Reply to this topicStart new topic
Jupiter flagship selected
gpurcell
post Jun 17 2009, 01:03 PM
Post #91

Group: Members
Member No.: 127

Interesting language in the House markup:

The Committee is concerned that the budget profile for the Outer Planets flagship mission to Europa appears inconsistent with a 2020 launch. Therefore, NASA is directed within 60 days of enactment of this Act to provide a projected full lifetime budget outline for the Europa mission, to include anticipated contributions from foreign partners, and an alternative budget profile that would accelerate the launch to 2018.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mariner9
post Jun 17 2009, 05:08 PM
Post #92

Member No.: 528

Interesting wording. I wonder what is 'inconsistent' in the budget profile? My first guess would be that it is a mystery where NASA intends to find 3 billion dollars over the next decade to fund the the mission. But then congress requests an alternative timeline that is 2 years earlier... which seems counterintuitive if the problem is not enough money being available.

Still, I must say I like hearing launch dates that are two years earlier rather than two years later. Anyone remember just a year or two back when the projected launch period was 2016-2017? Then 2018, then 2020.

Yep.... I like hearing the date move earlier for a change.

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Jun 17 2009, 05:17 PM
Post #93

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

Seems to mean "Wow it's expensive.....but hey we are feeling lucky how much more expensive will it be 2 years sooner......

+Quote Post
vjkane
post Jun 17 2009, 05:57 PM
Post #94

Member No.: 351

My reading of the budget plan as presented by the President for the out years doesn't allow funding of the outer planets flagship. Either Mars has to lose most of its planned funding or the Discovery and New Frontiers programs have to be gutted. I hope my reading is wrong, but no one has challenged this reading on my blog (futureplanets.blogspot.com).

So, this request makes a lot of sense.

--------------------

+Quote Post
gpurcell
post Jun 17 2009, 06:51 PM
Post #95

Member No.: 127

What does a 2018 launch opportunity provide that a 2020 launch wouldn't? In other words, are there technical reasons beyond the obvious 2 year gap to prefer one versus the other?

+Quote Post
Mariner9
post Jun 17 2009, 10:52 PM
Post #96

Member No.: 528

Up until now the only reasons I have read for extending the launch to 2020 were funding and political.

If ESA approves the Ganymede orbiter mission then it would not be ready until 2020, so one of the reasons for delaying the Europa mission was to launch at the same time and get semi-coordinated science observations of the Jovian system.

The other reason for the delay was to allow more money to get the mission up to a roughly 3 billion dollar "sweet spot".

There may be technical issues favoring one launch date over the other, but I've never seen any mentioned.

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Mar 8 2010, 06:45 PM
Post #97

Member No.: 424

Bob Pappalardo has a good BBC interview on the Europa mission.

TTT

+Quote Post
Paolo
post May 7 2010, 05:13 AM
Post #98

Member No.: 1004

today on arXiv: Title: EJSM Origins White Document

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:58 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.