Reply to this topicStart new topic
Cape York - The "Lakelands", Starting sol 2703
helvick
post Sep 29 2011, 11:23 PM
Post #166

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

Possibly the best double act comment pair on the site, ever...

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Sep 30 2011, 01:01 AM
Post #167

Group: Members
Member No.: 530

QUOTE (helvick @ Sep 29 2011, 07:23 PM) *
Possibly the best double act comment pair on the site, ever...

Call it the Burns formation.

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Sep 30 2011, 10:17 AM
Post #168

Member No.: 105

"Say goodnight, Gracie..."

Supposedly Oppy will be doing a MB integration at Salibury for a few days, but in the pipeline are images of the Next Drive Direction (P2397) and a super-res image set at Sutherland Point (presumably the post-C.York target).

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt Lenda
post Sep 30 2011, 01:34 PM
Post #169

Member No.: 6066

Yeah, there's a veritable fork in the road today and Monday. They are possibly going to simply "rinse and repeat" the last few sols' plans of MB integrations, since we get two "free" sols of it when we make the weekend plans on Fridays. There seems to be agreement that we shouldn't drive away just yet. Monday is likely going to be a "clean up and drive off" day.

-m

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Sep 30 2011, 02:21 PM
Post #170

Agreed, the in-place bedrock nearby appears to be similar to Salisbury so Oppy's done all that can be done at this location. They might want to zap the RAT hole with the MB for a longer integration time, but that's all. They need to work their way up-hill to the next outcrop on the way to the CRISM clays near the "summit crater". Geologically there was so much happening here that moving a short distance up in the section will put us in a whole 'nuther sequence of events.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post Oct 1 2011, 06:52 PM
Post #171

Member No.: 353

The L2 Pancam view on Sol 2732.

Jan van Driel

Attached Image

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Oct 1 2011, 07:58 PM
Post #172

Member No.: 3988

Some really facinating topography here smile.gif
Attached Image

+Quote Post
fredk
post Oct 1 2011, 08:17 PM
Post #173

Member No.: 152

I see you added some shear to the images to "flatten out" the anaglyph, James. Did you do that by hand, or using some automated routine?

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 1 2011, 09:24 PM
Post #174

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

That's quite the anaglyph! I wouldn't want to try driving over it if that was the real topography...

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Stu
post Oct 1 2011, 10:28 PM
Post #175

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Colourised sol 2732 panorama...

Attached Image

Full size version on my RtE blog later.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 1 2011, 11:04 PM
Post #176

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

It's important to differentiate between color and colorized. That mosaic, Stu - is color. Taking a Navcam pan and tinting it orange would be colorized.

One creates something with more information than the component parts alone, the other, technically, reduces it. Yours - importantly - is the former.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Oct 1 2011, 11:11 PM
Post #177

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

You're right, my mistake. Long, not particularly clean day at work, knackered, meant to say colour.

Fascinating place, Cape York, isn't it? And we were worried it would be a flat, featureless "Nothing to see here, move along" kind of place. Looking forward to looking back down on it from halfway up Tribulation one day... smile.gif

Edit: 3D crop view...

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Oct 2 2011, 05:08 AM
Post #178

Member No.: 3988

QUOTE (fredk @ Oct 1 2011, 12:17 PM) *
Did you do that by hand, or using some automated routine?

I used the warp transform in Photoshop to manually align the red channel (left eye) with features in right eye.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 2 2011, 12:00 PM
Post #179

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Ah - that is why the result has some dramatic wavy distortions in it.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Oct 2 2011, 01:41 PM
Post #180

Here are some images I've worked up whilst musing the delivery of a set of "Next Drive Direction" Pancams last week.

First off is a recent HiRISE image of Cape York showing Oppy at the Chester Lake outcrop. Annotated, it shows Oppy as R, possible site "Skead Kirkland Lake" as 1, possible site "BostonCreek LarderLake" as 2 and an unidentified rock pile seen on the horizon of the drive direction panorama as 3. The dashed yellow line is simply the observed "trend" in the outcrops seen in the aerials-- the strata on the rim of crater Endeavour are tilted or uplifted and dip towards the northwest. Features aligned along this trend direction are likely of a similar age and, although there may be differences in the rocks, they are linked by time of formation. Strata downhill will be older and strata uphill will be younger in age. As a general rule, more-or-less.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r91/wil...-2730-annot.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r91/wil...97L2M1-pano.jpg

The outcrop Skead Kirkland Lake is one we've drooled at before and is an interesting-looking exposure. Why is there an unusual purplish iridescent sheen to the rock? I'll guess it's a weathering phenomenon, which is the important step in turning silicate rocks into clays. Wouldn't hurt to have a closer look-- not necessarily a full IDD session, but a series of close-in Pancams would be peachy.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r91/wil...19P2398L2M1.jpg

Next would be the outcrop BostonCreek LarderLake **. Along the trend-timeline as Skead, but why is it different? Look at the number of beds seen in this outcrop. Whereas most of the rocks seen here have been a massive impact breccia (apparently), this unit is more finely bedded, which implies different depositional processes were at work here. And just over the hill is the "summit crater" with the CRISM clays scattered about, so "Boston" is a important puzzle piece. I tried to merge the color information with the grayscale detail, but couldn't get it to work out, so here are two similar but different views.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r91/wil...P2540L2M1-1.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r91/wil...1--crop-enh.jpg

--Bill

** "BostonCreek LarderLake" has been named Shoemaker Ridge (after Gene Shoemaker, a planetary geologist).

--------------------

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 04:56 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.