Spirit - Sol2000, Congratulations to the MER Teams
djellison
post Aug 18 2009, 10:09 PM
Post #16

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Aug 18 2009, 10:06 PM) *
Ah but did the rover actually see it? All locked up within its aeroshell?

Voltages on a solar array - just as she 'sees' them now. Back then a cruise stage solar array, now a rover solar array - but it would have been 'sensed' just the same.

I was simply making a point - if Brian wants to play the pedantic party pooper - then there will ALWAYS be someone to take it one step further, so it's best not to start playing that game.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Reed
post Aug 19 2009, 12:12 AM
Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 4114

Congratulations to the MER team. Here's to the next 2000 wheel.gif

This post from Scott Maxwell caught my eye a while back http://marsandme.blogspot.com/2009/07/spirit-sol-200.html
Spirit Sol 200
Sol 200. Sol two hundred. Sol TWO HUNDRED.

Nope, I still can't believe it.

Neither, I think, can John Wright. "We're on sol 200," he remarks the moment I walk in the door.

laugh.gif You guys and gals really had no idea what you were in for, did you ?

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 19 2009, 04:28 AM
Post #18

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Big WOW & congrats to Stu & Astro0 for their wonderful collaboration featured in the very House of the Holy itself...still can't believe you guys let me hang out here!

2000 sols...it's just unreal to think about it. Here's a gee-whiz in true NASA tradition for comparison: US children born on the day she landed will be entering kindergarten next month, or even first grade depending on local qualification requirements.

With any luck some of those same children will be watching her still when they enter high school.

MER team- what can any of us really say? You've exhausted all superlatives. My God, how we the space-aware public admire your collective dedication, ingenuity, and accomplishments!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Aug 19 2009, 05:05 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 615

We got a mention on MSNBC which notes Stu's poem plus the logos and posters....smile.gif
http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/200...18/2034421.aspx
Nice one Mr Boyle!

+Quote Post
Fran Ontanaya
post Aug 19 2009, 07:56 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 4350

I hope everything was made rust-proof. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
HughFromAlice
post Aug 19 2009, 10:36 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 3989

Once we get unbogged, may the winds of Mars blow fair and keep her solar sails clean so that we can all celebrate Sol 4000.

I know that it's been said before but it bears repeating again and again - THANKS you guys in the Rover team, especially Steve Squyres and Jim Bell, for having the guts and foresight to allow us real time access. You're not just leaders in space! NASA bosses, please note that we're voting for them as one of your GREAT assets!!

When I think of time - especially deep space time or v personal time - I think of this - one of the greatest (but short...under 4 mins) pieces of music produced by European culture in the last couple of hundred years (by one of Ireland's best composers.... if not the best).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rm9c30ZRro

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Aug 19 2009, 01:43 PM
Post #22

It's Sol 2001 - time for a new Space Odyssey.

Enjoy this special presentation...
Attached File  2001.wmv ( 712.14K ) Number of downloads: 689

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself wink.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Aug 20 2009, 05:11 AM
Post #23

Someone asked me about getting a copy of the background I used for the 2001 film with the Monolith.
Thought I'd share it smile.gif
Attached Image

...and to ALL the conspiracy and martian lurkers out there... "it's NOT REAL!" wacko.gif

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Aug 20 2009, 05:22 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 15

"My God... it's full of wheel lube!"

smile.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Stu
post Aug 20 2009, 01:50 PM
Post #25

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

What did Homeplate look like long, long ago? My old mate Kees Veenenbos, artist extraordinairs, has produced two beautiul images..

http://www.space4case.com/mmw/pages/wordt-...s-homeplate.php

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Aug 20 2009, 03:28 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 98

Those are very cool. I've been much wondering lately what it might have looked like.

+Quote Post
climber
post Aug 20 2009, 08:09 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 682

Thanks Stu for the link and thanks also for your beautifull poem.
Regarding old Homeplate, it's specialy emotional for me since I visisted Kilauea volcano on Hawaii big Island... just last week (I'm still in Hawaii (Kauaii) BTW smile.gif ) and that fumeroles are just what I saw including the smell, the heat, and eveything.
2000 thanks Stu, I realise I was walking near HP last week...

--------------------

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Aug 21 2009, 06:22 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 116

I have been wanting to add a comment to this thread, but I really couldn't come up with better words than others before me have already used to congratulate the rover teams on this incredulous milestone. This really has been one heck of a ride. I finally thought of another angle to celebrate which hasn't entered the conversation so far.

I avidly followed the Pathfinder mission, and was surprised by the nearly real time data and software NASA provided for space exploration enthusiasts to see things as the rover and lander saw them.

When I learned of the Mars Rover missions, and that the rovers were designed to operate as robotic geologists on an alien planet, I was hooked. I watched the triumphant landings of both rovers on live NASA TV and saw the images they were returning. It became clear that these would be two amazing explorers. I wanted to find others who also appreciated the accomplishments of these wonderful devices, with whom I could share the experience and also talk to about the visible discoveries. I eventually found other, like-minded individuals here.

So, to all of you who have enjoyed discussing the discoveries of Spirit and Opportunity over the years in this forum, thanks. You are the people I was looking for.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Aug 21 2009, 04:18 PM
Post #29

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Astro0 @ Aug 20 2009, 06:11 AM) *
the background I used for the 2001 film with the Monolith.

There is something deliciously spooky about that image! Can't wait to show it in my talks! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MERovingian
post Aug 23 2009, 02:33 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 1602

I remember January 2004, back when Spirit suddenly stopped in its tracks, upon its 18th sol only. At the time the rovers were expected to last 90 sols and drive for 600 meters only, so it fell like such a run against the clock waiting for Spirit to resume driving again, time was flying!
Of course, the Columbia hills were science fiction only, I was wondering if that little rover would ever make it to Bonneville crater... and 2000 sols... that was BEYOND science fiction!!

I too would like to congratulate all the rovers teams for that amazing journey on the Red Planet. What an amazing 2000 sols it has been!

How do we say 'Thank you!' in Martian?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:56 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.