Reply to this topicStart new topic
Phoenix over Heimdall Crater, - a signature image in space exploration
mars loon
post May 29 2008, 01:46 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 212

QUOTE (Oersted @ May 28 2008, 08:03 PM) *
It is an image that will make for great big-size poster art, so that it won't be marred by the close-up box in the corner, which must go away, just for the sake of beauty.

I agree. This is an iconic, jaw dropping image for the ages that evokes both the poetry and humanity which Rob described in that referenced post.

Personally I think the close up box is absolutely required for context: Parachute plus Crater makes the magic.

the position of the box is debatable

just a thought as I try to detach my jaw from the table

ken

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tuvas
post May 29 2008, 02:26 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 1062

As to the frequent comments of looking for the heat shield, well, it should be there somewhere close, but it would be very hard to tell a tiny heat shield from the rocks at the bottom of the crater. The parachute being so bright and very much unnatural, well, helps alot... A heat shield would look alot like a rock...

I suspect that the way it will be found is by a future HiRISE image of the site, looking to see if any of the black dots in the area are missing...

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post May 29 2008, 09:44 AM
Post #18

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

I, like others, am also of the opinion that the zoomed box is required.
The WOW factor on the image is based not only on our knowledge that those little "dots" are the parachute & lander but (and more important, imo) on the fact that (almost) all of us already saw the zoom image the day before and have that picture on our minds. But this image with the crater is not only for us here at this and similar forums, it's for the whole mankind; it should be understood by anybody else looking at the picture. Without the zoom, those little dots are just that: little dots.

BTW, yesterday I submited a request to APOD and I'm pretty sure I was not alone...

+Quote Post
ugordan
post May 29 2008, 10:26 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ May 29 2008, 11:44 AM) *
BTW, yesterday I submited a request to APOD and I'm pretty sure I was not alone...

Judging by this line on the APOD site: "Tomorrow's picture: dramatic oblique", I think we know what's coming up tomorrow!

--------------------

+Quote Post
fredk
post May 29 2008, 02:48 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 152

About the zoom box, I almost feel guilty nitpicking this image, but my only criticism is that the diagonal lines don't connect corresponding corners...

+Quote Post
um3k
post May 29 2008, 03:00 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 372

I noticed that too, fredk.

+Quote Post
Ant103
post May 29 2008, 03:35 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 678

Fredk : maybe something like this?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
fredk
post May 29 2008, 03:46 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 152

Beautiful, Ant! And I see you've got the small box more accurately indicating the zoomed area, too.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post May 29 2008, 03:50 PM
Post #24

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Looks a bit pumpkin-orange to me -- I'd prefer more muted colors.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Ant103
post May 29 2008, 04:12 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 678

Okay Emily wink.gif. An other try with a bit desaturation :

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
GuyMac
post May 29 2008, 04:32 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 1292

We have made higher resolution versions available of the crater and the contrast enhanced spacecraft (look for "unannotated" near the bottom of the page).

I've put together a new version of the descent image with inset using the higher-resolution versions. It is 4096x2038 and 5.1 MB.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post May 29 2008, 04:37 PM
Post #27

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Awesome, GuyMac, thanks. I assume the answer to this question is "no" but I'll ask anyway: was any color data taken at the time that this photo was shot?

EDIT: Just saw this at the bottom of the page Guy linked to: "HiRISE is currently producing its standard product images for this observation, but it is unlikely that a color version will be available, since the above image is not within the camera’s color swath."

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post May 29 2008, 04:47 PM
Post #28

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

QUOTE (GuyMac @ May 29 2008, 09:32 AM) *
I've put together a new version of the descent image with inset using the higher-resolution versions. It is 4096x2038 and 5.1 MB.

Sweet! I presume that's the version up on the HiWall now?

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post May 29 2008, 04:50 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 197

I was thinking the same thing about the color in the Heimdall image. I'm guessing not. If we could encourage someone to arrange for a color image from either HIRISE or other device at a similar angle at a time in the near future, it wouldn't be difficult to drop in the color behind the original.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
GuyMac
post May 29 2008, 04:59 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 1292

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ May 29 2008, 09:37 AM) *
Awesome, GuyMac, thanks. I assume the answer to this question is "no" but I'll ask anyway: was any color data taken at the time that this photo was shot?

EDIT: Just saw this at the bottom of the page Guy linked to: "HiRISE is currently producing its standard product images for this observation, but it is unlikely that a color version will be available, since the above image is not within the camera’s color swath."

--Emily

Right, we may be able to get the center of the crater in color, but it failed the automatic color co-registration, probably because the CCD offset and overlap corrections don't match anything we've done before.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:45 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.