Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Norm Hartnett
post Jun 8 2010, 04:41 PM
Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 1354

QUOTE (BrianJ @ Jun 8 2010, 07:21 AM) *
Another fascinating mission from JAXA :-) Hope it all goes well.

Can anyone tell me if it is planned to put IKAROS into orbit around Venus? Is it possible?
Or will there be a flyby?

Is there any information available about how much force/acceleration the sail experiences due to solar wind and radiation pressure?

Thanks and regards,
Brian

Brian, the only info I've found is from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IKAROS which states "IKAROS will unfurl its sail several weeks after launch, then will spend six months traveling to Venus, and then will begin a three-year journey to the far side of the Sun." Their source was an article in the The Guardian Weekly http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/may/1...ros-japan-venus.

The Guardian article contains several errors so I'm not sure of its validity.

+Quote Post
punkboi
post Jun 8 2010, 06:10 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 535

Believe it or not, the Guardian is correct. smile.gif

IKAROS will deploy a small free-floating camera once its solar sail completely deploys (which hopefully already happened) to photograph the spacecraft in all her diamond-shaped (or square-shaped, depending on your POV) beauty... I gotta check online to see if it has a second camera onboard that it could deploy once it reaches Venus.

To have a wide shot of IKAROS in deep space, with Venus in the background would be one of the coolest space images, ever.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 8 2010, 06:32 PM
Post #19

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Lou said in an update from Japan that IKAROS does have two deployable cameras. I assumed both would be used right away to observe the sail after deployment. How close will IKAROS actually get to Venus? Any camera with a wide enough FOV to take in the deployed sail would probably only see Venus as a pretty small (and unbearably bright) light source, right?

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jun 8 2010, 06:46 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 523

Yup, particularly the unbearably bright part. Remember the automatic exposure control on LCROSS' live camera and the Moon isn't even that bright.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Norm Hartnett
post Jun 8 2010, 07:04 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jun 8 2010, 10:32 AM) *
Lou said in an update from Japan that IKAROS does have two deployable cameras. I assumed both would be used right away to observe the sail after deployment. How close will IKAROS actually get to Venus? <snip>

I suspect that it will depend on how steerable the craft turns out to be. It is an incredibly sexy space craft, using the solar sail for both power generation via the integrated thin film solar cells and for steering via integrated LCD panels to produce variable light pressure.

Edit; that's right, I saw the comment about IKAEOS' future in Lou's post and couldn't remember the link.

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Jun 8 2010, 07:53 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 4270

Not sure how to interpret it, but at the IKAROS twitter (translated with Google translator), IKAROS reports having been too tired to concentrate, and will try again tomorrow.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 8 2010, 08:16 PM
Post #23

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I saw that, but thought it just meant that it was the end of a long day of work. IKAROS only communicates through Usuda, so there's a window of time very late in the day Japan time when they do all their work. I interpreted that just as IKAROS signing off for the night.

That being said, I spoke with Lou Friedman on the phone a couple of hours ago and he said he wasn't sure they really commanded the final stage of deployment last night. I won't be really confident it happened until I see pictures.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
punkboi
post Jun 9 2010, 05:38 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 535

Second stage sail deployment is scheduled to take place tomorrow...while IKAROS completed the full first stage deployment today

http://www.isas.jaxa.jp/home/IKAROS-blog/

--------------------

+Quote Post
gilster
post Jun 9 2010, 01:30 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 443

QUOTE (punkboi @ Jun 9 2010, 12:38 AM) *
Second stage sail deployment is scheduled to take place tomorrow...while IKAROS completed the full first stage deployment today

http://www.isas.jaxa.jp/home/IKAROS-blog/

It looks like full deployment of the boom structure was completed (i.e., first stage deployment), but from what I'm seeing on the IKAROS blog, the secondary deployment (the sail itself) should be ongoing. The most recent photo on the blog appears to show sail material.

+Quote Post
Norm Hartnett
post Jun 9 2010, 01:31 PM
Post #26

Hum, the latest (6/9 @ 17:33) post on the blog indicates a fouled tether. (I think)

+Quote Post
gilster
post Jun 9 2010, 02:00 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 443

QUOTE (Norm Hartnett @ Jun 9 2010, 08:31 AM) *
Hum, the latest (6/9 @ 17:33) post on the blog indicates a fouled tether. (I think)

I hope you're wrong, but that photo looks troubling to me, too.

+Quote Post
marsbug
post Jun 9 2010, 02:46 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 1563

The planetary society blog has a nicer (and I hope correct) interpretation.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Norm Hartnett
post Jun 9 2010, 03:12 PM
Post #29

QUOTE (marsbug @ Jun 9 2010, 06:46 AM) *
The planetary society blog has a nicer (and I hope correct) interpretation.

Much nicer, my Google translation came out;

2. Camera images after the expansion of primary
The image was deployed after the primary operation was conducted yesterday.
Strong sunlight, it looks a tether connecting the two overlap and sail body, the body close to the incident light in the shadows for the weak, the tether can see that reflected in the surface membrane and harness .

Hopefully elakdawalla's interpretation is correct. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Jun 9 2010, 04:15 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 4270

A google translation of the most recent IKAROS blog post.

The operation ended today as planned. We will report tomorrow to get further data, I would like once again after 11 days.
However, it is usual state of good IKAROS

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:01 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.