4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
ICE is alive !
robspace54
post Nov 8 2008, 03:42 AM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 758

Fantastic! If he has access to any info on the spacecraft itself such as diagrams, photos, or 3-view drawings those would be awesome to see. Tell him I'm glad the little spaceprobe that could is still active! :-)

Rob
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Nov 8 2008, 07:05 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (Weasle @ Nov 6 2008, 09:55 AM) *
If you all have any questions I am sure I can get them answered by talking with her dad. He lives right down the street and they are trying to get the satellite back to do more missions and then finally put it in the Smithsonian.

There's a good question inherent in here... if they do manage to arrange another comet rendezvous, does ICE return to earth again?

+Quote Post
Weasle
post Nov 9 2008, 01:08 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 4477

They have two missions planned and are discussing funding for them currently to send it to two more coments. Originally they were just going to capture it and place it in the Smithsonian.

John, my girlfriends father, he actually let me read the engineer manual / information book for ICE. And he let me look at like, 7 to 8, big old style photographs, you know the kind, 70s film picture looking.

What is the best way you think after I get them back from him, scan them just like a normal picture?

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 9 2008, 02:23 AM
Post #34

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

I'd like to know more about any putative retrieval plan. Aerobraking would seem to defeat the entire stated purpose, since it would presumably erode (and contaminate) any accreted cometary material, even assuming that the final orbit would be accessible (altitude, inclination, eccentricity, etc.) Plus, how would we get it? I can't see NASA signing off on an add-on Shuttle mission for this purpose, and nothing in the Constellation architecture seems capable of doing so.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Nov 9 2008, 03:41 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 530

ICE was donated to the Smithsonian during the heydey of grandiose plans for the Shuttle... I'm sure there will be no retrieval in the next couple decades. I was just curious how many decades, if it indeed flies by earth again then.

+Quote Post
dmuller
post Nov 9 2008, 08:51 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 4093

I was wondering about the capture itself. Would a delta-v of 150m/s be enough to recapture ICE into Earth orbit (possibly with a Galileo-style Moon flyby)? I dont think the craft was designed for aerocapture, and aerobraking it from a highly elliptical orbit into a more normal orbit may get rid of any cometary evidence on the craft. And then the bigger question: what is going to actually capture the craft? The Shuttles supposedly stop flying 4 years before ICE returns to Earth.

Note to self: keep 2014/2015/2016 free of appointments. Will be a busy time: Dawn, Rosetta, New Horizons, possibly MSL, ExoMars, Juno ... EDIT and of course: ICE!

--------------------

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Nov 10 2008, 02:06 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (dmuller @ Nov 9 2008, 02:51 PM) *
Note to self: keep 2014/2015/2016 free of appointments. Will be a busy time: Dawn, Rosetta, New Horizons, possibly MSL, ExoMars, Juno ... EDIT and of course: ICE!

For a moment, it sounded like you were citing an EDIT spacecraft. I figured it out quickly, but... the concept of an EDIT spacecraft is interesting. Here's a potential mission description:

"The EDIT spacecraft will be sent to a variety of celestial targets that have already been visited by other space probes. EDIT's mission is to adjust the data returned by these earlier missions to make them conform with our own theories."

rolleyes.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
robspace54
post Nov 13 2008, 03:41 PM
Post #38

QUOTE (Weasle @ Nov 8 2008, 08:08 PM) *
They have two missions planned and are discussing funding for them currently to send it to two more coments. Originally they were just going to capture it and place it in the Smithsonian.

John, my girlfriends father, he actually let me read the engineer manual / information book for ICE. And he let me look at like, 7 to 8, big old style photographs, you know the kind, 70s film picture looking.

What is the best way you think after I get them back from him, scan them just like a normal picture?

Your scanner may be able to "interpret" the photo and suggest how to best scan them. Let your scanner take a shot at the suggested settings and see how they look. Really like to see some of the spacecraft!

Rob

+Quote Post
Weasle
post Nov 14 2008, 03:35 PM
Post #39

My girlfriend scanned me some, 15 to 20 pictures from the original photos taken back way back when, before I was born! lol.

They are in my email now and I will post them up when I get time later.

+Quote Post
Weasle
post Nov 14 2008, 03:42 PM
Post #40

Hmm, most of them are old files about ICE details, like scans of the original documents from NASA.

They are in adobe format so I will have to find a file sharing site or program, as now currently I only have photobucket.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 14 2008, 09:59 PM
Post #41

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Weasle sent me the files and I zipped 'em up and am hosting them here:
http://planetary.org/emily/ISEE.zip

I won't actually have time to read them until next week, most likely...

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
robspace54
post Nov 14 2008, 11:29 PM
Post #42

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Nov 14 2008, 04:59 PM) *
Weasle sent me the files and I zipped 'em up and am hosting them here:

Thanks to Emily (for hosting the files), and to 'weasle' and to his gilrfriend's dad for allowing us to see these documents. Nice photo of the little space ship that could (and probably still can)!

Rob

+Quote Post
infocat13
post Nov 15 2008, 05:05 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 479

people turn off spacecraft for funding reasons......................................look at what we know now, that you can redirect existing space craft for new missions so I think a mission team can walk away from a spacecraft but please put her in powerd down mode but with transmiteer squaking or able to recieve a command.

ICE was one of the first redirecting a space craft to a whole new mission.NASA's halley comet mission had just been killed( death of Mariner mark II ?)

So..........................how much fuel is onboard?
and what is her future trajectory?
what instruments still work
sorry ICE had no imaging

+Quote Post
Weasle
post Nov 15 2008, 01:42 PM
Post #44

I believe one of those papers that are hosted details how much fuel is left. I believe her trajectory is covered in one of the articles some where on this site as well. All of the intruments work except main battery for storing solar energy, and one of her antennas are not responding. Not sure of which one, it isnt the main one though, the one on top.

Correct, ICE had no cameras.

My name is Carlos by the way, and thank you very much Emily for hosting.

I should be able to send more scans of information next week.

+Quote Post
robspace54
post Nov 16 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #45

Here is a tiny URL link - http://tinyurl.com/6quhfd - to an October 1977 NASA document with the ISEE A, B, and C press kit on pages 18 to 48.

Rob

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:04 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.