Rosetta's Earth Swing-by, 13th November, 2007
tedstryk
post Nov 21 2007, 03:37 PM
Post #61

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (ugordan @ Nov 21 2007, 12:45 PM) *
Very cool image, but I get the feeling they forgot to account for nonlinearity of the computer screens.

Depends. The problem with compensating for the nonlinearity of a monitor is that it really washes out low contrast features. In reality the image has a far wider dynamic range than can be shown on a computer monitor, and Earth, with its dark oceans, somewhat brighter land, and really bright clouds really strains this. What I am saying is that it may not be accidental. It is a trade-off. One can compress the dynamic range on a monitor in a linear way and better replicate the relative brightness of things, or one can privilege the more interesting parts of the dynamic range and preserve low contrast details.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Nov 21 2007, 04:36 PM
Post #62

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Nov 21 2007, 04:37 PM) *
One can compress the dynamic range on a monitor in a linear way and better replicate the relative brightness of things, or one can privilege the more interesting parts of the dynamic range and preserve low contrast details.

I was going for the former in this case. There's something about Earth that makes me want to see it appear as close as possible to what it would actually look like to human eyes, rather than doing any (in)advertent contrast enhancements. This is unlike oher objects like icy moons where the contrast is low and makes them look dull. This is our homeworld. You can compare low Earth orbit views taken by astronauts with ordinary cameras and see that they most of the time differ in contrast to these distant shots by space probes.

Of course, in the end computer screens still fail to visualize the sheer brightness of Earth in the blackness of space - it was often said to be painfully bright by Apollo astronauts as the eye had trouble adapting to a pitch black void and bright cloudtops at the same time.

Here's a fun comparison between Kaguya and Rosetta, processed to have a similar resolution and sharpness as Kaguya's shot (click to enlarge):

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pertinax
post Nov 21 2007, 05:22 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 181

QUOTE (helvick @ Nov 21 2007, 09:51 AM) *
...but I think this was a day or two before landfall.

I agree. The more I looked at the image I realized as well that it had to have been a day or two earlier than I first though.

-- Pertinax

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Nov 21 2007, 06:56 PM
Post #64

LOL! Am I really the first one to realize the Rosetta shot is actually mirrored left-right? biggrin.gif
Here's the correct view:

Attached Image

I knew there was something funny looking about that Australia smile.gif

Here's proof:
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Nov 21 2007, 08:05 PM
Post #65

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

QUOTE (volcanopele @ Nov 20 2007, 05:58 PM) *
Here is the image with north up and east to the right:

I did wink.gif

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Nov 21 2007, 08:49 PM
Post #66

QUOTE (volcanopele @ Nov 21 2007, 09:05 PM) *
I did wink.gif

Oh, my bad. I thought you just rotated it so north is up. I said to myself "where else would east be?" smile.gif

Someone ought to let the Rosetta team know, though..

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 04:17 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.