Phobos-Grunt
tolis
post Jun 13 2011, 10:07 PM
Post #361

Group: Members
Member No.: 4216

An update on launch preparations at

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/phobos_grunt_2011.html

The issue of flight control software maturity keeps rearing its ugly head.
I believe a similar issue was found to be responsible for the demise of the Phobos 1 & 2 missions
back in 1989.

I'm not sure if this comes under the heading of ``politics', but, in my opinion,
it was a mistake to opt for such an ambitious mission profile. A reflight of the Phobos
missions with in situ surface science being the main objective would still yield fantastic results and, more importantly,
would have provided a lot more margin for testing. This, above all other factors, has proven the primary killer of planetary
probes.

Anyway, I hope they pull it off. Even getting to orbit around Mars and releasing the Yinghuo module
would show that the Russians are back in business. Of course, if they do land on the surface and all
those lovely instruments start to send back data..yum, yum..

Tolis.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 13 2011, 11:29 PM
Post #362

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

I hope that translation difficulties are responsible for this FSW statement. I can buy off on uplinking patches; that happens all the time. But if they're talking about not flying with at least a full-up ver 1.0 of the FSW...boy oh boy, is that ever asking for trouble.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Ron Hobbs
post Jun 19 2011, 09:07 PM
Post #363

Member No.: 745

Got a chance to read a commentary by Frank Mooring, Jr. in the June 13 issue of Aviation Week. I don't subscribe, but my boss does, and get to read them.

It looks like there will be flybys of Deimos before Phobos-Grunt arrives at Phobos.

"After arriving in Mars orbit late next year, the mission will spend a few months studying the planet, Phobos and the smaller Deimos before closing on the larger moon and landing." smile.gif

I was wondering about that and hoping for more info on Deimos. I wish the Russians, the Chinese and the Americans good luck with their martian projects. I seems that while other are worrying about the end of the world, we will be celebrating the opening of a whole new realm of exploration at Mars.

(The article does not seem to be on the web.)

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Jun 19 2011, 09:35 PM
Post #364

Member No.: 530

The farside of Deimos is particularly underimaged, right? I wonder...

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 19 2011, 10:09 PM
Post #365

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

At LPSC last year I spoke to Chinese scientists working on their orbiter, and they were fully aware of the need for images of Deimos, and they were intending to take some. Their spacecraft will be deployed in a Deimos-crossing orbit and has no orbit-change capability of its own (I think). I didn't know Phobos-SRM would stay in that orbit long enough to also get images of Deimos but it makes sense that they would. There is a substantial chunk of Deimos, roughly longitudes 90 to 180 east, which has been seen only in one single image (a second one having been overexposed), so we don't even have stereo imaging of it. And many other areas with limited resolution or poor lighting.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jul 29 2011, 07:33 PM
Post #366

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Does anybody know of an updated diagram of Phobos-Grunt in landed configuration? All the pictures and diagrams I have show the old, domical design for the sample return capsule, which has apparently been changed to a cone whose pointy end sticks down into the spacecraft.

Even better would be a simulated view of the spacecraft sitting on Phobos....

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Jul 29 2011, 08:06 PM
Post #367

Member No.: 1004

it's not the same thing that you asked Emily, but there was a model of the launch configuration of F-G last month at the Paris air show in le Bourget
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9228922@N03/5.../in/photostream

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post Aug 9 2011, 06:39 AM
Post #368

Member No.: 1764

There was just 15 mins ago a talk at the AOGS Conference in Taipei. The speaker Mikhail
Verigin? was not one of the authors (which may be a sign that the project leadership
is busy back in Russia). They showed config drawings such as Emily described.

Launch is planned 11.11.2011 (window Oct 25- Nov 20 : not sure what this means -
was that merely a statement of when the optimum date in the window is, or is it a
concession that they know they wont be ready at the start of the window?)

Plan to acquire 10-20 samples, each 0.5-1.5cm3. Intriguingly there is a 'mail tube'
a (presumably pneumatic) transfer system to insert the samples into the return
capsule (not sure if/how the samples are kept separate)

Mission has the usual Russian huge complement of instruments including DTA-GS-MS,
laser ablation and secondary ion mass specs, seismometer, GPR etc.

One neat feature is the plan to use mutual radio occultation of PhG and YH-1 to study
the midnight and noon ionosphere (which of course you can't do from Earth).

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Aug 12 2011, 07:48 PM
Post #369

for UMSFers who can read Russian, here is the latest issue of Lavochkin's "Vestnik", with lots of technical papers on F-G

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 18 2011, 12:57 AM
Post #370

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

New placenames in the vicinity of the landing site:

http://astrogeology.usgs.gov/HotTopics/ind...for-Phobos.html

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
DEChengst
post Aug 19 2011, 03:35 PM
Post #371

Member No.: 133

Found this picture in a newsletter about MAKS 2011:

The article also mentions the possible Europa lander mission which is called "Sokol La-Plas".

--------------------
PDP, VAX and Alpha fanatic ; HP-Compaq is the Satan! ; Let us pray daily while facing Maynard! ; Life starts at 150 km/h ;

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Sep 24 2011, 09:31 AM
Post #372

According to this RIA-Novosti release (in Russian), F-G will ship to Baykonur on 29 September

+Quote Post
JTN
post Oct 4 2011, 08:50 PM
Post #373

Member No.: 563

This article on the IAC speculates that a 2011 launch is uncertain (no source given):
Popovkin also may meet with Chinese representatives on the status of the Phobos-Grunt mission to the Martian moon Phobos, with a Chinese probe riding piggyback. The mission has missed one planetary launch window already, and there are suggestions that continuing problems with the main Russian spacecraft may force another 26-month delay from the planned launch this fall.

I've not noticed this rumour anywhere else, and it seems hard to square with its reportedly being shipped to the launch site as reported in Emily's What's Up posting. Surely with only a month to go until the scheduled launch, those involved must know one way or the other by now?

+Quote Post
GEmin1
post Oct 14 2011, 08:32 AM
Post #374

Member No.: 6068

QUOTE (JTN @ Oct 4 2011, 09:50 PM) *
I've not noticed this rumour anywhere else, and it seems hard to square with its reportedly being shipped to the launch site as reported in Emily's What's Up posting.

Just MDU (main propulsion unit) was shipped to Baikonur, on Sept. 29, 2011:
http://www.roscosmos.ru/main.php?id=2&nid=17967

Other sections (cruise stage, return vehicle, truss & YH-1) will be delivered to cosmodrome on October 17th.
According to NK forum, the launch is planned at 20:16 UTC on November 7th.

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Oct 17 2011, 07:41 PM
Post #375

F-G has been airlifted to Baykonur today by an Antonov 124 heavy lifter

meanwhile, this is one of the best images of the fully wrapped probe I have seen so far http://www.laspace.ru/images/FOBOSover.jpg

+Quote Post

45 Pages V  « < 23 24 25 26 27 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:33 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.