24 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
Exquisite Saturn Images
ugordan
post Dec 7 2007, 06:23 PM
Post #241

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

I think it might be Tethys as well, it's brighter than other stuff visible (though that's a risky statement with raw jpeg footprints). That's probably Dione to the right, with a hint of dark terrain. Nice catch on the big storm previously detected by its radio emissions. The Dragon Storm 2?

My attempt at some color:

EDIT: Yep, those are Tethys and Dione with Enceladus at the far side. Additionally, Epimetheus and Pandora are detectable as small specks about halfway between Enceladus and Dione. Prometheus was around as well, but it's lost in front of Saturn's disc.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dilo
post Dec 8 2007, 07:57 AM
Post #242

Member No.: 150

Fantastic picture, gordan!

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Dec 8 2007, 01:12 PM
Post #243

Thanks, Marco. I'm particularly interested in low phase views such as this one as they seem to bring out much more variation in Saturn's atmospheric bands than what your typical medium-phase Cassini view shows. I don't know how much the color here can actually be trusted, but its striking that the northern hemisphere displays such discrete colors.
I guess sunlight coming straight down (well, as straght down as is possible at those latitudes at the moment) and reflecting straight up to the observer really helps reduce atmospheric scattering and absorption of certain wavelengths. It's at these phase angles that Saturn starts to look the way we see it from Earth. That's why it's a particular shame another big low phase mosaic (from below the ring plane) from February 2007 was overexposed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Dec 8 2007, 09:46 PM
Post #244

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Member No.: 437

Here's a 'work-in-progress' version of the latest mosaic:

Edit: I've adjusted the colours to something approaching the right balance; now all I need to do is register the moons and clouds...

Edit: Clouds are registered, now for the moons...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Dec 9 2007, 01:53 AM
Post #245

The finished product:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Dec 9 2007, 04:17 AM
Post #246

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Ian R @ Dec 9 2007, 01:53 AM) *
The finished product:

Incredible!

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 9 2007, 04:33 AM
Post #247

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

ohmy.gif ...closest thing any of us now living will ever come to seeing the real thing from this vista.

Thank you for the gift, Gordan.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Dec 9 2007, 06:23 PM
Post #248

Just for fun I made a flicker GIF between the two recent mosaics, click here to get it (1.4 megabytes). I may add in additional mosaics later, should any appear.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Dec 18 2007, 07:20 PM
Post #249

Another quick one:

--------------------

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Dec 18 2007, 09:03 PM
Post #250

Member No.: 184

Nice view and interesting that more of the small-scale circulation features are visible in the bluer regions, probably in relation to having less (yellowish) high-altitude haze/clouds.

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Dec 21 2007, 11:57 AM
Post #251

Member No.: 542

As I post this is currently the very top image on the Cassini raws page:

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...iImageID=138107

I'm amazed it's possible to follow the curves of the rings so well into their shadowed part. Not only that - looking carefully at the shadowed rings I can see the innermost edge lit by sunlight, presumably reflected from the sunlit rings onto the nightside of Saturn and then back onto the rings. That makes sense so far, but apart from that extreme inner edge the shadowed rings actually seem to be in sihouette, i.e. darker than the sky behind them, particularly the sky on the inside, near Saturn's nightside limb. Is this real? It's like one of your puzzles Ugordan.

Edit - No I see now it's not (having put it up on my big bright projector screen), but rather an effect of the digital contouring of light straying from the brighter parts of the scene. It almost looks like one of those space paintings that almost never show the sky as black. Nice view though, and no doubt part of something bigger that I hope to see here soon. smile.gif

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jan 1 2008, 10:28 PM
Post #252

Here's a couple of fun ones from the Jan 1, 2008 PDS batch. First, an unusual view:

When you see Saturn's nightside south of the equator overexposed, you know it's a long exposure. The ghostly bluish glow around the north pole is light bleeding from the sunlit, bluish northern latitudes.

A 2 frame mosaic of Saturn's southern latitudes, sharpened to bring out cloud features (1.6 MB):

And another short, 6 frame animation capturing Cassini's motion toward the ring plane and Saturn's rotation (watch the streaky clouds) (3.5 MB):

These frames also include another south footprint for a mosaic, but it's a bit awkward to mosaic the frames due to the long slew times Cassini needs causing noticeable perspective change and the fact there's no sharply defined features to hook onto.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Jan 1 2008, 11:08 PM
Post #253

Awesome views Gordan! (Happy New Year, by the way). cool.gif

Have you ever considered publishing your work in a book, via Lulu, perhaps? I would certainly buy a copy...

Ian.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 1 2008, 11:43 PM
Post #254

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Damn, man...just damn. blink.gif Gordan, your products make Saturn seem more like a real place then any other imagery I've seen from Cassini.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jan 2 2008, 04:36 PM
Post #255

Thanks, guys. Ian, you mean like a coffee-table-book-thingy? I never thought about that. I don't think I'd ever manage to pull off something like that since I'm almost never satisfied with the way these composites turn out and am often compelled to go back and work on them some more. You know, not actually "freezing" the product. Looking at it on paper later on I'd always manage to find things to improve on and that'd just bug me. smile.gif

Nick, for me the greatest "presence factor" comes from images that have something humans can easily relate to. Simple lens flare, for example - it gives even otherwise unremarkable images that "real" feeling instead of being almost synthetic, unreal. I'm personally fond of some very high phase Cassini views that show this a lot:

--------------------

+Quote Post

24 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2024 - 08:48 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.