IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Distant Vistas 2 - The view from Cape Tribulation
ngunn
post Nov 17 2014, 08:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 542

The latest pancams show some interesting bumps on the far horizon as well as long 'swells' on the plain that might respond well to 'phil-o-vision'. Time for the 'Distant Vistas' team to resume work? I'm not going to attempt the first identifications as I have little idea what azimuths we're looking at. Also I don't know what visibility to expect with the current dust levels.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Phil Stooke
post Nov 17 2014, 10:00 PM
Post #2

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

By jingo - you're right... here's a stretched look at the western horizon. IDs will have to wait a bit.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Nov 18 2014, 12:26 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Nov 17 2014, 11:00 PM) *
By jingo - you're right... here's a stretched look at the western horizon. IDs will have to wait a bit. Phil

Thanks Phil and Ngunn : maybe we will be able to see also the distant rim of Bopolu crater on the western horizon when we reach the summit... (see Bopolu Crater herebelow : a Sol 2195 image) smile.gif
Attached Image

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Nov 19 2014, 12:04 AM
Post #4

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

Well I think it's likely that the central hazy feature is Bopolu.

Dusting off my 'inverse polar' analysis with my id's of a couple of more nearby craters.

Attached Image

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 19 2014, 12:55 AM
Post #5

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Good! And in addition, in the right foreground is a broad shallow depression visible in both pan and map.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Nov 19 2014, 12:18 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (Ant103 @ Nov 19 2014, 12:25 PM) *
Hi smile.gif I don't know if it's a come back, but I feel the envy to do some stitchings these days (maybe it's because the summit is near). So, Sol 3846 Navcam panoramic :

Thanks a lot, Damia ! How nice ! smile.gif

...and, Phil, jamescanvin and ngunn : -in theory- we would be able to discern from the very summit of Cape Tribulation a faint line lying on the north-western horizon showing Victoria Crater !
Herebelow as a reminder, Cape Tribulation as seen from the rim of Victoria Crater on Sol 986. Enjoy smile.gif
Attached Image

+Quote Post
polaris
post Nov 19 2014, 03:08 PM
Post #7

From: mes pieds à Paris, mon coeur dans les Pyrénées, mon esprit dans l'Espace
Member No.: 72

QUOTE (vikingmars @ Nov 19 2014, 01:18 PM) *
Thanks a lot, Damia ! How nice ! smile.gif

...and, Phil, jamescanvin and ngunn : -in theory- we would be able to discern from the very summit of Cape Tribulation a faint line lying on the north-western horizon showing Victoria Crater !
Herebelow as a reminder, Cape Tribulation as seen from the rim of Victoria Crater on Sol 986. Enjoy smile.gif

Well done, Olivier !

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Nov 19 2014, 04:09 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (vikingmars @ Nov 19 2014, 12:18 PM) *

Indeed. And a few sols ago Oppy took some images looking that way! I have been anxiously waiting for them to come down... pancam.gif

--------------------
Twitter

+Quote Post
fredk
post Nov 19 2014, 04:45 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (vikingmars @ Nov 19 2014, 01:18 PM) *
Cape Tribulation as seen from the rim of Victoria Crater on Sol 986.

Sorry, Viking, I have to correct you! I know it's been a long time since Victoria, but from there we only saw what we called the "Twin Peaks" on the north rim of Endeavour, and what we called "Cook", the highest peak on the east rim (the one with the prominent crater below the peak). The peak you show in your attachment is "Cook". Check out James's identification from Victoria in this post.

The first clear sighting of Tribulation I know of was on sol 1820 in this pancam frame. Again see James's identification in this post. That was near Cook Islands/Resolution, about 2 km south of Victoria.

It's still possible that Tribulation was technically visible from Victoria, but peeked only a couple of pixels above the horizon so wasn't discernable in pancam. In that case we would see the rim of Victoria from the summit of Tribulation. So it's definitely worth looking when we get there!

+Quote Post
climber
post Nov 19 2014, 06:19 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 682

I guess you all remember how we used to see Victoria coming from Endurance? Yes, the BEACON!
Any chance we could see a cliff of Victoria acting as a beacon...if the MER team is ever to command Oppy to take a picture by early morning?

--------------------

+Quote Post
marswiggle
post Nov 19 2014, 06:23 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 193

Vikingmars. fredk, climber: I have something to add here, an enlarged (2x) and stretched (2x) crop of this sol 950 pancam, or rather the equivalent anaglyph, showing exactly those few pixels of Cape Tribulation and some peaks to the south of it.

I think this was the highest location where Cape Tribulation ever was visible at Victoria, and the image represents something like the topmost 10-15 m of the Endeavour rim peaks seen from ~18 km away. Conversely, the high craggy wall of Cape St. Mary facing us now could be just discernible from the summit as a mere sliver of the whole with 1-2 pix of vertical extent, unless the horizon comes between even worse than I imagine and/or the weather renders visibility too poor.

(Edited for style and to correct minor errors.)
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
fredk
post Nov 19 2014, 08:38 PM
Post #12

As amazing as it sounds, I'm pretty sure that that bump just peeking above the horizon in marswiggle's post is a piece of the rim of Iazu, rather than Tribulation. The sky was extremely clear at that time. And Iazu should actually look a bit higher than Tribulation from Victoria.

Compare the view from 1820 (upper part of my new pic below, from James's post), when we got our first clear view of Tribulation with the bump in marswiggle's post (lower part):
Attached Image

In the upper part, Tribulation's on the left and Iazu on the right. It's pretty clear that the shape of marswiggle's bump (small bit on left, larger part on right) doesn't match the shape of Tribulation (two bits, taller one on right). But marswiggle's bump matches the shape of the Iazu piece pretty well. A fainter piece of Iazu farther to the right might be visible as well.

Still, we were definitely close to seeing Tribulation, and with another metre in rover height may just see Victoria from the summit...

+Quote Post
marswiggle
post Nov 19 2014, 09:31 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 193

Wow, fredk, never thought of that possibility. Another consideration, the azimuths from sol 950 location to the highest peaks of Endeavour / Iazu (using Google Mars) pretty much converge to each other, could they even be blended into one and the same blurred shape here? Admittedly, the shape in my previous post is largely similar to the Iazu outline, which does not exclude the possibility that Tribulation is 'shadowed' by the more distant rim.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Nov 19 2014, 10:43 PM
Post #14

Yikes, you may be right. Here's the Duck Bay - Iazu line of sight, showing it does come very close to Tribulation:
Attached Image

Something always looked odd about marswiggle's bump. The part circled in black looks less hazy than the rest (presumably Iazu). Maybe that's the highest bit of Tribulation, which was much closer and so should look less hazy:
Attached Image

This could be better checked using the PDS and combining the various frames, if someone has time...

But if this is right, it would mean we'll definitely have a line of sight to Victoria from the summit!

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Nov 20 2014, 08:43 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 19 2014, 10:43 PM) *
Something always looked odd about marswiggle's bump. The part circled in black looks less hazy than the rest (presumably Iazu). Maybe that's the highest bit of Tribulation, which was much closer and so should look less hazy:

That is pretty tantalizing - someone definitely needs to dig out and process the PDS data. pancam.gif smile.gif

--------------------
Twitter

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:29 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.