2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
How to unzip LROC CDR images?
TerryH
post Jul 7 2010, 10:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5143

I have downloaded some LROC CDR 500MB images but am unable to unzip them. WinZip gives an error message - I suspect the zip file is too big for it. Irfan says it can't read the headers. NASAview seems to unzip them but displays them as completely white images but for a few hints of craters that appear as very pale grey.

Could anyone suggest an unzip program? Ideally I would like to display the images in Photoshop.

Terry.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 8 2010, 12:28 PM
Post #2

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

They are zipped? I use the EDRs, but I thought these could be opened as Photoshop Raw images, 16 bit, with dimensions given in the text label.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
TerryH
post Jul 8 2010, 10:36 PM
Post #3

I download them from the WMS browser at http://wms.lroc.asu.edu/lroc they come down as WinZip files. I am unable to try and open them in Photoshop because I only have Photoshop 7 and that can't handle the 52k pixels top to bottom. I might be able to display them in IrfanView or NASAview if I can unzip them.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 8 2010, 11:51 PM
Post #4

Ok, I'm doing one as an experiment, but it's downloading as an IMG file, not as zip. Maybe IMG files are associated with zip on your system so it looks like a zip file? As for not handling the full size, you can try just opening the first 30000 rows as an experiment, if you can't get the whole image (I've done that on an older machine) - enter the width, 5064 pixels, and the height, 30000. You'll get a message saying the size is smaller than the file but you just ignore it.

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 9 2010, 02:41 AM
Post #5

As I said I usually use the EDR, not the CDR. But there was no problem opening the CDR as a Photoshop raw. It's not zipped. Your older version of Photoshop might not allow you to open a raw as 16 bit, though I would have expected it to be Ok. If it's only the size that's a problem, all i can suggest immediately is to open the first 30000 lines or whatever the limit turns out to be. The other issue - as 16 bit, most of the detail is in the first 12 bits and you need to do a histogram stretch to get a nice-looking image.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Jul 9 2010, 07:05 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 4489

i am guessing that win is defaulting to " help" for a non Microsoft format and tring to use the 15 year old "MS zip" on the r-click menu
garbing a page at ran.
http://wms.lroc.asu.edu/lroc/view_lroc/LRO....0/M107694274LE
-- top left of page--
the EDR
/2009258/NAC/M107694274LE.IMG
the CDR
/2009258/NAC/M107694274LC.IMG
the Tiff
/2009258/M107694274LC_pyr.tif

the top 2 are in PDS .img format , 16 bit
NASAView will open then save it as a 8 bit indexed gif

photoshop should be able to open the tiff
( i do not own a copy of MS adobe Photoshop )
i open them in isis3 ( there is a " almost/sort-of" working microsoft version
i think it is text only -- no GUI , you need to type

also Imagemagick can open the IMG's with some help there is a text header before the image starts in the file
any hex editor ( including MS Visual Studio ) can read the beginning of the img file and you can use the header size there in the ( yes TEXT only) IM program "convert"

+Quote Post
TerryH
post Jul 13 2010, 11:50 AM
Post #7

Thanks for you suggestions but I am still not getting very far. I amended the file association for img files from WinZip to Photoshop and that has resolved that problem - thanks.

I still cannot open img files in Photoshop - I have downloaded the 30 trial version of Photoshop CS5 extended in case my old Photoshop 7 was causing the problem. I get a message "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document" when trying to open both EDR and CDR files.

I have also tried to open CDR TIFF but get 'Photoshop can only decode JPEG encoded images up to 32767 pixels wide or tall'. I cannot find an option in Photoshop to enable me to only open a certain number of lines.

I can open files in NASAview but it's not very easy to use and doesn't have a fraction of the functions that Photshop offers. If would be grateful for any suggestions that can help me to open img images in Photoshop.

Terry.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 13 2010, 01:14 PM
Post #8

You have to use 'open as...' (not 'open' )and choose 'raw' or 'Photoshop raw' as the file type. It then asks you for the file size. The width has to be exactly right but the height is flexible up to the full length of the image. Enter a header size of zero, but if the image appears split in two try again with a header size of (in this case I think) half the width.

Once it's open as a raw it can be saved in all common formats.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Jul 13 2010, 06:47 PM
Post #9

I still cannot open img files in Photoshop - I have downloaded the 30 trial version of Photoshop CS5 extended in case my old Photoshop 7 was causing the problem. I get a message "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document" when trying to open both EDR and CDR files.

as i STATED a .IMG is NOT a zip NOR IS IT A TIFF
a .img is a PDS FORMAT!!!!!!
and YOU CAN NOT open them in photoshop i already told you this!!!
( well you can with trial-error as a "raw" image )
use the tiff that they give you on the page a used as an example .

photoshop WILL NOT OPEN
-----
the EDR
/2009258/NAC/M107694274LE.IMG
the CDR
/2009258/NAC/M107694274LC.IMG
-----
but a 16bit HDR version of photoshop ( non free trial -- buy it )
will open
the Tiff
/2009258/M107694274LC_pyr.tif

and so will the opensource " nip2" -- even on MS Windows
and the old" Cinepaint "
the last two are free

+Quote Post
TerryH
post Jul 13 2010, 09:23 PM
Post #10

Phil...I have now opened .img EDR/CDR images in the Photoshop CS5 Extended using 'Photoshop raw' as the file type. They open perfectly. They initially open as rather grey images but I can easily get them to match the Zoomify images by adjusting the brightness and contrast. I have found that my free trial version of Photoshop CS5 opens the entire image opens the whole image where as Photoshop 7 only opens the first 30000 lines so it looks like I am going to have to upgrade.

Phil, thank you very much for all your help with this.

Terry.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jul 13 2010, 09:55 PM
Post #11

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Glad you got sorted out Terry. smile.gif People forget sometimes that UMSF is made up of members with many, many different levels of experience in things like image processing, just like they forget that even the most expert imager was a newbie originally. But one of the great things about UMSF is that there's always someone who will help you out with a problem and set you on the right track again (I have had lots of help from people like James, Ant and others myself). Looking forward to seeing what you make out of those images now! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jul 13 2010, 11:02 PM
Post #12

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Jul 14 2010, 02:18 AM
Post #13

chill, my apologies ,bad day .

+Quote Post
Guest_cassioli_*
post Sep 17 2010, 11:48 AM
Post #14

Guests

I have a different problem: some of the TIFF images, opened in IrfanView, XNView, Photophiltre or others, appear good, but others appear as made up of multiple orizontal strips which do not match one with the other!
Example:
http://wms.lroc.asu.edu/lroc/view_lroc/LRO....0/M119081861ME

What does it depends on?!?

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 17 2010, 12:06 PM
Post #15

Those are wide angle images. The strips are different wavelength sections for multispectral imaging. Several utilities to deal with them have been developed - look back through the Lunar Picture of the Day archive (Google it) a few weeks ago for details.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:56 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.