IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

21 Pages V  « < 19 20 21  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL Post Landing - Commissioning Period & Early Observations, Commissioning Activity Period 1B - Sols 9 through 16
marsophile
post Aug 30 2012, 08:42 PM
Post #301

Group: Members
Member No.: 4338

http://marsweather.com ADMIN: Link fixed

There seems to be a new website in preparation for the weather reports. But at there and the old site

http://cab.inta-csic.es/rems/marsweather.html

which is up to Sol 22 now, I notice there is no entry for the humidity. The humidity sensor is on Boom 2, the damaged boom. Does that mean the humidity sensor is non-operational? (Although that was not mentioned at the press conference where the damage was discussed.)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Aug 30 2012, 08:52 PM
Post #302

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

I setup a MSL Route Map thread to keep record of Curiosity path during the mission.
Some basic rules are on the first post but here too, just in case. (Phil, I "stole" your yesterday post here for that purpose. Hope you don't mind smile.gif )

Thread created for posting MSL route maps and map updates.
Comments / suggestions adding value to the route maps are allowed, but discussions regarding the route itself and "future" paths are not. Use the currently active thread for the latter.

+Quote Post
Doc
post Aug 31 2012, 09:17 PM
Post #303

Member No.: 3978

QUOTE (marsophile @ Aug 30 2012, 11:42 PM) *
There seems to be a new website in preparation for the weather reports.

which is up to Sol 22 now, I notice there is no entry for the humidity. The humidity sensor is on Boom 2, the damaged boom. Does that mean the humidity sensor is non-operational? (Although that was not mentioned at the press conference where the damage was discussed.)

I noticed the websites too marsophile. The humidity data must be missing for that reason (though according to the bbc which is where I got the news first they implied it was wind sensors only that might suffer a glitch.)

Whether or not they can recover the data is up to there engineering wizards.

--------------------
We talk of nothing but Curiosity here
Follow me on twitter or Google +

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Aug 31 2012, 09:35 PM
Post #304

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (marsophile @ Aug 30 2012, 01:42 PM) *
The humidity sensor is on Boom 2, the damaged boom. Does that mean the humidity sensor is non-operational?

I had the impression that the wind sensors were more fragile than the humidity sensor. http://cab.inta-csic.es/rems/rems_instrument.html
I don't know, but I'd be surprised if the humidity sensor was damaged.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Sep 1 2012, 06:01 PM
Post #305

Member No.: 184

QUOTE (serpens @ Aug 28 2012, 11:31 PM) *
All is explained. The Vaisala data sheet indicates that the probe measures relative humidity so this is probably no more than an descriptive error on the weather page.

Sounds good, though trying to specify an average relative humidity during the day with such large temperature swings becomes difficult to interpret. If we assume the specific humidity is approximately constant, then the saturation vapor pressure during the day would vary by orders of magnitude, as would the relative humidity.

It is impressive though the range of temperatures the probe can measure RH at:

http://cab.inta-csic.es/rems/rems_RHS_en.html

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
serpens
post Sep 1 2012, 11:56 PM
Post #306

Member No.: 4605

QUOTE (scalbers @ Sep 1 2012, 07:01 PM) *
If we assume the specific humidity is approximately constant, then the saturation vapor pressure during the day would vary by orders of magnitude, as would the relative humidity.

http://cab.inta-csic.es/rems/rems_RHS_en.html

Yeah, the thing is that a miniscule amount of water vapor remains miniscule regardless of the temperature driven level of saturation so specific or absolute humidity (rather than RH) would be the best metric.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Sep 6 2012, 08:39 AM
Post #307

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

Moved several posts related to the Descent Stage and debris to the MSL EDL Hardware thread.

+Quote Post
HSchirmer
post Mar 27 2022, 01:26 PM
Post #308

Member No.: 7619

QUOTE (jmknapp)
Finally found my red-blue glasses to check out some of the nice anaglyphs created by members here. Nice effects. Now I just wish there was a way to search for them by an "anaglyph" tag or some such. Or maybe a gallery page.

Quick follow up to a very old post-

You can search for anaglyphs-
1) click "search" in the top dark-grey bar
2) select the forum you wish to search
3) click 'More Options'
4) bottom left, select "show results as posts"
5) click 'Perform the Search' button

You'll get a list, with thumbnails of posts which include the term 'anaglyph', makes it easy to scroll through.

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  « < 19 20 21
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:46 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.