Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Venus-Express Express
Guest_DonPMitchell_*
post Sep 24 2006, 12:19 PM
Post #1

Guests

I propose that NASA send a new probe to be named Venus-Express Express. It's mission is to go to Venus and check on what Venus Express is doing, and see if it is even still there.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Sep 24 2006, 01:22 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 385

QUOTE (DonPMitchell @ Sep 24 2006, 07:19 AM) *
I propose that NASA send a new probe to be named Venus-Express Express. It's mission is to go to Venus and check on what Venus Express is doing, and see if it is even still there.

Why? blink.gif I see no reason to send it for very small importance for a very high cost.

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
paxdan
post Sep 24 2006, 01:36 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 221

*whoosh*
head

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Sep 24 2006, 02:34 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Sep 24 2006, 02:22 PM) *
Why? blink.gif I see no reason to send it for very small importance for a very high cost.

It's called sarcasm, Rodolfo! cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
helvick
post Sep 24 2006, 03:57 PM
Post #5

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

QUOTE (ugordan @ Sep 24 2006, 03:34 PM) *

In any case sarcasm or not the deafening silence emanating from the halls of the ESA public outreach offices for VEX is just bloody typical.

And yes I know they are all really busy scientists and all the rest but it's my bloody tax euros that pays for it and I'm not feeling that its being well spent at the moment to be honest.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 24 2006, 06:01 PM
Post #6

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I totally agree and am utterly disgusted by the situation to be honest. If the opportunity is there - I will be asking questions about this at Valencia.

Doug

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Sep 25 2006, 12:00 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 321

[...]

+Quote Post
Guest_DonPMitchell_*
post Sep 25 2006, 12:33 PM
Post #8

Guests

Personally I think the difference is that ESA is embedded in the comfortable burocracy of the European Union. They simply do not have to care about public opinion -- it has less connection to their funding. NASA has a much larger budget, and it has to answer to congress for that money every year. It is not a foregone conclusion that they will keep getting it.

Also space programs are instruments for building national identity, and pan-European nationalism is still a work in progress. As such the ESA is probably considered important in Brussels.

As for academic psychology, I think that is a constant world-wide.

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Sep 25 2006, 02:05 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 385

QUOTE (ugordan @ Sep 24 2006, 09:34 AM) *

I am sorry that you say like that it. I think that it is a misunderstanding. I was just sceptic of this. I hope that case is over! wink.gif

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Sep 25 2006, 06:10 PM
Post #10

Guests

QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 24 2006, 08:01 AM) *
I totally agree and am utterly disgusted by the situation to be honest.

I'm not really surprised. Public outreach to date on VEx resembles MEx at the same stage in the mission. At least that's how it seems to me.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 26 2006, 01:48 AM
Post #11

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Come to that, it's far too easy to forget that MEx is still there!!! If we're going to launch a VEx-ex, might as well send a MEx-ex as well...

Cultural differences aside, I'm sure that the twin paradigms of "publish or perish" and "no bucks=no Buck Rogers" must hold true in the ESA as they do in NASA and the overall scientific community. Therefore, I am at a complete loss with respect to understanding the overwhelming lack of information from these missions.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
dilo
post Sep 26 2006, 06:01 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 150

QUOTE (nprev @ Sep 26 2006, 01:48 AM) *
Come to that, it's far too easy to forget that MEx is still there!!! If we're going to launch a VEx-ex, might as well send a MEx-ex as well...

And, for some aspects, MRO can be considered a MEx-ex! wink.gif

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 26 2006, 07:08 AM
Post #13

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Perhaps they could 'do an MGS' and image MEX with HiRISE just to make sure it's still there smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
ynyralmaen
post Sep 26 2006, 09:26 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 438

QUOTE (DonPMitchell @ Sep 25 2006, 02:33 PM) *
Personally I think the difference is that ESA is embedded in the comfortable burocracy of the European Union. They simply do not have to care about public opinion -- it has less connection to their funding. NASA has a much larger budget, and it has to answer to congress for that money every year. It is not a foregone conclusion that they will keep getting it.

Also space programs are instruments for building national identity, and pan-European nationalism is still a work in progress. As such the ESA is probably considered important in Brussels.

I think your general sentiments are correct, but remember that ESA and the EU are not one and the same. Clearly there's a big overlap in membership, but there are several countries that are members of one body and not of the other (e.g. Norway).

I wouldn't go so far as saying that ESA don't have to care about public opinion; they clearly benefit funding-wise in the long-term from high-profile, successful missions that the general public have heard about. As you implied, there's an extra layer separating ESA from the taxpayers compared to the US though, which insulates them to a certain degree.

The national funding agencies of the ESA member states do a lot of the publicity themselves, highlighting their separate contributions to various missions. The degree to which these agencies do that varies considerably. PPARC in the UK, for example, regard a commitment to public communication of the work they're funding as very important in awarding grants to e.g., university research groups. In some other countries, there is no such official requirement for results to be reported to the general public.

As the body responsible for entire missions, and hence the release of relevant data, I agree that ESA could be doing much more, and would benefit in the long-term from doing so. Maybe things would change if individual member states were to specifically require in return for their funding support some regular, fairly high-profile public updates from ESA on missions' progress, together with timely (though not premature) data releases.

+Quote Post
Jeff7
post Sep 26 2006, 02:18 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 180

QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 26 2006, 03:08 AM) *
Perhaps they could 'do an MGS' and image MEX with HiRISE just to make sure it's still there smile.gif

Doug

biggrin.gif
MRO *waves*
"Hi there, don't mind me, just making sure you hadn't left orbit!"

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:44 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.