7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Q & A With Steve Squyres, Coming in September
DEChengst
post Aug 4 2005, 05:52 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 133

"Steve, I noticed that you're also on the Cassini Imaging Team. With both the MER and Cassini missions still being active, how do you devide your time between the two missions ?"

--------------------
PDP, VAX and Alpha fanatic ; HP-Compaq is the Satan! ; Let us pray daily while facing Maynard! ; Life starts at 150 km/h ;
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
David
post Aug 4 2005, 05:57 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (deglr6328 @ Aug 2 2005, 11:54 PM)
no. It was Benford who was most clueless.

So what actually happened? I can't figure out either from the review or the correction, and I can't seem to find any other useful commentary on this particular row. What did the original message say, and why did Porco's co-lead object to it?

[I have got to say that I would probably have objected to there being a message at all, as it seems to me to be a waste of space. The spacecraft itself is a far better (and more interesting) time capsule than anything they could put on a disk; and if our descendants a century or two from now come across it, they are unlikely to find anything on the disk particularly informative or interesting. And I don't think there's going to be anyone else who will get to Saturn before we humans do.]

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 4 2005, 07:24 PM
Post #18

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (DEChengst @ Aug 4 2005, 05:52 PM)
"Steve, I noticed that you're also on the Cassini Imaging Team. With both the MER and Cassini missions still being active, how do you devide your time between the two missions ?"

I was thinking of that whilst feeding the cat. That - and what SHOULD he and the rest of the team have been doing now if the rovers had quite 300 sols ago

Doug

+Quote Post
hendric
post Aug 5 2005, 03:50 AM
Post #19

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 27 2005, 11:46 AM)
Steve has kindly offered some of his time so that we can meet up and do a Q'n'A based on questions submitted by you lot.

1. Do you plan on having a public wake/roast/celebration of success once both rovers have completed their missions?
2. There have been lots of memorable pictures from Mars: Eagle Crater, Endurance, Bonneville, Methuselah, Larry's Lookout, etc. What's your favorite photo so far?
3. What's your favorite stereo image? Will Nasa produce a Viewmaster™®© series of MERs' Mars stereo photos?
4. What words of wisdom do you have for the MSL team?

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
deglr6328
post Aug 5 2005, 05:39 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 190

How about: "When you are looking at the latest images of a new and unseen part of Mars which was of course beamed back to us from the rovers you helped create, do you ever think of what your teacher Carl Sagan might say if he were there to ponder them with you? Do you feel that you have honoured his memory with your achievement?"

+Quote Post
Rxke
post Aug 5 2005, 01:53 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 41

deglr6328, that's a beautiful question...

I've tried to imagine that myself,

Steve, after-hours, one of the 'scenic' pics on the big screen, computers humming... Sitting there alone for a minute, before the rest of the crew comes in... Thinking of Carl....

Question: given that current scenarios talk about 500-ish days manned missions, and the rovers being able to function for that long... Has this changed the feelings re: feasibility of such stuff? The fact that the rovers keep functioning, does that mean we finally 'got it' how to do things there? That we're able to build stuff that lasts an arbitrary amount of time?

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post Aug 5 2005, 02:39 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 12

How about these:

Ignoring latitude restrictions, elevation restrictions and terrain restrictions imposed by EDL, if you could put a third MER rover anywhere on Mars, where would you put it and why?

Apart from the water story uncovered by Opportunity, which one discovery about Mars made by the MER rovers do you find to be the most scientifically compelling?

+Quote Post
odave
post Aug 5 2005, 03:01 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 209

Similar to SFJCody's first question:

* Given that it's been harder for Spirit to come up with evidence of past water, have you wished one of the alternate landing sites had been picked instead?

Not a valid question, really, since without Spirit going there we wouldn't know what we know now. tongue.gif

I'm glad Spirit put down in Gusev - it's a very interesting and photogenic place. And we may not have had all of those cool dust devil movies!

--------------------
--O'Dave

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Aug 5 2005, 06:42 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 385

Will Squyres lead as main scientist for the present MER project as the MSL project?

I like the SFJCody and Olave questions about the 3rd MER.

I think there is a 3rd MER in the laboratory and would like to ask him if this 3rd MER will be sent to Mars soon?

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
odave
post Aug 5 2005, 08:30 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 209

Good thing I blew out of work early - Steve Squyres was on NPR's Science Friday this afternoon, along with Richard Zurek talking about MRO, *and* Mike Brown talking about 2003 UB313.

I missed Mike Brown and the first five minutes of the interview with Steve. Good show though, the audio should be archived for download after 6:00pm ET.

--------------------
--O'Dave

+Quote Post
remcook
post Aug 5 2005, 08:38 PM
Post #26

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

Talking about the book...it looks like it is Part I (or: the making of...)
will there be a part II (science results)?. Both rovers are still functioning, so that might take a while...

+Quote Post
lyford
post Aug 6 2005, 12:41 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 124

I just dl'd Steve's interview through the magic of podcasting.... and the mp3s are now up on the NPR link in odave's post if you don't have itunes set to get Science Friday automatically...

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
dot.dk
post Aug 6 2005, 05:30 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 107

Ok, some Q's for the great Steve biggrin.gif

1. IF one or both rovers will manage to reach SOL 1000 will there be any S1k bug in the software? And if so, is it being worked on?

2. Do you follow the different Mars/MER communitys on the Internet and what do you think about the general interest in the MER mission after such a long time?

Would be interesting to know the answer to the second one wink.gif

--------------------
"I want to make as many people as possible feel like they are part of this adventure. We are going to give everybody a sense of what exploring the surface of another world is really like"
- Steven Squyres

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Aug 6 2005, 06:26 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 116

Thanks for the link to that audio, odave. It was an interesting interview with SS, despite a few party-crashers and other clueless people that called in. They were quickly dispatched by the adept host. Too bad some of us didn't manage to call in. Fortunately, Doug has provided this access to Steve's ear. There are not likely to be any bad questions here.

I thought I had a fair chance with the questions I sent in, but there have been some really good questions proposed. I paticularly like the ones about alternate MER landing sites, but I can't help but think that deglr6328 trumped everyone with his question about Carl Sagan.

I can't help but take a shot at an answer to SFJCody's alternate landing site question. Besides, it will give us something to discuss while we await Steve Squyres' answers to the questions Doug asks him.

If I didn't have to worry about the survival of the mission during EDL, I'd toss a MER into the bottom of Valles Marineris. It seems that would be a pretty good place to find signs of water, or at least groundwater. There might even be some springs down there.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Aug 6 2005, 07:05 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 116

It just occurred to me that since I sent Doug my questions via the email address he posted, they were not publically posted. Since we are discussing the submitted questions, perhaps I should post my two questions here.
Opportunity Question
Many people in the UnmannedSpaceflight forum see the Etched Terrain as a wasteland that Opportunity needs to pass through on the way to Victoria Crater. Some of us believe the Etched Terrain will be a treasure trove of science targets that will perhaps keep Opportunity busy for the rest of its already amazing life. Now that you are seeing the Etched Terrain through the rover's eyes, what are your thoughts on this new terrain?
Specifically:
• What different kinds geologic investigations do you hope to perform there that can't be performed in impact crater exposures?
and
• What do you expect the topography to be like as Opportunity heads further into this terrain?

Spirit Question
The fascinating rock textures and geochemistry we have observed as Spirit has trekked upward in the Columbia Hills have fascinated many of us. Do you have enough data to confidently determine if the rocks were created by volcanic or impact processes, and if so, which would that be.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:03 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.