2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Help! Astronomy Show From The 80's?, Looking for show Title
dvandorn
post Dec 7 2005, 06:29 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

I've been watching the updated series and the original narration is entirely intact. There are, indeed, new computer-generated graphics, but more impressively, there are numerous images from the Voyagers, Galileo and Cassini that had not been acquired yet at the time Cosmos was originally produced.

For example, at one point Sagan is speaking of the outer planets, and his narration only discusses Jupiter and Saturn. But the images went on to show Voyager 2 and HST images of Uranus and Neptune, including the famous Voyager 2 Neptune rotation movie.

While there aren't any Saturn images from Cassini in the updated series, they do use Cassini's Jupiter encounter movies.

Oh, and there are quite a few Pathfinder and MER images of Mars in the appropriate segments.

The producers did a fine job of merging the new imagery into the existing narration.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Messenger
post Dec 8 2005, 04:59 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 460

QUOTE (John M. Dollan @ Dec 7 2005, 08:35 AM)
That's a relief to hear.  Then I might just go ahead and order the DVD's now.  I remember growing up with his series, and I've even managed to lay my hands on the soundtrack (or a partial, perhaps).  Unfortunately, the version I recorded off of TV several years ago has finally worn out, the tapes having broken and frayed from so much usage.

...John...

I've got the CD's - but they were a gift before Tempel I, so they might have additional updates. They haven't changed them (Carl's attire is dated) - only added comments at the beginning of the -rare- episodes where significant changes in the science have occurred.

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Dec 10 2005, 01:07 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 114

Thanks for the try guys.

My next try will be to email the network to ask them. See if that works. smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 07:01 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.