IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Water and CO2 on Mars, intrerrelated phase change processes.
ngunn
post Sep 22 2010, 10:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 542

I think this will be of interest: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/...00922124546.htm
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
schaffman
post Sep 23 2010, 10:47 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 5246

Some interesting dynamics going on here. If some of the CO2 ice gets temporarily covered each season by a thin layer of water ice, you might expect some areas (shaded areas in north-facing troughs?) to retain CO2 ice throughout the summer and become permanently incorporated into the North Pole Layered Deposits (NPLD). This suggests that the NPLD might contain significant amounts of CO2 ice, but I don't think the spectroscopic evidence indicates this (?). Hmm.
Tom

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Sep 23 2010, 11:40 AM
Post #3

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

The thin layer of ice might spectroscopically mask the CO2. (Like as a paint covering).

I wonder if something that penetrates deeper might notice a change, like a RADAR experiment that could measure dielectric constant. (At 0 C, dielectric constant of H2O = 88, CO2 = 1.6. [reference list here])

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
schaffman
post Sep 23 2010, 12:37 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Juramike @ Sep 23 2010, 07:40 AM) *
The thin layer of ice might spectroscopically mask the CO2. (Like as a paint covering).

I bet it does. If there's a lot of CO2 squestered in the caps, what are the implications for past climate conditions? I wonder if there's enough there to increase the average surface pressure significantly if released. I suspect not...but...
Tom

+Quote Post
schaffman
post Sep 23 2010, 12:48 PM
Post #5

Update: I just looked at Shane Byrne's review article in Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Science (2009). He says (p. 541) that "buried CO2 ice and CO2 clathrate hydrate have been eliminated as important components [of the NPLD] on the basis of thermal and mechanical strength arguments. He cites paper by Mellon (1996) and Nye et. a, (2000).

+Quote Post
Den
post Oct 20 2010, 12:26 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 5039

Subsurface temperatures quickly approach year-average temps: at ~20 meters, temperature barely changes. I think even at Mars poles year-average temperature is above CO2 sublimation point.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:45 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.