Reply to this topicStart new topic
New Horizons late cruise, 500 Millions kms - ~200 million kms
jasedm
post Sep 1 2014, 07:25 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 655

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Sep 1 2014, 05:47 PM) *
Yes, Pluto's position is well known but there are alsways some pointing errors even though Cassini's pointing is amazingly accurate and stable compared to e.g. Voyager and Galileo.

Cassini's trajectory is similarly amazingly accurate - apparently within 90 metres of planned position during the latest Titan flyby!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Sep 1 2014, 07:39 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 655

Bookmarked - thanks!

Great to know we're invited along on the ride.

Those images that finally start to exceed Hubble resolution will be phenomenal - I wonder what we'll see?

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post Sep 2 2014, 05:21 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 557

When the resolution gets down to about 100 km per pixel, it might look something like the maps David Tholin, Marc Buie and Keith Horne came up with and published in this paper:

Mutual Occutation Results

Thanks to the work Tholin and others put into making those observations and deciphering the results, we already have a better look at one hemisphere of Pluto (and Charon) than Hubble can give us. I'm looking forward to seeing how well they match up to direct pictures from New Horizons. I'm expecting they'll match pretty well.

+Quote Post
vjkane
post Sep 2 2014, 10:24 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 351

I read that Alan Stern showed an image at a recent event of New York City at the best resolution that New Horizons will achieve at Pluto. Does anyone have a link to this? My Google search failed. Thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Sep 2 2014, 10:28 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (vjkane @ Sep 3 2014, 12:24 AM) *
Does anyone have a link to this?

This?

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpaceListener
post Sep 2 2014, 10:38 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 3299

An interesting and detailed report about the comments of Alan Stern about the final preparations of New Horizons.
A mission to Pluto enters the home stretch
“Beginning in May, we exceed Hubble resolution,” Stern said, a reference to the best images of Pluto taken to date. “It will get better week by week” through the July flyby.

+Quote Post
Astroboy
post Sep 3 2014, 01:41 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 7250

PBS better air a "Pluto All Night" special!

--------------------
aka the Vidiconvict

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 3 2014, 03:50 AM
Post #38

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Given the bit-rate from that distance, it might have to be a "Pluto All Month"...wink.gif

Actually, though, that's something I'm curious about--plans for public broadcast of the encounter. Alan, have you guys developed anything detailed on this yet?

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Sep 3 2014, 04:01 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 173

QUOTE (nprev @ Sep 3 2014, 03:50 AM) *
Given the bit-rate from that distance, it might have to be a "Pluto All Month"...wink.gif

Actually, though, that's something I'm curious about--plans for public broadcast of the encounter. Alan, have you guys developed anything detailed on this yet?

Nick- In fact, we just started that discussion today.

-Alan

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 3 2014, 11:53 PM
Post #40

Merciless Robot

Outstanding! smile.gif

Suggestion: You should invite noted space journalists & bloggers to participate; there are many such in the present amateur space enthusiast community!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Sep 4 2014, 09:44 AM
Post #41

Member No.: 615

UMSF has been riding along with New Horizons since before she launched.
It's worth going back to page one of this thread and reading the first few posts.
In fact read back through the 110+ pages as we followed the adventure.

Thanks to Alan Stern for giving us his insights and feedback throughout the mission.

I second Nick's suggestion. Maybe there's some good value of "space science's finest communicators" (many of them to be found here) getting a chance to share that unique moment in July next year. They can do some great outreach and best of all, they're free! wink.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Sep 4 2014, 01:14 PM
Post #42

QUOTE (nprev @ Sep 4 2014, 12:53 AM) *
Outstanding! smile.gif

Suggestion: You should invite noted space journalists & bloggers to participate; there are many such in the present amateur space enthusiast community!

Nick- We already have a plan along these lines, stay tuned as we get closer.

-Alan

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 4 2014, 04:34 PM
Post #43

Merciless Robot

I should know better than to try to teach the teacher. Great, looking very much forward to the plans; thanks, Alan!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Sep 5 2014, 06:51 PM
Post #44

QUOTE (nprev @ Sep 4 2014, 05:34 PM) *
I should know better than to try to teach the teacher. Great, looking very much forward to the plans; thanks, Alan!

That's going a bit far on credit, but thank you Nprev.

+Quote Post
Xerxes
post Sep 8 2014, 02:52 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 4097

QUOTE (Alan Stern @ Sep 1 2014, 10:28 AM) *
Debuting today! Pluto Picture of the Day (PPOD)

Is there a PPoD archive? I got here a bit late and due to my busy job might not make it every day.

(It seems like just yesterday when I had time to spend all day at my desk F5ing Where Is NH? until it crossed Lunar orbit.)

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:58 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.