrl/rc...ublic/vps01.htm

--------------------
"There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary code, and those who don't."

+Quote Post

41 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:56 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.