49 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
New Horizons Pluto System Final Approach, 28 Jun-13 Jul 15
MarsInMyLifetime
post Jul 3 2015, 02:37 PM
Post #136

Group: Members
Member No.: 6108

The "structure" does comprise some possible Morse code characters, depending how you parse the sequence:
_... = B
..._ = V (or the opening notes of Beethoven's fifth symphony)
... _ = ST (or TS walked the opposite direction)

Is there a message here?

More seriously, though, the pattern could indicate deposits sorted by mascons or by standing waves in a magnetosphere.

--------------------
--
Don
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Jul 3 2015, 02:37 PM
Post #137

Member No.: 5458

QUOTE (Nafnlaus @ Jul 3 2015, 07:57 AM) *
Always scale up before alignment.

During the rotation of image 4 and image 5, to ensure the least amount of blurring from the process, I worked with the files at 16384x16384. Everything else is extremely sensitive to this alignment. Got out pen, paper and calculator, got as close as I could but the process still resulted in a small amount of blurring and it still may have been off by several ten thousandths of a degree which can matter in the final product.

Here's what everything looked like after alignment, downscaling and a giant gamma boost:
Attached Image

----------
Edit
----------
Apparently the error wasn't in the initial alignment, it was in my final stack of Charon. Normally I do a better error scan of my stacks but this slipped by this time.

Here is a better result of Charon, round again, thankfully.
Attached Image

Typically I process everything twice with two rather different methods, for a second reference. Did not do that this time.g

--------------------

+Quote Post
alk3997
post Jul 3 2015, 03:10 PM
Post #138

Member No.: 7390

For those outside of the U.S. who may not be aware of this, July 4th is Independence Day in the U.S. Since the 4th falls on a Saturday this year, the U.S. federal holiday is today, July 3rd.

So, I don't know if we are going to see any more SOC updates before Sunday.

Andy

+Quote Post
Guest_Steve5304_*
post Jul 3 2015, 03:35 PM
Post #139

Guests

QUOTE (ZLD @ Jul 3 2015, 02:37 PM) *
Here is a better result of Charon, round again, thankfully.

Charon kinda looking like miranda at that angle although probably still artifacting

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Jul 3 2015, 03:39 PM
Post #140

Probably some artifacting yes but hopefully just from noise presence. For the version I just posted, I ran through about 6 different processing methods, going all the back to the beginning for each and got nearly exact results each time, with varying degrees of clarity. Even the distorted version has many similar features, although distorted of course. I like to be thorough.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Julius
post Jul 3 2015, 04:42 PM
Post #141

Member No.: 741

I am still puzzled by the nature of the bright patch just over the equator. Could it represent different ice compostion from the polar region or could it be a cryovolcano?

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 3 2015, 05:36 PM
Post #142

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Nobody has the vaguest idea what any of these albedo variations are caused by yet, Julius. Hopefully we'll know quite soon. smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Guest_Steve5304_*
post Jul 3 2015, 06:27 PM
Post #143

Guests

Could be just higher/lower terrain like the moon exposing different type of.rock

+Quote Post
alk3997
post Jul 3 2015, 07:15 PM
Post #144

Member No.: 7390

I just took a look at the color movie of a Charon orbit of Pluto. It seems the dark band on Pluto is ahead of Charon and the train track terrain is behind Charon. That's awfully coincidental if there isn't a cause and effect between Charon and Pluto.

http://www.nasa.gov/nh/pluto-charon-surfaces-in-color

It will be interesting if the railroad ties' height falls off in inverse square-law integers. In other words, I'm starting to wonder if the dark band and the train tracks aren't a result of tidal interactions with Charon.

Andy

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Jul 3 2015, 07:27 PM
Post #145

I don't know of a mechanism but possibly the dark band has moved over time and left remnants. To me, mostly parallel lines, not in the direction of motion, says something magnetic or gravitational is going on.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jul 3 2015, 07:38 PM
Post #146

Member No.: 5221

The spacecraft has no magnetometer, so it could only detect a field indirectly (through the particle detectors, etc), correct?

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 3 2015, 08:10 PM
Post #147

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Emily has an updated version of her guide to near-encounter activities.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Aldebaran
post Jul 3 2015, 08:37 PM
Post #148

Member No.: 90

It's an indication of how low the solar illumination is out there, but at 12 million kilometres separation, Pluto still only has an apparent magnitude of about 1.5, which is similar to that of Castor (Alpha Geminorum) as we see it from Earth, or the minimum magnitude of Saturn.

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post Jul 3 2015, 09:13 PM
Post #149

Member No.: 7310

A second New Horizons release today, including a deconvolved 1 July image and showing how the the LORRI images were coloured.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Jul 3 2015, 09:15 PM
Post #150

Member No.: 3995

QUOTE (Habukaz @ Jul 3 2015, 04:13 PM) *
A second New Horizon's release today, including a deconvolved 1 July image and showing how the the LORRI images were coloured.

Goodness. I can't wait to see what those albedo terraces on Pluto are all about.

+Quote Post

49 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:07 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.