IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Chang'e 3 prelaunch through lunar orbit insertion, Lander instruments, capability, development, testing, launch
Explorer1
post Dec 1 2013, 06:00 PM
Post #106

Group: Members
Member No.: 5221

The Pacific!
Even spinning the final stage to look back at Earth; they sure know how to put on a show! Look at that curvature!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kenny
post Dec 1 2013, 06:06 PM
Post #107

Member No.: 759

They are saying it is now in an Earth-Moon transfer orbit with an apogee of 360,000 km, so Chang'e 3 is successfully en route to the Moon. Congratulations!

Wonderful colour video of the probe separating, manoeuvring with attitude control jets, sunrise over the Pacific, etc.

+Quote Post
craigmcg
post Dec 1 2013, 07:20 PM
Post #108

Member No.: 336

The best coverage I've seen a a launch. Well done!

+Quote Post
climber
post Dec 1 2013, 07:24 PM
Post #109

Member No.: 682

I segond that!

--------------------

+Quote Post
dilo
post Dec 1 2013, 09:10 PM
Post #110

Member No.: 150

[Damn, I missed all! Could someone give me a replay link? Thanks!

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
Thorsten Denk
post Dec 1 2013, 09:25 PM
Post #111

Member No.: 6632

Look here:
CNTV (english)

Thorsten

+Quote Post
dilo
post Dec 2 2013, 05:23 AM
Post #112

Member No.: 150

Thanks Denk! Separation is really spectacular, even though I suspect that, initially, the glare is due to a solar reflection and not to the probe thrusters! unsure.gif
There is also a shorter video with many dramatic views of liftoff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctTBRWMh3yw

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
kenny
post Dec 2 2013, 09:52 AM
Post #113

They have reported that the landing legs, which were tucked under the spacecraft for launch, have been deployed. The four gold colored footpads can be seen
in the section of the movie showing the separation of the spacecraft from the final stage of the launcher. Also, the solar panels are open. Chinese TV have stated
it will land "in 2 weeks".

The last time we saw a new location on the lunar surface from ground level was Jan 1973, with Luna 21 and the Lunokhod 2 rover. So here's hoping!

+Quote Post
kenny
post Dec 2 2013, 10:49 AM
Post #114

QUOTE (dilo @ Dec 2 2013, 05:23 AM) *
Separation is really spectacular, even though I suspect that, initially, the glare is due to a solar reflection and not to the probe thrusters! unsure.gif

I don't think that intense brightness is solar flare. The craft apparently has 8 x 150N thrusters in addition to the small attitude control thrusters of 10N each, plus
the main descent engine.

" These eight 150N thrusters are likely used for smaller Trajectory Correction Manoeuvres during the Earth-Moon transfer and small orbital adjustments (&
possibly during LOI and landing). "

Chang'e 3 technical description

I think the flare is us seeing those intermediate thrusters ensuring adequate separation of the probe from the rocket stage.

+Quote Post
dshaffer
post Dec 2 2013, 12:58 PM
Post #115

Member No.: 29

QUOTE (kenny @ Dec 2 2013, 05:49 AM) *
I don't think that intense brightness is solar flare. The craft apparently has 8 x 150N thrusters in addition to the small attitude control thrusters of 10N each, plus
the main descent engine.

" These eight 150N thrusters are likely used for smaller Trajectory Correction Manoeuvres during the Earth-Moon transfer and small orbital adjustments (&
possibly during LOI and landing). "

Chang'e 3 technical description

I think the flare is us seeing those intermediate thrusters ensuring adequate separation of the probe from the rocket stage.

I believe the Lander was "yawing", so the flaring was caused by reflection off the side (shiny surfaces).
You can tell by the thruster firings just before, that indicate a change in attitude.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 2 2013, 02:42 PM
Post #116

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (kenny @ Dec 2 2013, 02:49 AM) *

No - the way the flare appeared - from the one, sunlit side of the spacecraft as both spacecraft and third stage entered into sunrise - it was lens-flare of a specular reflecting on gold MLI.

+Quote Post
kenny
post Dec 2 2013, 03:07 PM
Post #117

Happy to stand corrected on the flaring....

Latest announcement says Chang'e 3 performed its first course correction manoeuvre about 7 hours ago (3:50pm Beijing time),
when it was 138,000 km from Earth. It is well on its way, and seems to be functioning properly.

+Quote Post
charborob
post Dec 3 2013, 06:30 PM
Post #118

Member No.: 3908

Spaceflight 101 describes Chang-e 3's mission and instruments. See under "Lander cameras" for a description of the cameras installed on the lander. Here is the pertinent information:

-------------
"In addition to its three Pancams, the lander is equipped with a single Descent Camera that was tested on the Chang’e 2 spacecraft. The Micro-CMOS camera provides images of 1,280 by 1,024 pixels during the descent to the lunar surface. Details such as exposure times and frame rate have not been given.
The nadir-facing camera is expected to be active when the lander is hovering 100 meters above the surface of the Moon, taking images of the landing site to help rover mission planners to select drive routes later in the mission. The camera is likely taking images all the way down to the surface as the lander makes its constant low velocity descent to an altitude of 4 meters for engine shutdown.
Previous Chang’e missions also included a range of engineering cameras to obtain images and video of important activities of the spacecraft such as solar array deployment and main engine burns. Whether Chang’e 3 also includes such cameras is unknown."
------------

Looks like there is a "MARDI-like" camera on the lander.

I just hope China makes the photos public.

+Quote Post
Toma B
post Dec 5 2013, 06:31 PM
Post #119

Member No.: 384

Some news are coming in:

Chinese lunar probe Chang'e-3 will not perform a planned third trimming of its trajectory along the earth-moon transfer orbit.
The probe's carrier, an enhanced Long March-3B rocket, entered the orbit with comparatively high precision, and the first two orbital trimmings were highly exact, which resulted in the probe being capable of meeting the demands of near-moon deceleration and follow-up orbital control," said a statement released Thursday by the administration.
Noting good adaptability in the flying control plan for Chang'e-3, the statement added that "it has been decided that a third orbital trimming is not necessary."
Chang'e-3 has been in normal operation for about 88 hours as of 6 p.m. Thursday, with a distance travelled of nearly 350,000 kilometers.

Almost there....... smile.gif

--------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
Jules H. Poincare

My "Astrophotos" gallery on flickr...

+Quote Post
kenny
post Dec 6 2013, 10:46 AM
Post #120

Chang'e 3 has completed its lunar orbit insertion, and will stay in lunar orbit for the next 9 days prior to descent and landing.
It is in its planned polar orbit at an altitude of 100 kilometers.

Landing attempt due on December 14.

Chang'e 3 update

Another big milestone in a very smooth mission so far....

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:27 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.