240 Pages V  « < 155 156 157 158 159 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Opportunity Route Map
fredk
post Sep 25 2008, 02:16 PM
Post #2341

Group: Members
Member No.: 152

And, we don't actually know that we're heading directly south from Vicky, so perhaps an intermediate step to reduce map size would be to just include Victoria (plus part of the anulus), if you weren't planning that already, Tesheiner...?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SpaceListener
post Sep 25 2008, 04:18 PM
Post #2342

Member No.: 3299

Besides, we must use an HiRsE images from MRO websites for a detailed map of the planned route. The posted map at this forum with 1m/pixel will be enough as an navigation guide. However it would not be enough for studying the best path to Endeavour route. For simplicity, it is ideal to have the link to that HiRsE image in this forum at every map posting of Opportunity travel.

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Sep 26 2008, 05:30 AM
Post #2343

Member No.: 116

That sounds like a workable suggestion to me. It should allow the frequently updated map to be significantly smaller than the current one, while providing a convenient link to a larger image hosted elsewhere. I think most of us following the mission progress will have little trouble relating the route map to the HiRise images, and it should be less work for Eduardo, too. smile.gif ...but as the person committed to making these maps, only he knows the best way to do it. wink.gif

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Sep 26 2008, 08:10 AM
Post #2344

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

Thanks for all suggestions! The outcome is that I decided to change the map scale to 1m/pix and start it covering an area of 1km x 2km which I think is a good balance between resolution and file size (and the capabilities of my computer too!). Besides, instead of switching the background from time to time I'll try to cover more and more ground as the rover adds kms to its odometer; due to that I'm planning to post the whole map only eventually and use smaller snapshots for the "daily business".

Currently I'm using TRA_000873_1780_RED as the background but it doesn't cover the ground 'till Mini-Endurance so it would be better to switch it by PSP_009141_1780_RED which is the one being used for terrain evaluation on the other thread. It's a pity that small data drop (?) near Mini-Endurance on the latter picture but I suppose we will have new HiRISE images from that area and further south in the near future.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Sep 26 2008, 10:17 AM
Post #2345

I'll work on the above during the weekend.
Meanwhile and sticking to the current map, here's an update after driving on sol 1661. I have no visual clue because the images didn't hit the exploratorium yet, but based on the mobility data from the rover, here's the latest position past Sputnik.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Sep 26 2008, 12:32 PM
Post #2346

Guests

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Sep 26 2008, 12:17 PM) *
past Sputnik.

blink.gif

smile.gif

+Quote Post
climber
post Sep 28 2008, 08:49 PM
Post #2347

Member No.: 682

Eduardo,

I was trying to find out where 153 m south will put Oppy and I realized that the actual scale is no longer easy in the horizontal position as well as, at 100 meters, it'll may be going to be a bit too short!
As usual, if you agree on this remark you'll may be consider it. BTW, I'm very excited thinking about the route maps to come.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Sep 29 2008, 08:03 AM
Post #2348

Well, at the end I'm keeping the map scale at 0.5m/pix.
After making a new version at 1m/pix I realized that most of the small features (e.g. small ripples, tiny craters and rocky patches) in the image I used as reference to plot or double-check a position were gone sad.gif so I''m sticking to the good-old resolution but covering 1km x 2km. The zoom window is hidden; there is no reason to keep it with these long drives.

Here's the map updated after the long drive during sol 1663. The position is preliminar (based only on the rover's mobility data) still to be double-checked once the navcam images hit the ground.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
climber
post Sep 29 2008, 09:47 AM
Post #2349

Member No.: 682

Very handy new grid Eduardo, thanks for this idea.

--------------------

+Quote Post
antoniseb
post Sep 29 2008, 06:27 PM
Post #2350

Member No.: 451

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Sep 29 2008, 02:03 AM) *
Here's the map updated after the long drive during sol 1663.

Oddly, the map calls 1663 1163.

+Quote Post
BrianL
post Sep 29 2008, 06:39 PM
Post #2351

Member No.: 721

Nothing odd about typos, it just requires correction

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Sep 29 2008, 07:57 PM
Post #2352

Thanks for the heads up. I'll correct it on the next update.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Oct 1 2008, 11:42 AM
Post #2353

Sol 1666; another long drive.
Attached Image

Edited: Corrected position at sol 1663 a few meters to the south based on the navcam pictures.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Oct 2 2008, 07:55 AM
Post #2354

From september's issue of the monthly MER Update at TPS:

“Our goal is to drive right past Cape Pelar (sic) to the north end of Cape Victory – Magellan would have called it Cabo Victoria -- and then imaging Cape Pelar (sic) which is the next promontory,” Squyres said. “That’s our objective for the next few sols. Then we’re going to the next promontory to the south and image across of the southern side of Cape Victory. And then, we’re going to hit the gas.”

This is how I understand it.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Oct 3 2008, 08:17 AM
Post #2355

Another update, after driving on sol 1668.
Attached Image

+Quote Post

240 Pages V  « < 155 156 157 158 159 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:48 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.